Police car, uniformed officer, P Plates

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

BLiNG

Police car, uniformed officer, P Plates

Post by BLiNG »

Just coming through Osborne Park an hour ago, saw a marked VE Commodore - ZT102 - with a young uniformed officer, with P Plates on the police vehicle!

I thought you had to be off probation to join the force? Anyone know the conditions of what an officer on driver probation can/can't do?
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

See Here
Wasn't an officer.

Walks.
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

Walks wrote:See Here
Wasn't an officer.

Walks.
Thanks Walks... interesting reading. He was wearing a uniform, but I take it he's a cadet who is obviously not a sworn member? I take it also that he isn't able to do traffic stops etc?

Sorry: Just read the "not undertake operational police work"
The Oracle

Post by The Oracle »

Ive personally seen a young uniformed JA lad pick up a VE with P plates, from a dealership after a chase check.
I thought it was my eyes failing me. :shock:

Obviously he wasnt allowed to go priority.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

I saw one of the Motor squad XR6T's being driven around Perth with P plates on a couple of months back....I had to look twice.. :shock:
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

I think that is stupid.

one minute the government is saying that p platers should not be driving high performance vehicles yet they are perfectly willing to let these kids drive around?

What a joke.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Yeah but if they are strickly supervised - I doubt the Senior ranking officers would just chuck em' in the driving seat if they weren't confident in them driving in the first place.

If you read the requirements, they actually go through Driver awareness course prior to coming out on the road.

I think its a fair call having these young nippers out and about on non-tasking training.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

The government is confident in every one of the drivers on the streets of perth.

They all pass their test's and they all receive a license from the DPI.

"Confidence" is not a substitute for experience.

IMHO its sending out a message that is completely contradictory to all their suggestions about limiting probationary drivers.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

on the below link it states that you can become an officer if you are three months from getting your full license

http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/applic ... iteria.php
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

its a VE not a ferrari
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Tom wrote:I saw one of the Motor squad XR6T's being driven around Perth with P plates on a couple of months back....I had to look twice.. :shock:
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

GC101 wrote:its a VE not a ferrari
Does this really matter 100k into a tree regardless of what you are driving still sees you dead.

Have seen a cadet driving in rocky as of late. Good luck to them if it helps with the recruitment levels.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

I think that having cadets is not a good idea, alot of the situations that police find themselves in can be diffused with the experience they have gained over their life time.

When handling serious situations its the intuition or "gut feeling" that is going to diffuse it and these cadets are going to be straight out into the police force without the neccessary experience required, personally i think that this is a dangerous combination as when the worst of the worst happens its the police who respond.

There is only so much training can teach you and i hope for their own sake that they learn quickly and that they have their seniors watching out for them, as lets face it, policing is a dangerous job and a huge commitment especially when made at such a young age.

just my two cents worth.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

jmmw, you obviously missed what was on the page Walks pointed to earlier.

"It should be emphasised that Cadets (Traineeship) are not police officers and will not undertake operational police work."

Also a note, Police Policy is the responsibility of the Commissioner, not the State Govt.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Ohhh im sorry, i just thought that cadets would be trained to join the police force, i spose they are just being trained for shits and giggles then?

Whether they are going to be part of the police force now or in 18 months from now they will still not have the required experience to do the job as effectively as a someone senior to them.

State Policing as a whole is run by the State government, who in fact create the laws the police enforce (including the "hoon laws").