Bunbury police - live internet feed is online!

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Bunbury police - live internet feed is online!

Post by Blinky »

Sinbin wrote: also i heard car AR696 tonight, any one know what this vehicle is?
I have seen AR696 driving around. A station wagon with the usual decals and lights etc, driven usually by an officer in overalls. Also heard it mentioned in reference to K9 but never seen a dog yet.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Local is the same as talkaround, Instead of transmitting on the repeater input frequency they bypass the repeater and operate simplex on the repeater output frequency ie Normally for ch14 the radios would transmit on 458.675 and recieve on 468.175 but on local they will transmit and recieve on 468.175.

AR696 is the Southwest Region K9 unit. It has a multipurpose dog and handler.
Sinbin

Post by Sinbin »

Nick wrote:Local is the same as talkaround, Instead of transmitting on the repeater input frequency they bypass the repeater and operate simplex on the repeater output frequency ie Normally for ch14 the radios would transmit on 458.675 and recieve on 468.175 but on local they will transmit and recieve on 468.175.

AR696 is the Southwest Region K9 unit. It has a multipurpose dog and handler.
cool thanks for that i just never heard or saw them before. :D
Bunbury VFRS
CP11 & LT300
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Feed was down for about 20 minutes at 7pm, it's now back up. I was trying to relocate the scanner to get a better signal but I had no luck. The lead I have from the audio jack on the scanner to the PC is only about 1 metre long. I'll buy a longer one as soon as I can so that the scanner can be moved away further from the computer.

Also btw there is a high speed chase happening right now :)
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

I've just tried the stream in Winamp, using Firefox, and can confirm it's coming in beautifully on this quiet night.
Sinbin

Post by Sinbin »

im listening to it now and its coming in excellent
Bunbury VFRS
CP11 & LT300
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

I've had another, much better idea. I have an old laptop (4 to 5 years old) which is gathering dust. It has built in WIFI so it can go pretty much anywhere in my house.
I am currently downloading a linux install ISO and I will be setting up a stream with Icecast or something very similar to what most decent online radio stations (including Gavin's FESA feed) are using.

This will mean that:

1) I can locate the laptop and scanner in a much better position in the house; hence much less noise on the signal
2) The feed will open OK in any browser and media player no matter which platform you are using (Winblows, Mac or Linux etc).

I'll be setting up the initial Operating system tonight and configuring the stream etc, and sometime tomorrow I will post back here again when I am ready to do the cut over. I will also edit the original post so that any newcomers get the correct link to the stream.

Hope that improves the signal and makes it a bit easier to operate for everyone :)

Cheers
Bonez
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Just for your info everyone, I am about 200mb away from being shaped to 64/64, with the plan rolling over on Tuesday 1/6/09.
This month I was only on a 10gb plan, as soon as it rolls over I will be going up to 25gb, so it should not happen again.

If I do get shaped, it may effect the live feed, but hopefully I can preserve the 200 odd megs I have left until midnight tonight :)

Cheers
Bonez
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Hi All,

I know the current feed is very poor, but I am in the process of getting hold of antennas, coax, connectors and configuring a dedicated Linux PC to run the stream. Please bare with me, because within the next week or so you will be able to listen to not only the Bunbury police, but the SES, FESA, other SW police districts and anything else worthy of listening to.

I can even throw in the Bunbury local traffic air frequency if there is any interest. Please post back and let me know what you'd like to hear and I'll do my best to make it available.

Cheers
Bonez
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

Bonez wrote:Just for your info everyone, I am about 200mb away from being shaped to 64/64, with the plan rolling over on Tuesday 1/6/09.
This month I was only on a 10gb plan, as soon as it rolls over I will be going up to 25gb, so it should not happen again
Out of interest, what programs are you using and at what bitrates are you streaming?

For general radio you shouldn't need anything higher than 11khz-16kb/sec. I do a fair bit of streaming from my home connection for private listeners, and those settings work quite well. The software I use is;

Shoutcast DNAS (http://www.shoutcast.com/download)
Winamp (http://www.winamp.com)

A quick guide for both Windows and Unix can be found here;

http://www.shoutcast.com/download#12
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Clontarf[X] wrote: Shoutcast DNAS (http://www.shoutcast.com/download)
The FESA stream uses Shoutcast. It works quite well.

The hardest part was getting a good radio and antenna to get the stream sounding as good as possible.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

vk6hgr wrote:
Clontarf[X] wrote: Shoutcast DNAS (http://www.shoutcast.com/download)
The hardest part was getting a good radio and antenna to get the stream sounding as good as possible.
That is the same problem I am running into. No good selection of arials and probably the worst location (7m above sea level surrounded by dunes and hills). Tonight seems to be working OK though, which is strange given the thunder activity.
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

If you wish for me to setup restream let me know via private message, it means you only need one of our servers (conserving bandwidth) to connect to you and allows you to open it up to have more users

Rob
Cows moo over the rainbow
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for the offer. I will contact you shortly once I have an antenna sorted out. I am in the process of setting up an external scanner antenna (mounted on a ~2m high off-the-gutter mount TV antenna, which will allow me to receive SES, FESA, some other South West police districts as well as marine, air etc. Once that is all in place, and I have configured the computer to stream correctly (ie, rid myself of nasty Windows Media Encoder and use something decent like Icecast or Shoutcast) I'll be in contact with you.

Cheers!
Bonez
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Clontarf[X] wrote:
Bonez wrote:Just for your info everyone, I am about 200mb away from being shaped to 64/64, with the plan rolling over on Tuesday 1/6/09.
This month I was only on a 10gb plan, as soon as it rolls over I will be going up to 25gb, so it should not happen again
Out of interest, what programs are you using and at what bitrates are you streaming?
Hi Clontarf[X],

I'm currently using Windows Media Encoder 9 on a Vista PC with the bitrate set to 19kbps combined (in theory it is 16kbps). As I have said already in this thread I am looking at getting an antenna set up as well as a dedicated linux PC with Icecast or Shoutcast, and if Ausrob is generous enough to re-stream it, taking a huge burden off my home internet connection, I may be able to up the bitrate to 24kbps which I think is the same as vk6hgr's FESA stream.

Cheers
Bonez