Police car, uniformed officer, P Plates

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

you need a mix of young blood and experience im sure the cadets will bring the young blood and will be keen as mustard!
FS101

Post by FS101 »

As said above many of WAPOL's current serving members were once cadets way back when.. I beleive the current Commisioner was one.

Cadets aren't there catching crooks etc, and it is probably the best way to get a realistic job preview before they take the step and do the full training, plus as they are in the learning environment longer they should be able to get a good grasp.. Its not different to doing a pre- apprenticeship course before becoming an apprentice.

If I wanted to join today I get to look at a video and talk to a few people spend 6 months at the Academy before I get to see what actually happens...
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

and you can join at 19 now there is no difference at all....
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

I think its fairly certain that your average 19 year old who happens to be immature or irresponsible wouldn't be trying to join the force. I was speaking to someone who must've been a cadet the other day at Curtin House when reporting a crime, and I wouldn't have picked him to be much over 18 but came across as a very mature individual.

I guess at some stage there is a panel that weeds out the dickheads from joining at a young age.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Crap!!!!!

People aged 17-19 are too young and aren't 'street smart' in my opinion..They haven't had enough life experience.

I know when I was 21 I was young, foolish and stupid.....7 years later i'm 1000 times more mature.

IMO...the minimum age of entry should be 21 at the very least.

Feel free to disagree.............

And another thing it's a bit silly having somebody who is on their P's and may not have the experience of a 6cyl driving around in high-powered WAPOL vehicles. It certainly doesn't portray a good public image.

What happens when someone has a serious accident in one of these new WRX's or XR6T's.....everybody will be back to driving poverty packs...When the SV6's came out only qualified drivers could drive them, now every 2nd car in the country is a HWP XR6T or SV6..No it seems anyone can drive them.

Will history repeat itself?? Just about every section had a VT II 5.7 Gen III's
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Tom wrote:Crap!!!!!

People aged 17-19 are too young and aren't 'street smart' in my opinion..They haven't had enough life experience.

I know when I was 21 I was young, foolish and stupid.....7 years later i'm 1000 times more mature.

IMO...the minimum age of entry should be 21 at the very least.

Feel free to disagree.............

And another thing it's a bit silly having somebody who is on their P's and may not have the experience of a 6cyl driving around in high-powered WAPOL vehicles. It certainly doesn't portray a good public image.

What happens when someone has a serious accident in one of these new WRX's or XR6T's.....everybody will be back to driving poverty packs...When the SV6's came out only qualified drivers could drive them, now every 2nd car in the country is a HWP XR6T or SV6..No it seems anyone can drive them.

Will history repeat itself?? Just about every section had a VT II 5.7 Gen III's

:smt055

Like seriously, you're the smartest person i have spoken to all day. (& chicky)
Last edited by jmmw on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

I have to agree with jmmw and Tom... Life experience has a lot to answer for. In my job (most of you would know by now that I am a nurse), there is a type of knowledge defecit between myself and the younger recruits I work with, and it all comes down to interaction with people.

I have seen younger nurses crack under pressure of volatile situations when we need them on hand. From a more mature point, I just deal with the problem, and debrief later (usually over a bottle of bourbon :lol: )

Having been in front line situations, I'd much rather someone have my back than have someone break down when I really need them. If an incident can be diffused simply by initial approach/discussion, then a better outcome for all.

Oh and Jas, yes, he is self confident. He's very level headed, and we have discussed this issue numerous times. I myself tried to be a nurse in my younger days, and yes, couldn't handle it when faced with it up front. So, I grew up (well I think I did lol) and gave it another shot. The rest as they say is history :)
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

This is exactly the point i have been trying to make, i'm not attacking young people im just saying that a job as dangerous and committed as being a police officer is more suitable to those who have the experience to deal with situations that to most people would be exetremely hectic and stressful.
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

I see we follow an old fashioned belief on this board. Blanket discrimination against age purely because the majority of young people are idiots is a little foolish.

Everyone is made different, so the association of life experience is rediculous. There would be plenty of people out there who would be more mature, street smart, and have enough life experience to handle such a role.

What defines street smarts? What defines life experience?
FS101

Post by FS101 »

like I said before, the cadets aren't out catching crooks and I highly doubt that they would be getting into pursuits or driving any high powered cars outside of the legal limits... I am sure the public would love to make a complaint about an officer doing the wrong thing especially if they have a P plate on the window..

I followed a P plate Van from Warwick to Maylands on thursday and not once did they break the speed limit, fail to indicate etc..This is not the only example of good behaviour of a P plate in a police car I have seen.

As with anything there are protocol for these guys, their simply not cruising around doing what they like and tasking...but I suppose I forget that we all think know what WAPOL policy is.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Hey guys

while i understand what you are saying you really are focusing on the first 10% of this conversation, please before posting read the entire convversation!

Let's not make it personal, its fine to have a different point of view and argue but when we start getting stupid accusations and name calling it kinda takes away from the seriousness.

I trust no one takes these personally as it is all in good fun.
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

jmmw wrote:Hey guys

while i understand what you are saying you really are focusing on the first 10% of this conversation, please before posting read the entire convversation!

Let's not make it personal, its fine to have a different point of view and argue but when we start getting stupid accusations and name calling it kinda takes away from the seriousness.

Definately not personal mate... nothing but a discussion :)
BF

Post by BF »

I was a cadet, I joined when I was 17 and a half and went into the academy at 19. And I have to say it was the best thing I ever did.
18 months of watching and taking everything in prepared me better for life as a police officer than 6 months bullshit at the academy.
I don't think 19 is too young to join, I think it's all about the person you are employing. I know 40 year old coppers who came through the system when anybody could join and they are not worth paying.

Secondly, cadets are not allowed to drive police vehicles under priority conditions, so I can't see the problem. If the govt were serious they would ban P platers from performance vehicles. Unfortunately they're not.

JMMW you say you are 18 and you don't agree with them driving the vehicles. Go back and have a read of your post from the XR6T thread, very contradictory.
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

BLiNG wrote:
jmmw wrote:Hey guys

Definately not personal mate... nothing but a discussion :)
Discussion is good... I rarely take things personal. The motto 'like water off a duck's back' comes to mind :)

Its interesting to see people's different points of view about this topic. Helps me to keep an open mind.
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

BF wrote:JMMW you say you are 18 and you don't agree with them driving the vehicles. Go back and have a read of your post from the XR6T thread, very contradictory.
How so?

If anything it supports my arguement, at no point did i say i was responsible enough to be given a high power car?