Tasers

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Tasers

Post by Tom »

G'day Gang,

In the last couple of weeks I've heard a huge increase in the amount of requests for tasers.

Used to be that only MIG/ROG/TRG used to carry them but now there seems to be a lot more of them about.

AZ202 (the Mirrabooka night-shift traffic car) has advised VKI when they booked on this week they have one.

I've also heard a few requests one this morning for someone to bring one out from Midland base...

Are these now carried by all GD's cars? What's the deal??

cheers

Tom
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinetic
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kinetic »

I think it is definately a good thing. Remember with 3 copers assaulted eac day they need all the non-lethal protection they can get.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

im presuming the officers will be tasered before they can taser anyone, jus like with pepper spray, got to be peppered sprayed b4 u can use it- well thats what the security guards at Royal Perth Hospital had to do.
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

Not anymore they dont...the police have removed that provision, so im led to believe.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Rumor has it that Transit Guards will be looking at Tazers in the near future.

They will all have pepper spray my mid September and they will then possibly begin a trial on Tazers. :)

Time will tell.........
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Robo »

Hey guys, just to let you know that most of Perth GD's are taser trained now. The ones that are not trained will hopefully be soon. Also the course does not allow you to be tasered, Some OH&S crap.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

GC101 wrote:i guess OC will only be able to be used on platforms though, with the trains airconditioning?
I would think so. The confined space would be bad enough...
"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always got"
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Yea same rules as Police riding on trains, dont use it in the train, most arrests that turn violent are after you have de-trained with the offender anyway.

However, like Police, Transit Guards will carry it trains.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Chicky
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Chicky »

I thought you all would be interested in an article that appeared in today's The West Australian in Inside Cover titled aptly 'Sgt Pepper's academy band eyes out recruits'...
'It wouldn't be a police academy unless the drill sergeants gave the new recruits a good spray from time to time. But there were some red faces and very sore eyes recently when a WA Police Academy instructor, who we've dubbed Sgt Pepper, put half a dozen new recruits in hospital with a spray they'll never forget.

The coppers were getting a taste of what life can be like on the front line when a standard training exercise turned nasty, or should that be sour?

Capsicum or pepper spray, now seen in every copper's utility belt, was squirted on to the foreheads of a group of recruits so they could experience for themselves the debilitating effects. By golly, it worked.

Six of the 30 recruits were taken to nearby Joondalup Hospital with severe eye, nose and throat irritation and one still cannot drive because of the damage done to her retina.

If that's not bad enough, the six sufferers were all coppers freshly recruited from Britain to experience life Down Under and bolster our police numbers.

"It really upset some of the people," WA Police Union chief Mike Dean said.

Some in the union are arguing for an end to the training exercise and for the time being Sgt Pepper and his band of academy colleagues have been asked to cease spraying newcomers.

"This has been done for a long time in consultation with Worksafe," Police Commissioner Karl "Onions" O'Callaghan said. "It's done because often police who are using the spray can experience a secondary exposure. The idea is to put a small spray on the forehead and it runs down into the eyes."

While a review of the training method is under way, a particularly potent batch of the pepper spray is being blamed for the extremely adverse reaction and has been recalled.

A batch of pepper spray that's too potent? Better check those batons don't leave bruises.'
I await your opinions :P
West Coast Eagles
AFL Premiers 1992, 1994 & 2006 and....... ;)
R/Up 1991 & 2005
Since 1987 and still going strong :)
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Robo »

Chicky wrote:I thought you all would be interested in an article that appeared in today's The West Australian in Inside Cover titled aptly 'Sgt Pepper's academy band eyes out recruits'...
'It wouldn't be a police academy unless the drill sergeants gave the new recruits a good spray from time to time. But there were some red faces and very sore eyes recently when a WA Police Academy instructor, who we've dubbed Sgt Pepper, put half a dozen new recruits in hospital with a spray they'll never forget.

The coppers were getting a taste of what life can be like on the front line when a standard training exercise turned nasty, or should that be sour?

Capsicum or pepper spray, now seen in every copper's utility belt, was squirted on to the foreheads of a group of recruits so they could experience for themselves the debilitating effects. By golly, it worked.

Six of the 30 recruits were taken to nearby Joondalup Hospital with severe eye, nose and throat irritation and one still cannot drive because of the damage done to her retina.

If that's not bad enough, the six sufferers were all coppers freshly recruited from Britain to experience life Down Under and bolster our police numbers.

"It really upset some of the people," WA Police Union chief Mike Dean said.

Some in the union are arguing for an end to the training exercise and for the time being Sgt Pepper and his band of academy colleagues have been asked to cease spraying newcomers.

"This has been done for a long time in consultation with Worksafe," Police Commissioner Karl "Onions" O'Callaghan said. "It's done because often police who are using the spray can experience a secondary exposure. The idea is to put a small spray on the forehead and it runs down into the eyes."

While a review of the training method is under way, a particularly potent batch of the pepper spray is being blamed for the extremely adverse reaction and has been recalled.

A batch of pepper spray that's too potent? Better check those batons don't leave bruises.'
I await your opinions :P
In our squad only one recruit opted not to get sprayed for her own reasons. We gave her some slack but fair enough. Once I experienced the spay myself I realised how good it really is. It does make you panic a bit at first but then you can control it(not the pain though).
If they send recruits out in the field who have not been sprayed then there are going to be problems. I am just thankful I experienced it in a closed enviroment, dealing with that for the first time in the street while you are fighting a shitbag would basically turn to shit. They cant know how to control it or fight through it, some of them would just roll into a ball and cry.
Also that bad batch of pepper spray has left a few coppas with no spray at all, they are armed with tasers instead. From what I have been told taser is far worse than OC spray. If you are a crook then give it a few weeks before you play up so they can re-stock their spray.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Robo wrote:If you are a crook then give it a few weeks before you play up so they can re-stock their spray.
check
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

ive been sprayed when i was doing my security guards course quite an interesting experiance