Booze Bus Operation on Wanneroo Road

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Booze Bus Operation on Wanneroo Road

Post by Donga »

Travelling towards the city on Wanneroo Road tonight we came across a Booze bus (I normally would not mention anything about Booze Bus locations) The traffic on Wanneroo Road was ruuning extremly slow as a result of the Booze bus and where we needed to trun we could not as WAPOL bloked off al side exits onto Wanner Road and evry car coming onto Wanneoo Road could not turn left they all had to pass the Booze Bus. When we got close to where the Bozze Bus was located I noticed one of the TE cars had what looked like a rader just before you pulled in to be tested. I dont think it would have been a rader as no car had the chance to speed as we were travelling so slow. We were able to drive straight through as we had one of our clients in the van who was in a wheel chair as we passed the Booze bus I looked to the left and in the Shopping Centre carpark there would have been roughly about50 or more police officers (it looked like a lot) and the media were also present. I guess why I brough it up was to find out if any members have any idea what the thing that looked like the rader could have been? Why the media were invoved? Why so many police officers? I think its a excellent strategy that WAPOL are using to block off side streets forcing everyone to travel straight pass the Booze bus.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Sounds like they had the ARGUS out.

The ARGUS Is interfaced to some of the police systems it reads your licence plate and uses the NUmber to reference against the data in these systems.

It can tell you anything from if the vehicle is licenced, stolen, has a work order and can even tell you if the owner has outstanding warrants etc.

The downside of the unit is it is very slow. Hence the slow in traffic flow.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

Thanks for that info Fozzy that would expalin the media aswell. It could be the next Channel 7 exclusive or something similar.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Yeah it was ARGUS - not a channel 7 exlusive though :lol: (not anymore) They had their crew for the TV show there. Someone just did a runner from the booze bus!
yorky

Post by yorky »

I was driving home in the other direction and boy was it banked up :( Car park was completely chokers with cops at every spot. I passed a traffic car (AG20x) on the other side behind a tree in a dark spot, I'm guessing either watching for speeders going my way or for runners, as the median strip is small enough for cars to turn around on...
madmikey

Post by madmikey »

The downside of the unit is it is very slow. Hence the slow in traffic flow.
I'm sorry, but the ARGUS system in fast, seen it out quite a few times mounted to the roof of cars and just sitting on the side of the road monitoring trafic, the reason for the slow traffic is quite simple... "BOOZE BUS" ... just think about that one for a second... if you need it explained, reply to the post and I shall explain...
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Mad Mikey.

The system is not fast at all. Its fast for what it does. But it is still a slow process. Its all well and good for you to say you have seen it in action. But unless you have actually had something to do with the unit I dont think you are really in a position to comment.

I understand it gets used on the side of the road. And I know the booze bus would have had an effect on the speed of things as well but the Argus is not some super computer that pumps data out in seconds.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

yorky wrote:I was driving home in the other direction and boy was it banked up :( Car park was completely chokers with cops at every spot. I passed a traffic car (AG20x) on the other side behind a tree in a dark spot, I'm guessing either watching for speeders going my way or for runners, as the median strip is small enough for cars to turn around on...
When we drived by they had someone pulled over in the other direction doing a breath test.
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

ARGUS

Post by Robo »

Hey all,

I am new to WARSUG. Just for your info I have worked with ARGUS and it is very quick. It scan the cars rego and does a search all in about two or three seconds. The reason why the traffic would be so slow is because of the booze bus. You could pass ARGUS doing 100k's and it would still most likely read it.

Hope that helps understand it a little better. I know a little bit more about it but do not want to comment because I have only viewed it in operation about three or four times.

Robo
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

I have personally seen and filmed it many times - I think it was quite slow to begin with (which is not unusual for a new process) but it seems to be a lot quicker now.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: ARGUS

Post by Ludacris »

Robo wrote:Hey all,

I am new to WARSUG. Just for your info I have worked with ARGUS and it is very quick. It scan the cars rego and does a search all in about two or three seconds. The reason why the traffic would be so slow is because of the booze bus. You could pass ARGUS doing 100k's and it would still most likely read it.

Hope that helps understand it a little better. I know a little bit more about it but do not want to comment because I have only viewed it in operation about three or four times.

Robo
Not best used in 100km/h traffic...... thats why it is usually used in conjunction with the booze bus..........
Robo
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: ARGUS

Post by Robo »

Robo[/quote]

Not best used in 100km/h traffic...... thats why it is usually used in conjunction with the booze bus..........[/quote]

I agree, just saying that it is very fast in reading the number plates. It is a great system and there should be more of them.
A night on the bus with ARGUS is a whole lot busier than a normal booze bus operation. It keeps us incredibly busy!!!
just.nosey

Post by just.nosey »

I saw one just before 1am this morning on (think it's called) the Pindan Bridge (continuation of the Polly Pipe) that goes over the Swan headed away from the city. They had that many cars pulled off to the side of the road there was only 2 coppers left to do the prelims.

There were 2 chase cars one was TE209 couldn't see the number of the other one due to the bridge railing being in the way.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

just.nosey if i was a betting man I say the 'Windan Bridge' but I might be wrong.

TE207 (.05 VZ Comm) and TE209-211 SV6's are allocated to the Booze Bus section. TE210 has that wicked light-bar on the roof, which I'll post some pics of when I know how.

TE208 and TE215 are the Buses themselves.
rgds

Tom