WA Police Changeover to Digital Radio

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Nice pic GC101.
Yeah but once they go digital encrypted, it'll be interesting to see which of the WAPOL- WARSUG members contribute because then they wont have to check up on us anymore.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

That's an SV6, got the active select button.

My guess is TE205.

Correct of in-correct GC101?

What that piece of equipment next to the handbrake....looks like a remote control on a lead? I don't remember them.
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Robo »

Tom wrote:That's an SV6, got the active select button.

My guess is TE205.

Correct of in-correct GC101?

What that piece of equipment next to the handbrake....looks like a remote control on a lead? I don't remember them.
The remote is for the mobile radar. Nice and handy for the driver or passenger to hold in their lap.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

frankstowing wrote:can any one deny or confirm the rumours that 1st oct mirrabooka midland and joondulup consoles go fully digital
Well I guess that was false - still workin
dave
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dave »

Turbo wrote:
frankstowing wrote:can any one deny or confirm the rumours that 1st oct mirrabooka midland and joondulup consoles go fully digital
Well I guess that was false - still workin
funny that, rumours are going around now that it will be the first of November, I don't think anyone really know, and the few that do have got tight lips, until it happens i don't think I will believe anyone
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

The consoles up at VKI/POC are in the process of being changed-over to digital with all the additional screens but it sill still operate on analogue for now.

It's just in preparation nothing more at this stage.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

GC101 wrote:from what i have heard all along from inside wapol the trial at TEG ROG and MIG starts in november. in a few days quite a few TEG cars are going to maylands for works, i think it might be related to digital radio, so that might be the answer to you questions.....
Had a peek inside a TEG vehicle at the show on Sunday night - forget which one sorry (had Excalibur LED lights and display on roof).. vehicle had LCD etc all fitted out inside.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godinoz

Post by godinoz »

Have heard that they are having problems with the brakets braking that hold the data screens in the car.......
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

godinoz wrote:Have heard that they are having problems with the brakets braking that hold the data screens in the car.......
Not a good problem to have! :smt077
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
marcp

Post by marcp »

Just to add a UK perspective:

When I was in the police in the UK, we had completed the conversion to digital radio systems. We used the Airwave network, provided by o2, whic ran off the mobile phone network, and thus we were able to take advantage of the extended coverage provided by the network infrastructure compared to the coverage offered on the previous analogue system.

At the time of writing, Airwave is still very secure and the encryption has not been broken, so I'd imagine it'd be the same here. If you were able to break the encryption, all you'd hear (if the UK is anything to go by) would be officers cursing the unreliability of the handheld terminals whenever talking to comms!

The rollout will happen sooner or later, as it's 'the way forward'. I just hope WAPol haven't contracted with a company who didn't think to improve the signal strength or coverage when in buildings (that's when the signal is at its worst) and that they use decent handsets which don't 'drop out' halfway through a transmision!
bm_35_wa

How are towies going to attend T/A when it goes silent

Post by bm_35_wa »

As most other towies would know, the majority of T/A we attend we hear over the scanners. So when it goes silent I think there is going to be a big problem getting tow trucks to crashes. Surely they can't plan to VKI every crash and it will cause big traffic problems if you have to wait half an hour at a crash on the freeway in peak hour for trucks to arrive.

Does anyone know what they might plan to do or heard anything about this problem??? Has anyone even thought about it yet......
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: How are towies going to attend T/A when it goes silent

Post by vk6hgr »

bm_35_wa wrote: Does anyone know what they might plan to do or heard anything about this problem??? Has anyone even thought about it yet......
There was an idea flashed briefly about giving towies access to the system for that reason, but it didn't get anywhere.

I suppose towies will have to receive jobs the old fashioned way - phone ins by spotters and calls from police - after they change over :cry:
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr