Western australia Police Digital switch over

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

Walks That's my understanding yes the Perth Metro Area gets changed 1st I didn't know they were doing the country area as well
scando

Post by scando »

Hi everyone, I am a newby here and looking at getting a scanner primarily to listen to police. If they are moving to digital encrypted frequency does that mean i will not be able to listen to them after Feb 07?
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

Correct no more listening to police. Read one of the other posts in the WAPOL or general section, its been dicussed
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Millsy wrote:Does that mean i will still be able to listen to mandurah :D
Mandurah hasn't been country for years ;-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
BF

Post by BF »

G'day everyone.

I've been visiting this site for quite a while, and WALKS & CHEV I finally decided to register.

As for the Digital communications system for WAPOL. I went to a meeting a couple of weeks ago with the hierachy about the whole system including the digital radio's, mobile data terminals, and AVL's or trackers for want of a better word.

In November MIG, ROG and TEG will trial the full system, however without encryption. If the trial is successful the Metro Police Radio Network will convert to the full system in March 2007 at this stage.

Unfortunately for scanner enthusiasts the system will be encrypted and you will not be able to scan or receive any metro frequencies. The metro area will include Mandurah, all the way to Lake Clifton, even though they are still a country location under the Peel district.

All other country areas will run unencrypted normal communications. The cost of erecting new repeaters and so on was too great. Not sure what will happen if they have to travel to Perth, but they will have something sorted.

Hope this helps :)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

BF wrote: Not sure what will happen if they have to travel to Perth, but they will have something sorted.
Hi BF. Welcome aboard :-)

From what I've heard, a few standard analogue repeaters are to be left operational in the metro area for that problem (not a problem for Perth vehicles heading into the country since they can run standard analogue - a brilliant design decision IMHO)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
stevesperformance

Post by stevesperformance »

:D looks like good news for us country listeners.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

vk6hgr wrote:
BF wrote: Not sure what will happen if they have to travel to Perth, but they will have something sorted.
Hi BF. Welcome aboard :-)

From what I've heard, a few standard analogue repeaters are to be left operational in the metro area for that problem (not a problem for Perth vehicles heading into the country since they can run standard analogue - a brilliant design decision IMHO)
Can confirm a select few Analogue Repeaters will be left operational for Country Vehicles coming into the City. They will book on with VKI as per normal using their existing radios.

So all is not lost as long as you don't mind listening to a little bit of traffic from Country Vehicles when they come into Perth!

Cheers, CC
just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

Has anybody considered this:

All the cars vans et'c get fitted with the same radio switch to analogue while they are in the country and switch back to digital when they are in the Perth Metro area?
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

just.nosey wrote:Has anybody considered this:

All the cars vans et'c get fitted with the same radio switch to analogue while they are in the country and switch back to digital when they are in the Perth Metro area?
They probably will. However there's no point putting a digital radio (around $4k or so from what I've heard) in a vehicle that will always be in an analogue country area... might as well keep the Tait or Motorola radio in there that they have now.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

The one off cost for a digital radio will work out cheaper than the on going cost of a channel or channels which will get very little use. In the long run when one considers maintainence, and Licence fees et'c over say 4 or 5 years I think the digital radio for all vehicles is a better option.
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

The new digi radios in the cars have backwards technology. They not only work on the new network but the will also work on the analogue one too. So only one radio needed.

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

GC101 wrote:heaps of cars have the new radios fitten now, and some places have base sets, they take abit of time to learn how to use
about 30 secs if you read the card 8)

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

but we all know that a real man would rather spend the hour working it out for himself rather then be weak and use the instructions :P