Priority 2 Status

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

herbie1204

Priority 2 Status

Post by herbie1204 »

I hear quite frequently when going to a priority 2 job that the driver states the class of vehicle, priority status of the driver and the pd number.

Can anyone tell me why?
BF

Post by BF »

Have absolutely no idea!!!!!!
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Priority 2 means basically lights and sirens, it also gives them the authorisation to go (I *think*) up to 20km/hr over the speed limit providing all road conditions are safe and normal.

Priority 1 which you wouldn't hear as often means they can go even faster again and it's pretty urgent that they get there as quick as they can.

When they give their vehicle and driver class it just lets the radio op (and the radio supervisor) know how experienced the copper driving is and if the vehicle is safe enough to travel at high speeds. It means if you have a fresh constable who's just come out of the academy, it's far less likely that the rad sup will allow him to be involved in a high speed chase, however if there's a copper who's got much more experience and has accredited driving skills then he/she may be allowed to push the boundaries a bit further.

I'm sure others here will have more to add, and possibly even tell me i'm wrong, but that's the way I see it and understand it anyhoo :)

edit: sorry I misread your question, you didn't need to know all that crap about what p2 jobs are, you just wanted to know why they had to give details... oops, oh well, happy reading :)
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

My understanding of it all is to ensure that the person taking the P2 is actually qualified to do so... - I think the PD number thing is fairly new, I've been hearing it for the past few months, where before a car would go P2 - they'd give the driver's PD # and Qualification..... Im sure some of our other members will add more info to this...

I have noticed though, that VKI doesn't ask for a PD number for P2 during the night (not that i heard of anyway) - so not sure why its only during the day????

Good question though herbie
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

what is the process for becoming accredited for P2/P1 driving?
be gentle, I'm new to this!
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

SOP's
just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

COPS manual actually, When given a priority by VKI, The occupants of the Police vehicle given "said priority" will advise VKI of their Class of Vehicle, Class of Driver, and Regimental of the driver.

Although not rigidly enforced by VKI this has come about because a number of Police officers have graduated from the academy without any formal police driving qualification at all and those drivers are not to be issued any priority unless it's an extreme emergency.

This information was obtained from a Traffic Sgt to ensure it's accuracy.
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

just.nosey wrote:COPS manual actually, When given a priority by VKI, The occupants of the Police vehicle given "said priority" will advise VKI of their Class of Vehicle, Class of Driver, and Regimental of the driver.

Although not rigidly enforced by VKI this has come about because a number of Police officers have graduated from the academy without any formal police driving qualification at all and those drivers are not to be issued any priority unless it's an extreme emergency.

This information was obtained from a Traffic Sgt to ensure it's accuracy.
Is there a link to the COPS manual so I can download it, or is it possible someone send it to me?

Cheers
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

Not a public document
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

CHEV4EVR wrote:Not a public document
Sure it is, but you have to go to the library to look at it.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

members of the public reading cops manual???? wayyyyyyyyyyyy to much spare time guys!!!
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

An extract from WA Police website :

The Battye Library at the Library and Information Service of Western Australia has a collection of newspapers with a searchable index, all police annual reports, and a copy of our Commissioner's Orders and Procedures (COPs) Manual. The Battye Library can also help with general police history.

This link may also be helpful:

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/AboutUs/pdf ... ent_02.pdf

and

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/AboutUs/Sup ... onduct.pdf
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

If you bother to read those it also states that it is an edited version, hence as I said not a public document. Plus the annual report and code of conduct are not the COPS manual.

Pays to read all the information before you post links.
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

It pays to read my post before you reply. All I said was these links may be helpful (I don't know what information AV201 is actually after). What is your problem CHEV?

Also pays not to be a tosser.
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

celestial_insight wrote:It pays to read my post before you reply. All I said was these links may be helpful (I don't know what information AV201 is actually after). What is your problem CHEV?

Also pays not to be a tosser.
Just woundering if the COPS manual was available for view or download, just curious. Apparently the library, so cheers for that...

and settle hehe i feel tention! :lol: