"J" Job codes

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

"J" Job codes

Post by Turbo »

Over the past couple of days i have heard 2 jobs given out with a J on the end. Eg: 351J or 312J. I assume it stands for Juvenile? Never heard this before - is it new?
Whiskey1Urgent

Post by Whiskey1Urgent »

Yes it does. For stats mainly..
"Our speed is one eight zero, no problems at this stage..." - Whiskey One, Suburbs of Perth - 1996
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Yep, its also in chicky's updated version of the job codes
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I was talking to a chappie earlier in the month who knows a bit about Police communications and he gave me another reason for the J code. I don't have any reason to doubt this guy's word, but then again I don't have any verification that it's true either.

The story as I was told was that when the radio system goes digital, the media might be entitled to information about jobs in semi-realtime, but if a job has a J code on the end, then it'll automatically be suppressed from going out.

You can make up your own mind if that's true or not - like I said, I don't have any concrete information either way. It was literally "told to me by a bloke down the pub" :)

Thanks Turbo for making the thread and jogging my memory on this.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

It does make sense to what you are saying Zebedee. Did he say how this would work? I would assume that they somehow would still be able to listen in on a scanner but with a delay and if the infomation is too sensitve for the media vki say something eg the j that puts a block on that transmission.
just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

Zeb I can confirm your information is correct. No there wont be a scanner it's going to work on a similar system to that operating in Queensland and any job that has "J" attached to the job code wont be released at the time and maybe released to the media by police media at a later time.

It's amazing what one can find out at a bbq.
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

Donga wrote:It does make sense to what you are saying Zebedee. Did he say how this would work? I would assume that they somehow would still be able to listen in on a scanner but with a delay and if the infomation is too sensitve for the media vki say something eg the j that puts a block on that transmission.
Just out of interest, people have had scanners for years, so what could be so sensitive that hasn't bean heard before on a scanner???
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

madmikey wrote:
Donga wrote:It does make sense to what you are saying Zebedee. Did he say how this would work? I would assume that they somehow would still be able to listen in on a scanner but with a delay and if the infomation is too sensitve for the media vki say something eg the j that puts a block on that transmission.
Just out of interest, people have had scanners for years, so what could be so sensitive that hasn't bean heard before on a scanner???
Just about anything that you hear on the scanner could be classed as sensitive infomation. I guess thats one of the reasons WAPOL are switching to digital. Anything on digital can be encrpted to prevent anyone from listening in,
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Zebedee wrote:Thanks Turbo for making the thread and jogging my memory on this.
No worries! :lol:

Thats strange because the 2 jobs I heard that were J were both juvenile jobs of no special interest (that I could tell). 1 was a runaway that had been found again - not exactly breaking news...
yorky

Post by yorky »

Every J job I've heard as well is kids acting up/anti-social behavior.