police pursuits

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

police aborting pursuits

Poll ended at Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:03 pm

police should never engage in pursuits
17%
police should only abort pursuits when chasing car drives into opposing traffice or when speed exeds 120kmph
83%

Total votes: 6

earmuff man

Post by earmuff man »

about two weeks ago, if someone asked me, chase or not to chase? i would defently said chase.

but after some events that have happened around me, it just highlights how important life is. I believe that if a police chase if going to put any innocent party at risk, it should be terminated.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

By the Police not chasing offenders it sends a message to these dregs that they can get away with it. I say chase the crooks, obviously if it safe to do so. Most Police Officers have common sence and would not be chasing cars through shopping centre carparks.

I say it is WRONG for the Police pursue offenders, for example if somebody was wanted for a warrent for Agg Burg or after a Armed Rob then the Police should make every effort to pursue the offenders, if chasing them in pursuits is the case then so be it.

Policing is dangerous, it always will be and with that sometimes comes putting members of the community in danger, but nowwhere near as much danger as having criminals free to commit offences without fear of being pursued by Police Officers.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
scottwa2468

police pursuits

Post by scottwa2468 »

thats exactly right,fastlane did not seem to understand what i was saying.he seemed to unfairly think that i thought it was a game which is rubbish!!.i believe that there are pursuits that need to be aborted due to very,very dangerious driving or a high amount of traffic,the one thing i do not want to see happen that police officers are forced to abort pursuits where there is no need,at the end of the day i believe that the police officers chassing the car should be the ones to choose weather to abort the pursuit,it is one thing to hear detailed radio communication from a police supervisor but its the officers involved in the pusuit who are the best to decide this,i believe that police officers should be trusted with descression after all they are armed and we trust them to use their weapons.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

cars are more deadly than guns - statistics will tell you that.

also an officer can decide when to fire their gun. they cant decide whether someone pulls out in front of them or gets in the way during a pursuit.
scottwa2468

police pursuits

Post by scottwa2468 »

well well,i know your colours fastlane,again you missed what i was saying yet again,try reading from left to right!! :)
earmuff man

Post by earmuff man »

Fastlane wrote:cars are more deadly than guns - statistics will tell you that.

also an officer can decide when to fire their gun. they cant decide whether someone pulls out in front of them or gets in the way during a pursuit.
dont worry, im with you mate. lol
scottwa2468

police pursuits

Post by scottwa2468 »

fastlane,policeofficer slow down when they approch intersections and there are 2 officers in the car to watch for other cars,i see with your lack of reply that you have nothing to say because you know that you are wrong!!! :D
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

no, because I realise arguing with you is pointless - I know my experience and knowledge as far as 'urgent driving' is concerned is far more than yours (as do a few board members!).. so thats all that matters. ciao! (cheers btw, earmuff man!)
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

As Stated above there are two officers in the car, Surly between the two of them they can make a decision wheather or not this chase is worth it and if it puts anyone in greater danger... Police discretion is what it comes down to at the end of the day... VKI and the SGT can only make the decision By what the officers call in during a pursuit... The Police are trained in pursuing crooks...I'm all for pursuits to lock up them D***Heads and make are community a better place,

AT THE END OF THE DAY THE POLICE ARE THERE TO PROTECT AND SERVE...

This is my opinion and i am not trying to force it apon anyone...
earmuff man

Post by earmuff man »

yer but.... meh.

btw,
what is a priority pursuit driver? from what i heard it is a police offer which has extra training or something for pursuits. can anyone elaberate (sorry about spelling)
scottwa2468

police pursuits

Post by scottwa2468 »

priority pursuit drivers are trained pursuit drivers you will sometimes here drivers mention when they book on duty that there either are of arnt pursuit drivers and weather or not they are in a pursuit enabled vechle,you may hear in police changes that when a non pursuit vechle is the lead police vechle that once a pursuit enabled vechle will then take the lead,i have heard in a pursuit once that the lead police vechle requests prioruty 2 so my undersdtanding is they ask for permission to go through reds lights and they can drive at faster speed,hope this helps!
scottwa2468

police pursuits

Post by scottwa2468 »

i was thinking a bit about this subject today,isnt the current procedure a bit more dangerious when it comes to pursuits?,what I am saying is the radio operator asks for a sit rep,ie. current traffic conditions,speed,weather they are approching or going through red lights,intersection,their direction and location,i can see your point regarding police aborting pursuits when it gets dangerious,butt what i am saying that if the two officers in the lead pursuit vechle are getting distracted from doing all of the above,as well as watching for other traffic and driving their car at high speed woulnt be safer if they have to keep the radio operator up to date every 5 seconds,the wa government should start to invest some real money into the wa police force,they can put gprs into every police car like they now have with transperth buses.so that they can see where all vechles are located to assist in pursuits and other general duties.also they can put a divice similar to the one that can moniter vechle speed for perants who wants to know if their son is not driving to fast.this would mean that officers would only have to tell the radio operator traffic conditions and the end of the pursuit,i know that this will take a few million dollars to do but hey! its the 21st century
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Walks.
Last edited by Walks on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Interesting topic this one.

Take an example such as the one of the motorcycle which sped off from Police on Wanneroo rd in Balga and crash on Gnangara road and wasn't found until the next morning sadly he was deceased.

He broke the law so Police engaged in pursuit, now if he would of pulled over when asked to do so the result wouldn't of been so tragic.

I hate hearing about how innocent people get injured or killed in pursuits, they are the victims in these incidents.

Pursuits are interesting to listen to on the scanner and over the years i've heard a few good high-speed ones but it's very rare a chase ends without injury or damage to a vehicle WAPS of baddies cars.

Motorcycles chases are a real 'grey area' in my opinion. Their is no way on earth a standard VY/VZ V6 Commodore can keep up or even get close to some of the high powered bikes on our streets.

At the end of the day it all comes back to your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't, but remember if Police didn't chase the streets would be a far less safe place to be and stolen cars would be more common on our streets and the roads would be like playing Russian roulette after-hours.

The current procedures are sufficent in my opinion.

cheers

Tom
scottwa2468

police pursuits

Post by scottwa2468 »

very true tom,my understanding with the regards to that pursuit,the police had aborted that chase before he crashed and died,i took admit listning to pursuits especially (mind you very rarely) they catch the offending driver. I have never thought,dispite some peoples beliefes that puruits are not dangerious,toms last post hit the nail on the head,we cant let offending drivers get away with crime,there are two things someone who isnt commiting a crime and one that is,you cant draw the line with crime ,police are paid to stop ALL crime.it will crate a scary prisident if police do not engage in pursuits.