Joondalup Police Academy

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Joondalup Police Academy

Post by Rockjet »

One of my kids is keen on joining up in about 3 years, can any of the full timers give some feedback on what to expect at the academy? 8)
imacop

Post by imacop »

Here's some info about the academy itself: LINK

The Police Cadet Traineeship for 17-18 year olds has restarted recently: LINK

Or you could just make a visit to the Police Recruitment Centre: LINK
ryno

Post by ryno »

It will most likely all change within that time!

The Academy consists of the following;

Law (Criminal, traffic, Police powers and many more)
Investigation techniques
Police Procedures
Officer safety training
Physical training
Critical skills (weapons training)
Scenario training
Numerous information sessions on topics such as mental health, multicultural training, domestic violence training etc.

And plenty more! It's hard work but it's great fun and it's what you make it!
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Thats a very postive spin ""And plenty more! It's hard work but it's great fun and it's what you make it!"" same with any job i guess but definatley dont get paid what they should be getting.
PD224

Post by PD224 »

I went there when it first opened, on the open day and had a look around, it is actually quite amazing. They have full simulators example: a chicken treat store where you can train to handle armed robbery's and things like this, they have a full on training course with a great field. it is a very, very well looked after academy.
FG103

Post by FG103 »

What they need are aboriginal actors when you have your 2 weeks at senario training. They would make the experience a bit more realistic.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

:lol:
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

FG103 wrote:What they need are aboriginal actors when you have your 2 weeks at senario training. They would make the experience a bit more realistic.
Filmed a domestic violence scenario training a couple of years ago for the ABC series Police Training Academy. The actors absolutely went for it. Even though they were acting, they scared the hell out of me, and the 2 young probies were shattered (physically and mentally) by the time they got it sorted out.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

FG103 wrote:What they need are aboriginal actors when you have your 2 weeks at senario training. They would make the experience a bit more realistic.
Guess they should have chinese, italian and all other races aswell then or are you trying to say something?
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

My Son and my Wife's Uncle worked at Maylands about 10 years ago as actors (Indigenous). They were told that when they walked into the training area they were to be acting. They even stole one of the police cars and hid it at the Academy (part of the training, keys were left in it) They told me that one young female cop came up and said hello and she was abused to know end and ended up in tears.
Its tough for both sides, but at the end of the day thats what we want on the beat, the best of the best!

8)
yorky

Post by yorky »

I remember at this years open day when they had the mock disturbance the actors were great :lol: was like watching the real thing, even tripping over the portable speaker/mic :smt119

And the mock car accident :S Would be strange being an actor there with 200 people watching you under a car (though I guess they would be used to it).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

roger that...easy for most actors. and like wise for emergency workers, they're used to people watching the excitement so you block it out...I'd so do all that, I'd have heaps of fun! :D hint hint to anyone with influence :P lol
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
FG103

Post by FG103 »

Ludacris wrote:
Guess they should have chinese, italian and all other races aswell then or are you trying to say something?
Luda, they do in fact have asian and an indian actors who all do a great job. Talking from a Gero point of view, the majority of people the Police have dealings with are indigenous. I believe it would better prepare recruits for the real world of policing.

Cheers