Joondalup Police Academy

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Bonez

Joondalup Police Academy

Post by Bonez »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know of something really cool that I heard yesterday while parked in my car at the Joondalup shopping centre (near the train station).

I was scanning through and heard on 468.325 what appears to be a local simplex training channel for the academy.

They were doing full practice excercises. The base operator was WT100, and he was very strong, sounds to me like he was on a base radio of some sort. (he was also pretending that he was VKI)

The trainee cops were using portables (could hear them moving around) and had callsigns such as WT809 & WT106, didn't get any others, but there was about 3-4 "vehicles" involved ;)

I know that they have like a pretend chicken treat store at the academy and a service station (i think) and they do training amongst all this stuff.

It was quite fun to listen to, as WT100 was just making jobs up as he went along. Handing out various jobs to them such as

"Someone is refusing to leave the chicken treat store"
"Mrs blah just called up and her son is trying to kill himself, i'm not sure what you guys want to do but i'll leave it in your hands" (WT100 said that to the cops out on 'patrol' and let them decide what they want to do with it themselves).

Has anyone else ever heard this? You'd need to be in Joondalup as the portables don't have much range.

Btw it was about 5:15pm yesterday.

Cheers
Bonez
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Joondalup Police Academy

Post by Robo »

Bonez wrote:Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know of something really cool that I heard yesterday while parked in my car at the Joondalup shopping centre (near the train station).

I was scanning through and heard on 468.325 what appears to be a local simplex training channel for the academy.

They were doing full practice excercises. The base operator was WT100, and he was very strong, sounds to me like he was on a base radio of some sort. (he was also pretending that he was VKI)

The trainee cops were using portables (could hear them moving around) and had callsigns such as WT809 & WT106, didn't get any others, but there was about 3-4 "vehicles" involved ;)

I know that they have like a pretend chicken treat store at the academy and a service station (i think) and they do training amongst all this stuff.

It was quite fun to listen to, as WT100 was just making jobs up as he went along. Handing out various jobs to them such as

"Someone is refusing to leave the chicken treat store"
"Mrs blah just called up and her son is trying to kill himself, i'm not sure what you guys want to do but i'll leave it in your hands" (WT100 said that to the cops out on 'patrol' and let them decide what they want to do with it themselves).

Has anyone else ever heard this? You'd need to be in Joondalup as the portables don't have much range.

Btw it was about 5:15pm yesterday.

Cheers
Bonez
It would be one of the older squads doing there two weeks of scenario training.

When we were doing it there were 2 paddy wagons and 1 sedan that used to patrol around the tafe, uni and the residential area across from the main entrance to the academy. There call signs are all the academy call signs WT.

The training is awesome, they take real jobs that once occured and turn them into a training exercise.

In scenario villiage there is a Chicken treat, Shell servo, Police credit union bank, a two storey house and a flat above the chicken treat.

Recruits spend two weeks of patrols around the area and are only allowed in senario villiage when they have been tasked to a job.

About 12 or so actors are employed to play the civilians. It is weird cause you go from one job where a certain actor is playing a witness then the next job they are the offender. That is hard to get your head around at times but other that that they make it very realistic.

During the two weeks the radio comms is non stop with interesting jobs so have a listen if you are near by. Apart from WT100 that plays VKI up in the watch tower everyones portables are switched to Local On being simplex.

Robo
hitman

Post by hitman »

So it's a fake Chicken Treat? You can't actually buy stuff during lunchtime?

:(
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Thanks for the info Robo, all makes sense now. I spend a fair bit of time up that way so i'll be sure to have another listen :)

lol @ hitman

Cheers
Bonez
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

Would WT104 then be a training vehicle they had them tonight at the Moon and Sixpence Woodvale I had a work funtion at the chinese restuarant near there and as I left I noticed a few officers at the tavern and then noticed WT104 was going to ask who they are but it mght have been answered in this topic.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Donga, what was WT104??

I've seen WT paddy wagons at the Carine Tavern before on a Friday night.

I once took my car to the Shell servo at the Academy to get some juice and the dudes there just looked at me strangely... 8)

Tom
just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

Of late near the end of the course they have been putting a recruit with a cop for a night on the road and to cope with the need for extra vehicles they have been using the academy (WT) cars and vans to make up the numbers.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

WT104 is a Holden commodore sedan from memory I had a few drinks at the time and did not get a close look.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

funny u say that i saw WT 207 in bayswater the other day
yorky

Post by yorky »

Last night and tonight there are a lot of people on operation 'Recruit', I'm guessing this is part of it? There is a WT vehicle doing vehicle stops atm around Warwick.

EDIT: WT106
ryno

Post by ryno »