RIP Polair 61

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

One of those elvis water bomber helicopters could slow up a car chase or escapee on foot.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Toottoot wrote:One of those elvis water bomber helicopters could slow up a car chase or escapee on foot.

:lol: :lol:
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Roger VKI - the POI is the wet one
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Heard this ages ago but it was a secret.

From memory they are getting 2 smaller choppers that are cheaper to run and maintain than the current one!
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Maybe a couple of those ultra lights with the parachutes and a strong eveready torch with a Kodak digital camera gaffa taped to the belly.
:roll:
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

polair was sitting outside then hanger today getting wet
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

I had also heard this whisper a while back and I am putting my money on them getting a couple of these Bad Boys ... This is of course if the winch is to abandoned and those jobs left for Rescue 65. I`ll do some poking around and see what other info i can turn up.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Did you visit the Ruffduss today Munchy?? What did you get to do and see?
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

yup didnt see much there umm then went around and saw rescue 65 and some critical care paramedics training then had a sqishy car ride home and was sick
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Always RX wrote:I had also heard this whisper a while back and I am putting my money on them getting a couple of these Bad Boys ... This is of course if the winch is to abandoned and those jobs left for Rescue 65. I`ll do some poking around and see what other info i can turn up.
Those Choppers are awesome, same as Vic Police. I saw one of those flying between the buildings in the Melboune CBD. :shock:
trent

Post by trent »

I think the MD-500 series (or similar) helicopters would be great for Police support (not so much in rescue situations), super agile and pretty damn quick too, I think that a few Law Enforcment agencies in the U.S use them....plus they look pretty smick :)

Hughes 369A

This is my signature, get you own!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

trent wrote:I think the MD-500 series (or similar) helicopters would be great for Police support (not so much in rescue situations), super agile and pretty damn quick too, I think that a few Law Enforcment agencies in the U.S use them....plus they look pretty smick :)

Hughes 369A

Trent, awsome pic of the Hughs chopper - Wouldnt be bad if they did...
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

Like the signature Trent! :lol:
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

Last edited by Lucas_arts_182 on Thu May 15, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

But it's a very, very old design now. That's a 500C (the 500D has a 'T' tail) that would getting on for 30 years old. It's got the same engine as the Bell Jet Ranger (Allison 250-C20) but a bit faster. The NOTAR 520 design would be getting close to 20 years old. Those 500s are cramped inside, too.

I expect the cops will go for a modern machine and the rescue aspect of it will need to be sorted out early on - if the new police choppers are going to have winches fitted, they'll need to determine whether they'll be one- or two-person winches which will in turn influence what sort of beast they choose. Add to that the TRG boys (and girls) wanting to do that shimmying down the rope thing and, well...

They might even choose one small and one larger chopper rather than two middle-sized ones. Either way I don't they'll decide in a hurry.