new police car

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

luke

new police car

Post by luke »

new police car was shown on ch 10??

WT ***
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

was just about to say the same thing.......
but in english of course. :lol:
Bobby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Bobby »

yorky

Post by yorky »

Great move all round I say, I can't think of anything negative about the move. Cheaper to buy/run, would be more zippy, lesser emissions, very nice :)
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Alot smaller for those with long legs. And for those placed in the back.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

I remember speaking to a copper in Queensland a few years ago who was involved in a Subaru WRX and Volvo trial for highway patrol use. He and most of his colleagues absoloutley hated them and were petitioning for the return of thier regular Falcon/Commodore rides. Whilst very pleased with the performance side of things the coppers hated them because with a full equipment belt on they found them very tight and uncomfortable, and add to that a smaller dash and centre console for mounting radios and other equipment it made for a very confined space. Quick entry and egress to and from the vehicles was a problem also due to smaller door frames and lower ride heights. I cant imagine how cramped a small four would be with the Tadis set up fitted after seeing how that stuff filled up the front of a UQ wagon. Any thoughts from serving members in the group?
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I would like to see them with the highway patrol markings on them would look nice n tidy, im going to guess the astra diesels would be GD use ? dont know how good they would be in pursuits though haha the slimline LED bar looks nice n tight on them.

I know they had hassles in victoria with the wrx as well inrelation to cost of repairs servicing and accidents increaed etc
Jelly-Back

Post by Jelly-Back »

Well the COP said that they can be used for pursuit so im guessing they will be class 1 vehicle's.

Lets see what DTU say's about them...
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Always RX wrote:I cant imagine how cramped a small four would be with the Tadis set up fitted after seeing how that stuff filled up the front of a UQ wagon. Any thoughts from serving members in the group?
Not only that that but some guys are a pretty decent size (well built im talking about) so having 2 burly guys in a small car PLUS the extras radio tardis etc etc would make it "not so squeezy"
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Terrible idea.

Abort enough police chases as it is with these baby cars zooming around (astra) people will take advantage.

Not a fan
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

The way I see it a coppers vehicle is basically thier office for most of the duration of thier shift and my point can be summed by the following analogy. You are at work and the boss comes in and says " I am going to give you a shiny new office only its smaller than the one you have now".....are you happy?
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

WT901 is the CDTi Astra.

Yeah I also think it is a smart move moving to 4cyl cars especially ...WAPOL seem to have an awful lot of 6cyl cars in their fleet.

Although I don't think that WRX's are necessarily a wise move....when being flogged they drink nearly as much as a 6cyl. They'll quickly give police a reputation as hoons...everytime I see a WRX on our streets it's coping a flogging or it's got a 'penis extenstion' exhaust system fitted.

No reason why the brass couldn't drive around in something like Subaru Foresters with are 2.5L 4cyl.

I've test driven one of the diesel Astras and they go hard...bit of turbo lag but when the revs are up they are pretty quick. They also have a sports button which, when activated, stiffens up the suspension and the steering.
but some guys are a pretty decent size
Oh dear....MMW.. :oops:..
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

It will also bring the rear seat pasenger alot closer to the front. Will they be able to fit the screens in the back of these things. I owned one and was good to drive just not the room
Stretch

Post by Stretch »

Markmywords wrote:
Always RX wrote:I cant imagine how cramped a small four would be with the Tadis set up fitted after seeing how that stuff filled up the front of a UQ wagon. Any thoughts from serving members in the group?
Not only that that but some guys are a pretty decent size (well built im talking about) so having 2 burly guys in a small car PLUS the extras radio tardis etc etc would make it "not so squeezy"
That means when reaching for the gears your hand slips and runs down your colleagues leg (she is a top quality brass)

"ooops sorry its just so tight my hand just slipped, though are you sure you dont want to sit on my lap and we will sorten something out????"

LOL - hi guys
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Not a chance with the screens bomber.

Apparently no more screens (secure pods) in the VE's either due to airbag issues...which seems a bit silly as everything before the VY series II never had side SRS airbags.

I can't understand why they can't disable the side airbags.

Gonna cost WAPOL $$$$ buying additional rear cages to replace the pod cars.