police pursuits

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

police aborting pursuits

Poll ended at Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:03 pm

police should never engage in pursuits
17%
police should only abort pursuits when chasing car drives into opposing traffice or when speed exeds 120kmph
83%

Total votes: 6

Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Come to think of it ALL Urgent duty driving has elements of risk involved.

I know from experience that Police are highly trained drivers, but then again you have to think that WA has some really piss-poor drivers on the roads who honestly haven't got a clue and more then likely don't even know what an emergency vehicle is.

Next time you on the roads just watch some of the other motorists around you, I ALWAYS see people changing lanes without indicating, changing lanes well within 30 metre of an intersection the list goes on and on...

So next time were listening to a pursuit take into account the other 'idiots' on WA roads who haven't got a clue, that just makes the jobs of the boys and girls in blue that little bit MORE dangerous.

Does anybody remember the old MVCU (Motor vehicle crime unit) they used to go out and try and target stolen cars, they used to use W1 and W2 as their call-signs and they always were in pursuits on southside ch8. They had VS V6 Commdores when they were going and they used to flog the crap out of them. Heaps more pursuits than 79div boys. The rules were different in the early 90's and I heard a few chases get up to the 200km/h mark.

I remember when I was in the job going through the Academy the head of the old MVCU came and talked to us about some of the tales and stories from his time, scary stuff from what I can remember.

I'm pretty sure Cannington district still have a dedicated vehicle crime car, i've seen the car adn know what it is, but does anyone know it's call-sign?

Tom
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

:

Walks.
Last edited by Walks on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Walks,

I'd also not bother buying anything TK wagons at auction either, although they have the same driver they get priorities from one end of Perth to another. I saw one last week getting it's throat ripped out on Morley dve/Wanneroo rd! I personally wouldn't by anything ex WAPS or an ex Rental, you might notice that their are a shit-load of VY II Commodores for sale at the moment but they're all ex Eastern states Rentals( AVIS) totally flogged.

Does anyone know which Delta cars are marked? I very rarely see any of them, however I did pass one on Charles St on Thursday night and the only way I could tell it was a Delta car was from the light-bar on the roof, to dark and wet. I remember the very first VT Commodore I saw was a marked D7(?) way back in late 1997.

Do the CA cars ever get into any action? I've only EVER seen CA501 once and that was on Leach Hwy.

cheers

Tom
scottwa2468

police pursuits

Post by scottwa2468 »

i saw something on the news a few days ago re this,i think that at the moment there is no deticaded division for this but the government are thinking of starting this unit up again
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Walks.
Last edited by Walks on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Is CD502 marked as well?

It used to be even numbers D2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 were for North of the river and D1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11? used be be South of the river. I haven't heard to many Delta cars lately so I don't knwo what the current go is with them.

I like the Delta cars as they're have those suberb looking American light-bars ont eh top, similar to some of the TK cars had.

I know CA501 and CA503 are marked.

rgds

Tom
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Walks wrote:Also something to consider would be mandatory sentencing for pursuits. Instead of being charged under the Road Traffic Act for failing to stop, why not have a sort of aggravated charge of failing to stop and engage in pursuit - 6/12 months in the slot. no questions asked.
I certainly think that there needs to be some distinction between a simple "failing to stop" and "running away and being chased by half of Perth's police", especially with all the dangers of a pursuit as mentioned earlier.

I don't think the answer is to stop chases, because I think it sends the wrong signals. I'd prefer the police to chase where it's not completely unsafe (you can never have a totally safe pursuit).

But as Walks says, when the baddies are caught, make an example out of 'em. Send the message that if you try and run you WILL be caught and when you are, you're not going to get any sympathy from the courts...

Just my 2c worth :-)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.