APLO's

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

APLO's

Post by Tom »

Hi Gents and Radiohead :lol: ,

After seeing HM616 in the City today it got me wondering.

Can Aboriginal Police Liasion Officers (APLO's), give out infringements for traffic offences and arrest non-Aboriginal offenders??

I was under the impression that their powers only extended to Aboriginals.

I'm interested to know the difference, I know they don't carry firearms.

cheers

Tom
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

For those of you who don't know me which is probably most of you I am a volunteer youth worker with a certain agency. The agency starts with a Y and the Village people sang a song about our agency. On some of our shifts as we work with youth we ocassionaly get some of the APLO officers attending our services they attend our shifts in order to build a rapport with the young people so the young people learn to trust the police. Any way a few weeks ago I was speaking to an APLO officer and asked him about his powers. They can arrest and apprehend a suspect if instructed by a police officer. If they wittness an offence I think they have to call trough to get police officer to attend. The APLO officer that I spoke to wittnessed a car doing burnouts near Mirrabooka Bus Station once and the car pulled into Tyre Power (for those of you who may not be familar to Mirrabooka at all its next to the Bus Station literelly) he sighted the car and radieo through to vki they had a normal officer attend and arrested the suspect and detained his car under the anti hoon laws. I hope this helps clear up a bit. The APLO officer at the time was in normal clothes which for the APLO officer is not uncommon when they attend our services although most of the time they are in uniform.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Some Aplo's have the power to do it as they have now been made up to constables.

This was part of the iniative of getting more officers on the front line.

I am not sure if they are classed as special constables, PC's or Constables first class. However it would appear that quite a few are being made up.

Scott
herrgott

Post by herrgott »

From Donga's post, and what I know of the Criminal Code, that APLOs [though being faded out] have no more real powers than a standard civilian. Anybody can lawfully assist a police officer in arresting an offender, and anybody can give the police reference to locations of crimes being committed [albeit with no direct link to VKI].
I'm glad we have APLOs. But their [necessary] role seems [and has been in the past] very much based on LIASING.
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

--
Last edited by pinkbosseslady on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

Damo,

any idea what ZM616 is?

I occasionally hear it, but am still yet to see it..

Tom
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

zm616 is aplo vehicle for mirrabooka
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

hahaha ya, he means what type of vehicle,

i would be guessing just the same as HM616 & NC616
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

There are a few APLO's attached to the Police Rail Unit, also the Transit Guards have their own Aboriginal Liaison Officers out and about.

You will see them wearing a normal Transit Guard Uniform with the Aboriginal Flag on their shoulder flash.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
TheDoc
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by TheDoc »

im pretty sure zm616 is a comm sedan but i know they use the the gd cars as well i deal with them a few times at work
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

I'm guessing it's the same as HM616 and NC616, but I'm still to see it.

cheers

Tom
hitman

Post by hitman »

herrgott wrote:From Donga's post, and what I know of the Criminal Code, that APLOs [though being faded out] have no more real powers than a standard civilian. Anybody can lawfully assist a police officer in arresting an offender, and anybody can give the police reference to locations of crimes being committed [albeit with no direct link to VKI].
I'm glad we have APLOs. But their [necessary] role seems [and has been in the past] very much based on LIASING.
APLO's have powers of arrest, extending primarily to aboriginal people. This is explained within a media release on the WAPOL media release site. I've seen Ash (the APLO from the Mirrabooka Crime Prevention office) pepper spray an offender at the Mirrabooka Shopping Centre as well, so I can only assume that they are permitted to use spray.

I don't have Adobe reader installed on my laptop, but there is a media release on the WAPOL website confirming that they have similar powers to that of a constable. Look for the PDF relating to the first group of APLO's graduating as fully sworn officers (sorry about lack of linkage, when I get Adobe installed I will provide link!)
GC101
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by GC101 »

Last edited by GC101 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.