Parmelia death of suspect during arrest

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

curious

Parmelia death of suspect during arrest

Post by curious »

I'm generally a silent observer/reader but I came across JG-103's April post and [color=red]curiousity[/color] has gotten the best of me. Was anyone listening in on the night and hear the to and fro about the Parmelia arrest/death?

JG-103 wrote:
Its strange coz the only death i heard recently was in Parmelia in Kwinana, a man trying to break and enter into a house (with a grandma and daughter inside) on Tunnicliffe Rd, VK103 and an AV car got him, he resisted arrest and injured an officers knee, had to be pepper sprayed, was put in the paddy wagon, then a couple minutes after they noticed he had stopped breathing, they undid the handcuffs and gave him cpr and tried to revive him, the ambulance came and took him to rockingham hospital but was pronounced DOA.
This was in my local paper and was on the radio, never heard anything bout a car crash and a death whilst in custody.
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

mmmmmmmmm????
CARL Woods had two teeth knocked out and sustained "multiple blunt trauma" to his face before he died in police custody.

An independent pathologist, brought from Melbourne by the Aboriginal Legal Service, examined the body on Monday following an official autopsy.
The distraught family of Mr Woods, 35, also paid for Sydney-based forensic expert Carl Hughes to fly to Perth to begin inquiries. Mr Hughes, a former navy doctor, was present during Monday's examination.

Family members claim the initial findings confirmed Mr Woods was seriously injured just before his death on April 11. A piece of bone, the socket, had also come away with the two teeth.

Mr Woods, a father of three, had smashed his way into a Parmelia home on April 11.

Officers responded to an emergency call from a grandmother, who was terrified when Mr Woods smashed through her front door.

Mr Woods was manic, claiming that he was being pursued by people who were trying to kill him.

Police arrived at the house soon after and grappled with Mr Woods, who resisted arrest. Six officers handcuffed him and put him in the back of a police van. It is understood one officer reported soon after that Mr Woods had stopped breathing.

Two people, who say they were listening to a police radio scanner on the night of the incident, have provided sworn statements to the ALS. They claim they heard an officer call for an ambulance and remark that a sergeant was required because colleagues had been "heavy-handed".

Family spokesman Mervyn Eades said detectives investigating Mr Woods' death had already dismissed that claim.

"The family is very concerned about the independence of the investigation into Carl's death," he said. "We are uncomfortable that this is police investigating police. Cops won't rat on cops.

"One of the detectives has expressed his personal view that police did not use excessive force on Carl. We want Carl's death investigated by an independent agency. We also want the officers stood down pending the outcome of the investigation."

Mr Woods' father, Humphrey, went to the Corruption and Crime Commission on Friday to urge the agency to get involved.

Mr Eades took photos of Mr Woods' heavily bruised face in the morgue the day after he died. He accused police of bashing him "Rodney King-style".

On Friday, ALS chief executive Dennis Eggington said: "We are supporting and assisting the family as much as we can . . . as a part of that we have committed ourselves to get an independent report done by a very respected forensic pathologist, Byron Collins, from Melbourne, and we'll also be engaging a fairly senior barrister to assist with the inquest."

A police spokesman said he could not comment on the progress of the police investigation into Mr Woods' death because it was ongoing. "Clearly, it was a violent situation that faced our officers," he said.
Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

Two people, who say they were listening to a police radio scanner on the night of the incident, have provided sworn statements to the ALS. They claim they heard an officer call for an ambulance and remark that a sergeant was required because colleagues had been "heavy-handed".

Family spokesman Mervyn Eades said detectives investigating Mr Woods' death had already dismissed that claim.
mmmm Wonder who that was, guessed they got it wrong....
curious

Parmelia

Post by curious »

mmmm(s). Can you post where quoted article is from, date, and author/reporter? Tx.
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

news.com.au
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

A person forcibly resists police, he is not stable and a worse case scenario happens for the police. The only person being heavy handed was the criminal, who breaks into a house and terrorises an old lady, what would people have said if he did her in? The ALS are just stirring for trouble, always do at this time of year so they get more money at budget time.
hitman

Post by hitman »

I know Dennis personally... he lives a few streets up.

He has an obligation to the job I suppose.

Personally, he is a great bloke and I would always offer him a beer at a barbecue. Professionally, I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

[quote]Two people, who say they were listening to a police radio scanner on the night of the incident, have provided sworn statements to the ALS. They claim they heard an officer call for an ambulance and remark that a sergeant was required because colleagues had been "heavy-handed".
[quote]

Now you all know why WAPOL wants encrypted radio...

I have hazy memories of listening to that night...i dont recall anyone saying those words at all....there is no way i would swear to that though... i believe its called the Carmen Lawrence defence.
Perhaps the organisation in question routinely records police comms?..
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

All VKI conversations are taped and the same goes for phone calls.

There is a big sign on the door that says this place is exempt from the telecommunications act as it is classed as an emergency center. Or something to that effect.

I can tell you now the DVD recording room that all the calls/radio are taped to is impressive
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

I heard differently,.

The guy was a big dude (90kg), put up a fight/ran so the police had to take him down. He hit his head on the pavement when they tried to stop him. Unfortunate accident.