Digital encryption

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

APCO 25 Encrypted

Post by APCO 25 Encrypted »

LOL, sorry. Edited the post.

Regards
woobla

Post by woobla »

ahh I see

so how do they change encryption do they replace the coding wheel? like on the enigma machines? or will every radio have a different coding wheel that the officer has to move to match up?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

woobla wrote:ahh I see

so how do they change encryption do they replace the coding wheel? like on the enigma machines? or will every radio have a different coding wheel that the officer has to move to match up?
Don't know, will have to go visit danny or walks on mass :P
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
d0t-bat

Post by d0t-bat »

Tyranus wrote: [Geeky IT Lesson simplified]
Further to that, Network devices every wired and wireless, blue tooth included has what's known as a MAC address or Physical address, generally this is hard coded and can't be changed, it's a unique id. You can setup your home wireless to enable only certain MAC addresses to access the wireless. I'm sure the police will have something similair to this too, so your broken encryption that worked for a split second won't update, because your receiver is not in "the list". [/Geeky IT Lesson simplified]
Not....quite.
MAC Addresses you are referring to, can easily be changed via windows (Google will tell you how, lots of methods todo so, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{networkclassid} is generally where its kept) (incase your wondering, yes, you can change your mac address to match one of the allowed ones and access the wireless network(illegal.))
Also from what I read this digital network is using DES. if so, cracking DES is trivial, so if you manage todo so, mac address limited or not, you can still decode the packets and listen in.

Not being in "the list" wont prevent you to picking up what is already being transmitted, it will prevent you of course from transmitting, which is always a good thing for WAPOL.

Just fyi..

:P
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

d0t-bat wrote:
Further to that, Network devices every wired and wireless, blue tooth included has what's known as a MAC address or Physical address, generally this is hard coded and can't be changed, it's a unique id. You can setup your home wireless to enable only certain MAC addresses to access the wireless. I'm sure the police will have something similair to this too, so your broken encryption that worked for a split second won't update, because your receiver is not in "the list". [/Geeky IT Lesson simplified]
Not....quite.
MAC Addresses you are referring to, can easily be changed via windows (Google will tell you how, lots of methods todo so, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{networkclassid} is generally where its kept) (incase your wondering, yes, you can change your mac address to match one of the allowed ones and access the wireless network(illegal.))
Also from what I read this digital network is using DES. if so, cracking DES is trivial, so if you manage todo so, mac address limited or not, you can still decode the packets and listen in.

Not being in "the list" wont prevent you to picking up what is already being transmitted, it will prevent you of course from transmitting, which is always a good thing for WAPOL.

Just fyi..

Yep and most people when they see that modifying their registry can cause their computer to not start up again usually don't want to do it. Intel NICs you can change them. Yes MACs are changeable to an extent. however I'm sure they're going to be working on a different system. Or their physical address will be longer so that your NIC can't access the network, and you're less likely to be able to guess it...No I dare say they will not be using DES, and remember trivial for some not for others. I wish you luck in trying to crack their system, so much so that I'd be willing to put money on a bet that you couldn't hack it.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
d0t-bat

Post by d0t-bat »

Tyranus wrote:
d0t-bat wrote:
Not....quite.

Just fyi..

Yep and most people when they see that modifying their registry can cause their computer to not start up again usually don't want to do it. Intel NICs you can change them. Yes MACs are changeable to an extent. however I'm sure they're going to be working on a different system. Or their physical address will be longer so that your NIC can't access the network, and you're less likely to be able to guess it...No I dare say they will not be using DES, and remember trivial for some not for others. I wish you luck in trying to crack their system, so much so that I'd be willing to put money on a bet that you couldn't hack it.
Well yes modifying your register can screw your computer. however there are windows/cmd line based proggies that will do it. You wouldnt need to guess it, "sniffing" the traffic would get you a huge list of allowed mac addresses, like i said that wouldnt be of much benefit since you arnt trying to transmit. Also I wont be hacking it, thats illegal, im more into the technical side of things, and "if it could be done" I know DES can be easily cracked, even 3DES would take 3.5hours on certain computer setups. Wasnt having a go at you mate, was just pointing out some things.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »