Radar Detectors

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

BLiNG

Radar Detectors

Post by BLiNG »

Can any of the serving members on here tell me if radar detectors are illegal, or becoming illegal, and if so, when?

Thanks in advance

:)
gkoutlis

Re: Radar Detectors

Post by gkoutlis »

BLiNG wrote:Can any of the serving members on here tell me if radar detectors are illegal, or becoming illegal, and if so, when?

Thanks in advance

Not a serving member - but they are illegal - Last time I checked - unsure as to why they still bother selling them....

hope that helps
G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
chirpies

Post by chirpies »

as far as i know they're not illegal as long as they're only radar detectors. If its a radar jammer (you can buy them off ebay) i think that comes under the telecommunications act or something like that, and then your in a world of hurt.

bear in mind, those radar detectors really arent that good anyway.
danny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Radar Detectors

Post by danny »

BLiNG wrote:Can any of the serving members on here tell me if radar detectors are illegal, or becoming illegal, and if so, when?

Thanks in advance

They are legal currently. There was talk they are banning them but not sure when.

When put on your windscreen, they can not block any of the drivers vision

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... tc2000113/

Look at Section 263 and 264.
Last edited by danny on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

I have one that hasn't let me down yet - whilst I try my utmost to abide by the speed limit whilst heading south I sometimes find myself over a little.

I am heading south over Christmas - I would like to use my detector but wont if they have been deemed illegal.

Edit: Thanks Danny. Much appreciated mate.
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

I was wondering what happened with this too BLiNG.

It was Michelle Roberts who brought it up earlier in the year, but that was two Police Minister's ago.. :-k

Must be on the backburner for now (yay!)

I've had my radar detector for 4yrs and despite all the negative hype people dish out about them, I truly believe I've become a better driver since having it.
No, I don't purposely speed because of it at all. I'd say it works more as a constant reminder to check the speedo, even when it doesn't beep.

My one also has a 'Highway Maintenance' feature. It picks up if there are road works/maintenance ahead and can tell details of it such as 'road line marking' etc, so I know to slow down and be cautious, thus making me a safer more aware driver. :smt003

I have to say mines fairly accurate but sometimes picks up other false signals. Oh and before anyone gets high and mighty, they definitely don't save you if you're going well over the limit, trust me I know hehe 8-[

It annoys me when people; who've never used them/know nothing about how they work/are not open to hearing the positive aspects too get uppity about radar detectors! :roll:

Ps. I did learn my lesson from the one time I got done. Never again. Oh and I didn't speed because I thought my radar detector would save me, what a fine example of how that just doesn't happen lol!
><((((º>··`·...·`·...·`··><((((º>
chirpies

Post by chirpies »

now come on i guess you have to speed if you get one, just to make the thing pay for itself really...
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

I agree with Chirpies on this. People don't buy radar detectors to obey the speed limit. If you obeyed the speed limit you wouldn't need one.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

impdxn wrote:I agree with Chirpies on this. People don't buy radar detectors to obey the speed limit. If you obeyed the speed limit you wouldn't need one.
That's the same line of reasoning that says "people don't need to encrypt files on their computers. If they've got nothing to hide then they've got nothing to fear."
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

I appreciate what your saying and I can see what your getting at, but its
not exactly correct mate. Your wording is a bit of apples and oranges to my statement.

What is a radar detector made for? It is made to detect a speed radar, and the only reason behind needing to do that would be if you were over the speed limit. There really is no other use for having a radar detector. Its job is to alert you to speed radars.

What is the purpose of encrypting files? It is to prevent someone from being able to read your information. This unlike the radar detector can be for a number of reasons. One could encrypt their personal banking files to prevent someone else from getting access to it. They could also use it for illegitimate purposes such as protecting money laundering books.

If there was another use for having a radar detector than your statement might be a little more accurate. But by virtue of a radar detector really only being used to alert one before they get caught speeding, my statement is accurate. One can ask most anyone what a radar detector is for and they will say to avoid getting caught speeding.

Now granted for most everything there will be that one exception once in a million times. But I'd find it extremely hard to believe that someone who had a radar detector didn't have it so they could speed.
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Have any of the anti-radar detector fans actually seen one in operation or know how they work before forming their opinions?
impdxn wrote: If there was another use for having a radar detector than your statement might be a little more accurate. But by virtue of a radar detector really only being used to alert one before they get caught speeding, my statement is accurate. One can ask most anyone what a radar detector is for and they will say to avoid getting caught speeding.
You must've missed my post.
I've explained another use for them quite clearly.
Not everyone has a motive when they get one to start with, in fact it may have been given to them for all you know and besides people's attitudes can change regardless of their radar detector 'status.'

This thread could go on forever discussing the pros and cons, but it's pointless delivering brazen opinions without some understanding of what is being discussed. That would be ignorant wouldn't it?
:smt015
><((((º>··`·...·`·...·`··><((((º>
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

First I never said I was anti-radar detector so I hope you weren't referring to me. Second I happen to have a very good understanding of how radar detectors work, though I don't really see the relevancy. You don't have to know how they work to know what they do and why people use them.
radiohead wrote:You must've missed my post. I've explained another use for them quite clearly.
No, I didn't miss your post. If you re-read the end portion of my post you will see that I said there is the exception. However I still stand that their purpose is to avoid getting a speeding fine.
radiohead wrote:Not everyone has a motive when they get one to start with, in fact it may have been given to them for all you know and besides people's attitudes can change regardless of their radar detector 'status.'
Regardless if it was purchased or given to them, the purpose of using it again is to avoid getting a speeding fine. When did attitude come into play?

I'll use yourself as an example. You made admissions that you use it to remind you to check your speedo. By checking your speeding and staying within the speed limit you are avoiding getting a speeding fine. So thus are you then not using your radar detector to avoid speeding fines? You also mentioned "even when it doesn't beep". That implies to me that you also check your speed when it does beep and adjust accordingly. That again would be using it to avoid a speeding ticket.

Besides, lets be realistic here. Are you really trying to tell me that the majority of people who have a radar detector are not using it so they can speed and reduce their chances of getting caught?

And do you really need a speed detector to remind you to keep within the speed limit and to make you a better driver? I know personally I am able to maintain the speed limit and drive safely on my own accord.
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

plus if you come up against an experienced mobile radar operator the first you will know of a radar is when the patrol vehicle already has your speed locked on their display.

We used to sit behind cars with detectors and there is about a 2 second delay before it goes off, even current versions. That is more than enough time to press the magical lock button and your $500 purchase goes down the tube.

The maintenance/black spot features are purely an advertising gimmick that try to legitimise the use of detectors and remove some of the guilt purchasers feel. Personally I would rather spend my hard earned dollars on some legitimate technology.
danny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by danny »

CHEV4EVR wrote: I would rather spend my hard earned dollars on some legitimate technology.
Such as Navmans / Tom Toms

Many of you got these devices in your cars? Must admit there pretty good, just wish the price would come down on them a bit!
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!