Police and Australia Day

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Do you think lollies are the anwser

Poll ended at Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:39 pm

yes
35%
no
53%
other (say below)
12%

Total votes: 17

Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Corporate sponsorship is great for the community, but I believe that it shouldn't be used to as a tool to quell anti-social behavior. That is why the government gives the police laws to enforce.

The rescue helicopter, SES, Neighborhood Watch, Constable Care, and Crime stoppers have nothing to do with dealing with law breakers. They are all aimed at your general everyday people offering advice, providing a service or intelligence gathering.

These lollies are aimed at crap heads that play-up and I don't see why they need to be offered bribes to behave. It's a first for the police when dealing with criminals....I think the corporate world has crept into a police force that is supposed to act independent without prejudice. Now the police owe Coles or Allens a favour....doesn't that leave an opening for corruption. It's a far cry, but well worth a thought
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Smiffy wrote:The rescue helicopter, SES, Neighborhood Watch, Constable Care, and Crime stoppers have nothing to do with dealing with law breakers. They are all aimed at your general everyday people offering advice, providing a service or intelligence gathering.
Huh? How can Crimestoppers be nothing to do with dealing with lawbreakers? As it stands the justice system deals with law breakers, police catch and provide briefs for their prosecution. Without Crimestoppers police don't get as much info to catch the crims.
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Are the people who call into crime stoppers law breakers?...I think not. They are members of the public offering information to help catch criminals.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Smiffy wrote: These lollies are aimed at crap heads that play-up and I don't see why they need to be offered bribes to behave. It's a first for the police when dealing with criminals....I think the corporate world has crept into a police force that is supposed to act independent without prejudice. Now the police owe Coles or Allens a favour....doesn't that leave an opening for corruption. It's a far cry, but well worth a thought
You think the Police are naive enough to believe a few minties will stop a 'craphead' from playing up? Thats certainly not the point of the exercise - I thought that was pretty obvious?

As for making a link to corruption.. thats more than a little thin..
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

I reckon most of the wrappers will end up messing up the place, give the people more stuff to pick up the next day.
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Well, what is the point of the minties???? Apart from bringing down the authoritarian stature expected by members of the public for protection.

It's a strategy they can do without. [/quote]
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I agree with Fastlane.....yes its true.

I dont beleive that the Police are hoping that minties are going to solve thier problem of anti-social behaviour.

I think it is more an issue of encouraging the general public to talk to the police, thus increasing the feeling of safety and the Police image of being "customer focused".

When people have dealings with Police in a more relaxed, social atomosphere when they are sober....even if joking about a minty, this may send a message that they are around and you can talk to them when you are not doing anything wrong.

How often do you see people, general and crapheads, having a general chinwag about odds and sods rather than that person over there did this and this.

Its early intervention and hopefully will save one of two people from going to far.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Lol some people take this way too seriously. I can't believe some of the responses to this! :lol:
Cops are humans too and believe it or not it does work in their favour to do things like this occasionally to encourage good relations with the public. A lot of people are fearful of approaching Police because of the 'tough, hard-line' reputation they generally are given.
Some people over-analyse things way too much, lighten up, there is much more to focus on in life than trivial issues like this... :roll:
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

radiohead wrote:Lol some people take this way too seriously. I can't believe some of the responses to this! :lol:
Cops are humans too and believe it or not it does work in their favour to do things like this occasionally to encourage good relations with the public. A lot of people are fearful of approaching Police because of the 'tough, hard-line' reputation they generally are given.
Some people over-analyse things way too much, lighten up, there is much more to focus on in life than trivial issues like this... :roll:
How can you call it trivial..............
Last edited by Ludacris on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

I'm not calling the way police deal with matters trivial.
I'm voicing my opinion on the way I see some of the 'serious' comments people have made here, and how can I you ask..... Well simply because I can. Remember, this is a public forum Ludacris.
:mrgreen:
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

I went to the skyshow last night and i was on the south perth side with the majority of young people.

I dont think the police did a very good job, whilst there wasn't as much public drinking as last year there was just alot of stupid decisions the police made like trying to be threating to the majority of people when they were being well behaved.

The mounted police just walking through the crowd was the worse one i saw. In my opinion that could of hurt so many people. With people maggot and lying on the floor these cops have no chance of seeing people there. There was no warning to move in several cases you would just feel the horse brush up against you as it walked past. If one had step on somones foot it would of been smashed all over the shop.

I didn't see the cops giving out minties.
I did shake the commisoners hand and was like onya mate haha
i did have to call an ambulance and the police for a man that had been stabbed in the chest. The ambulance took about 8 mins to get there and i waved 3 police cars down and the guy still got away even though when they pulled up he was on the ground bleeding and his mates managed to get him up and on his feet within 30secs and the cops were intersted in following him.

In general i think the mounted police are a waste of money, they dont do anything cept crusie about like sitting ducks waiting for a bottle to the head.

Thats my 2 cents no doubt there will be backlash
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

I agree too!! - I too saw the incident with the mounted section going through the crowd while people were sitting down...And yes you are right - I saw no police officers giving out any Minties between the time of 3pm and 7:15 to which i was down there riding my bike...

Was the guy stabbed in the chest, or is this the guy that was stabbed by a bottle in the forehead...????

But i still recon Polair61 and 62 did a great if not a top job last night trying to keep an eye on the crowds after the show...
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

I was working down on the south Perth foreshore yesterday with the YMCA. We were giving out free water, food, hats and sunscreen to any one who looked as though they were a bit under the weather from drinking too much alcohol and those who were badly sunburnt. This stratagy could be used by the police for next year. It allows the general public to view the police in a less threatening manner. And helps the police identify sooner where there maybe trouble. I think those who are likely to cause trouble may think twice b4 they do anything wrong if they were offered water and other stuff by the police.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

pinkbosseslady wrote:I went to the skyshow last night and i was on the south perth side with the majority of young people.

I dont think the police did a very good job, whilst there wasn't as much public drinking as last year there was just alot of stupid decisions the police made like trying to be threating to the majority of people when they were being well behaved.

The mounted police just walking through the crowd was the worse one i saw. In my opinion that could of hurt so many people. With people maggot and lying on the floor these cops have no chance of seeing people there. There was no warning to move in several cases you would just feel the horse brush up against you as it walked past. If one had step on somones foot it would of been smashed all over the shop.

I didn't see the cops giving out minties.
I did shake the commisoners hand and was like onya mate haha
i did have to call an ambulance and the police for a man that had been stabbed in the chest. The ambulance took about 8 mins to get there and i waved 3 police cars down and the guy still got away even though when they pulled up he was on the ground bleeding and his mates managed to get him up and on his feet within 30secs and the cops were intersted in following him.

In general i think the mounted police are a waste of money, they dont do anything cept crusie about like sitting ducks waiting for a bottle to the head.

Thats my 2 cents no doubt there will be backlash
those upset about not getting a mintie............ go spend $2 and buy some........................
Last edited by Ludacris on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Ludacris wrote:and to those upset about not getting a mintie............ go spend $2 and buy some........................
or spend 40c and ring the complaint line... 1194

:P