warsug step forward

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

I have been reading these posts and am very interested in applying myself.

Can anyone give me some pointers / or some advice as to how to (with the quickest possible time frame improve fitness). My goal is to reach the required 9.4 on the beep test (what ever is for a 24 year old).

What is the best? how often etc.. I have started swimming again.. But how often should I go?

I have pretty much been inactive for most of my life.. and i could probably run about 400 M (joggin) before needing a rest.. my ankles get very sore through running, or is this just normal??

any hints ona fitness regime, with maximum results in the most minimum time????

thanks
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

I'm currently in training... you need to be able to run at least a 10.1.. even if the required target is lower, they like to see you putting in the extra effort because you want to get in. I too, was inactive for most of my life.. I started off with basics.. Walking and weights. I was dieting as well.. and started with the walk.. then built up to a slow jog, now running. Doing weight increases the amount of muscles mainly on your legs.. and then maybe do some cardio work outs too. My advice would be to consult a doctor and show him the exercise program found on www.stepforward.wa.gov.au that they put there to train for the academy, and see what he thinks.
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

Schism_ wrote:I'm currently in training... you need to be able to run at least a 10.1.. even if the required target is lower, they like to see you putting in the extra effort because you want to get in. I too, was inactive for most of my life.. I started off with basics.. Walking and weights. I was dieting as well.. and started with the walk.. then built up to a slow jog, now running. Doing weight increases the amount of muscles mainly on your legs.. and then maybe do some cardio work outs too. My advice would be to consult a doctor and show him the exercise program found on www.stepforward.wa.gov.au that they put there to train for the academy, and see what he thinks.

ahh ok thankyou. So how are you going with it so far?. and do you excercise every day?
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

I concentrate on cardio workouts 3 times a week, then weight training the other 2 days, then 2 days rest for my body to recover. I have noticed a huge difference.. When I first started, I could only run a 5.1 in the beep test.. I'm now maintaining high 9's, which still aren't good enough. My aim is lvl 11 or more, so a bit to go yet.
silent_wingz

Post by silent_wingz »

How long ago were you getting level 5, if you dont mind me asking?
i.e How long have you been 'going at it'?
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

About 4 months... That's non stop.. I exercise at least 1 - 2 hours a day, run in the morning, swim in the arvo Mon - Wed... Swim in the morning, Weights in Arvo Thurs - Fri.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

You know silent_wingz, - He sounds like the perfect candidate to "step forward" ;) - Good on you Schism - No need to say good luck to you, you'll blitz the tests anyways :wink: 8)
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Yeah, I'm not looking at applying for 8 - 12 months or so anyway, still got plenty of years left in me :P
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

I know this subject has been a bit quiet for a while, but how is everyone going with their applications?

Any other prospective applicants???
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

Last edited by Smithy on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

I put my application in last week ... Finally :smt041 :smt051 :smt041
><((((º>··`·...·`·...·`··><((((º>
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

radiohead wrote:I put my application in last week ... Finally :smt041 :smt051 :smt041
Yay!!!
What made it take so long for you to do it?
Just asking because I am thinking of doing same, but I never quite get to doing it. Some days I am super keen, then some days I am less keen....
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

I can understand what your saying Bobby.

Personally, I wanted to have all of the supplementary parts done before putting it in, rather than sending bits at a later date.

There was a few months waiting list after booking in for the Senior First Aid course but that wasn't a bad thing really.

But I'd say the main thing for me was the mental preparation. After all it is a pretty big decision to make and I wanted to be certain of it.

:smt045
><((((º>··`·...·`·...·`··><((((º>
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

Well I am glad I am not the only one. It is a HUGE decision to make. It is not really a job application that you would want to take lightly.....
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

radiohead wrote:I put my application in last week ... Finally :smt041 :smt051 :smt041
You werent in the line when the train guards came down and put there name to Be cop
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here