Digital Has Finally Happened

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

frankstowing

Digital Has Finally Happened

Post by frankstowing »

ok guys time is 1300 th 26-04-06 all mirrabooka cars have gone to ch 9 468.050 and guess what its true digital and they have moved a whole district ch to 9 fuck knows whats going on
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: Digital Has Finally Happened

Post by Fastlane »

frankstowing wrote:ok guys time is 1300 th 26-04-06 all mirrabooka cars have gone to ch 9 468.050 and guess what its true digital and they have moved a whole district ch to 9 fuck knows whats going on
Channel 9 is normal FM audio - not digital. They probably had a repeater die somewhere and fired up 9 as a stop-gap.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: Digital Has Finally Happened

Post by Fastlane »

Fastlane wrote:
frankstowing wrote:ok guys time is 1300 th 26-04-06 all mirrabooka cars have gone to ch 9 468.050 and guess what its true digital and they have moved a whole district ch to 9 fuck knows whats going on
Channel 9 is normal FM audio - not digital. They probably had a repeater die somewhere and fired up 9 as a stop-gap.
Change to that - they're doing some testing on channel 21.
frankstowing

Post by frankstowing »

yeah thanks fastlane i heard them all go over and only heard vki i thought the worst has happenned hehehehe
orac68

Post by orac68 »

I would say it will be like when they went from VHF-LO to UHF {Crap I can remember that far back :shock: }. There will be a period where both systems will be running till all the cars are moved over. Fun times ahead.

Keith 8)
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

Remembering that the Police rely on ppl listening to scanners and such to help them out, ppl such as media towies....would they honestly encrypt it?

Like i remeber one time when someone suggested gagging all imformation about a incedent i was helping out at, and a top ranking officer shouted a "hell no!!!!! that would be one of the worst things we could ever do". They tried it once on a alledged rape i think it was and the media snobbed them off for like 6 months. the Police found it very difficult to do anything without thier help.

The Police rely on the media as a ultimate resource, if they need imformation, a public appeal, something that they need the media for. To remove such a vital part of thier coexistance would no doubt cause unecessary strain on a already fragile relationship, Granted the media outlets will just go buy a digital scanner but if its encryted and all police radios fall silent one can only presume caos...well thats what i thnk.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Antt wrote: The Police rely on the media as a ultimate resource, if they need imformation, a public appeal, something that they need the media for. To remove such a vital part of thier coexistance would no doubt cause unecessary strain on a already fragile relationship, Granted the media outlets will just go buy a digital scanner but if its encryted and all police radios fall silent one can only presume caos...well thats what i thnk.
Perhaps so... but many other states have already gone down the digital route.

It means the media have to get all their info filtered through police. If they don't tell the media something happened, and the media don't get any reports from eye witnesses, then it stays out of the news...

That said, I'm quite happy if preventing nasty people access to police comms receive prevents them from planning nasty things!
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Police media will still pump out the stories to the media for follow up. All it will stop is ppl turning up at the scene and possibly getting in the way. No doubt a few police 'media snouts' may appear ;)

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

WHAT'S PPL?
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

doogues71 wrote:WHAT'S PPL?
short for 'People'
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

there will be ways around the encryption though? surely?
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Jmmw wrote:there will be ways around the encryption though? surely?
Not likely. Why would the government pay tens of millions of dollars on an encrypted digital radio system for the WA police if someone could listen into it with a few thousand dollars' worth of equipment?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

aww thats sad
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

Not likely. Why would the government pay tens of millions of dollars on an encrypted digital radio system for the WA police if someone could listen into it with a few thousand dollars' worth of equipment?
Think about Microsoft and all the millions of dollars poured into developing software that nowadays is freely available to anyone at no cost due to P2P clients and ever-increasing internet connection speeds.

I think the fact that the media won't be able to hear information over a scanner could be just the motive for them to want to infiltrate the system perhaps..

Only time will tell I suppose, this might be what makes me explore other things to listen to on the scanner like aviation and marine perhaps.. oh the excitement.. :?
hitman

Post by hitman »

Slightly unrelated, but think "Foxtel digital"

Sometimes thing are the way they seem.