mobile phones taken off drivers

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

mobile phones taken off drivers

Post by doogues71 »

Police what to take mobile phones off drivers who talk on them while driving.What do you think about this.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

I think it's a great idea. They have tried MANY times to explain to drivers not to use their mobiles when in the car. It hasn't worked. so i think this is a great idea. Just like the Anti - hoon law, do a burn out. Lose ur car. talk on ur fone, lose ur fone.
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

I thought they were suppose to be creating less paperwork for Police.

Walks
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

...and would you need to inform the duty inspector as well?? :lol:
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Would be a minefield, seeing phones in alot of cases dont even belong to the people using them (contracts etc)..

Increasing the fine would do more damage to anyone thats caught and presumably wouldnt make any more paperwork..
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I agree, throw a bigger fine a more DM points at them and they will start to take notice.

Kinda like these people that winge about Multicnovas being revenue raisers, if you dont speed then you dont have to wory about them!!!
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

dazla wrote: Kinda like these people that winge about Multicnovas being revenue raisers, if you dont speed then you dont have to wory about them!!!
Have to disagree with that.

If anything, Multanovas have taken away driver concentration from driving and put it solely on adhering to the posted speed limit within a fairly narrow margin of error. The mobile phone laws were put in place so people aren't distracted by them while driving, I think multanovas are just as distracting - but they make the government far more money!
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
brad_88

Post by brad_88 »

there are so many people who drive that have been suspended or dont even have a license.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

vk6hgr wrote: I think multanovas are just as distracting - but they make the government far more money!
I think the only thing that is making the govt money is the people who still continue to speed.....

you don't sped , you don't get caught....... its as easy as that.....

Why give away your hard earned dollars..
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Ludacris wrote: you don't sped , you don't get caught....... its as easy as that.....
Well... not really that simple. There's a difference between speed (as in the speed limit), speeding and excessive speed.

By all means, excessive speed should be punished but defining "speeding" as 5-9Km/Hr over the posted speed limit borders on the rediculous.

Despite what all the fancy ads say, speed does NOT kill. STOPPING really quickly is what kills! :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

I'm also a believer in that speeding fines are a "voluntary tax"

If you want to speed, then by all means, pay your hard earned dollars to the government.

In most cases, they set speed limits for a reason. Usually it's due to the nature and structure of the road, the surrounds and various other properties.

If for example the speed limit is 70km/ph and you choose to do 77km/ph, then it's quite clear that you are speeding and breaking the law.

However if you were sitting dead on 70 then you would have no problems with the law, and you would save your dollars.

Think about this... speeding drivers subsidise our lives. If everyone was all of a sudden to stop speeding, where else would the government generate the revenue they are so used to having now? I'd rather the people who wish to break the law pay my share of it, that's for sure.

I'm not perfect, nobody is perfect. I've been driving for 5 years and i've had 1 fifty dollar multinova fine with no demerits. After the first, I learnt quite quickly that it's just not worth it.

People zoom past me on a daily basis and I sit back and thank them, because they are paying the government stacks of money that they aren't taking off me.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject, and thats mine. Sure, there are people out there who don't see the subject in the same way as I do, and you are most entitled not to.

Cheers
Bonez
brad_88

Post by brad_88 »

one thing that shits me off, is the law i think it is, if your caught doing more than 45 ks over, well confiscate your car. i reckon its pretty much saying if you do less than 45 ks over you wont get it taken off you
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

Multinovas - A damn good idea, they wouldn't make dollar one without speeding drivers, more speeders caught more money. If their presence on the side of a road makes speeders slow down or saves one life then that's justified enough for me.

Drive on just about any major road today at the speed limit and you will have a car pass you or sit up your ass cause your not going as fast as they want you to. I'm not perfect, i've been caught too but i didn't winge or get pissed off, it was a fair cop and i was speeding.

It's a pity the bulk of the income earned off the cameras doesn't go straight into funding for more police or traffic patrols, better roads and road safety issues.

My two cents worth.... 8)
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

westernwedgey wrote: Drive on just about any major road today at the speed limit and you will have a car pass you or sit up your ass cause your not going as fast as they want you to. I'm not perfect, i've been caught too but i didn't winge or get pissed off, it was a fair cop and i was speeding.
I agree. Although with that in mind, there are some roads where the speed limit is unreasonably low. (I'm thinking about the new Hepburn Ave. extension here...).

People who speed excessively should deserve to be caught and fined. I'm willing to bet though that the majority of multinova fines are piddly $50 and $100 for minor infractions no cop would bother pulling you over for.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

When the cameras first came out, I was haunted by them and I had a fair few photos taken :)

However I've learned to behave myself on the roads, and have had a clean licence and not a whiff of a fine for about 6 or 7 years now.

So to the people getting flashed by Multanovas ... thank you - you're keeping my tax bill lower :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.