Police Rail Unit

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

housemate wrote:can transit officers act while off duty same as coppers and do they do plain cloths work like the coppers would be interesting to know
When they are on PTA property that is correct.

As goes with Police acting off duty, it is a very dangerous practice as you do not have any equipment or backup.
cat1

Post by cat1 »

[quote="dazla"]Transit Officers have powers on ALL PTA and associated property. This includes railway stations, bus stations, bus stops, ferry terminals and anything attached to or associated with PTA property.[/quote]
hmm what if they where driving down the local highway in a patrol car or at the local red rooster picking up some dinner in uniform? If they breached proctocol off a pta site or australian law for that matter what sort of legsliation or action would they be subject to?

p.s I am not bagging tranist guards I am debating the ethics of upholding a coporate image and holding a position of power
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I don't get what you are asking, if the Transit Officers broke the law while on duty or off duty they would be subject to the same laws as anyone else.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I think cat1 (maybe) asking what if they arrest someone while not on PTA property if they witness someone breaking the law etc are they going outside there boundarys ? <btw im just taking a stab at what she maybe asking didnt make sense to me either>
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

BLiNG wrote:
Tyranus wrote:sorry but what's the difference between a constable, a special constable and a train guard...other than the title! (for all the mr. CPT. Obviouses amongst us :) )
Not a lot.

Special constables can only be appointed by the Commissioner of Police, have a Police regimental, can arrest any person for committing any offence, power of arrest on suspicion, and power to stop and search people and vehicles.

I am led to believe that these powers only apply to when a Special Constable is actually on duty, as mentioned above, but I may be wrong - whereas sworn Police officers have these powers regardless of the time of day. As they say, a Police Officer is never really off duty.

A transit guard has full powers of arrest on PTA property, as mentioned above, when they witness an offence. I don't think they have the power to arrest on suspicion, they can stop and search on PTA property, can charge an offender for offences like providing false name and can verify people's identity, which I am led to believe they can do with a link they have with VKI (or something very similar). I am not entirely sure what the process is these days but initially, it was only supervisors within the Transit Guard unit who were able to access VKI (or something similar) for identity checks. It may still be like that but I am not 100%

Edit: I believe the above to be correct. If anyone wants to correct me then please do. There are bound to be Transit Guards and Police Officer's here who can verify this information or correct me.
i hear them running peoples names up on the links channels , i think they just have access to the database , not so much a link to VKI because its pritty much instant
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

Markmywords wrote:I think cat1 (maybe) asking what if they arrest someone while not on PTA property if they witness someone breaking the law etc are they going outside there boundarys ? <btw im just taking a stab at what she maybe asking didnt make sense to me either>
wel if ur guard but only on PTA ground and u see sumone out side that ground. i guess u can make public arrest. until police get there.
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Transit Officers have their powers on PTA property, if an offense occurs off PTA property it will not be of interest to the Transits and will be up to the WA Police to deal with.

Transit Officers enforce laws on the trains.......how is that hard to understand...not red rooster or the local quickie mart.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

dazla wrote:Transit Officers have their powers on PTA property, if an offense occurs off PTA property it will not be of interest to the Transits and will be up to the WA Police to deal with.

Transit Officers enforce laws on the trains.......how is that hard to understand...not red rooster or the local quickie mart.

:lol:
hello
Banned

Post by hello »

hi
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

welcome
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!
cat21

Post by cat21 »

wow...I have a doppleganger!!!

Thought I'd posted in my sleep or something!!
\
Hehe then I had a closer look...*sigh* no originality LOL