Digital encryption

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

francois

Digital encryption

Post by francois »

With police switching to digital encryption, i'm sure Uniden are not happy about this.
With Uniden being such a massive worldwide company for many years, they would be losing an incredible amount of money through scanner sales.
I'm sure Uniden have or will look into it, but i suppose if Uniden can't do anything about it, then no company can. :(
Just a last glimmer of hope i guess.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

People will have to find something else to listen to.
francois

Post by francois »

dazla wrote:People will have to find something else to listen to.
Yes i guess so. No use in me paying $900 for a digital scanner.
I'll stick with the Uniden trunktracker UBCT8 i think.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

prettty much..
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Digital encryption

Post by vk6hgr »

francois wrote:With police switching to digital encryption, i'm sure Uniden are not happy about this.
You have to take things in perspective, though. Uniden probably sell 1000 times more portable telephones, answering machines etc than they do scanners.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
APCO 25 Encrypted

Post by APCO 25 Encrypted »

Ill end all your hopes now. Lol, Sorry.

DES encryption which is used by many state police forces including WA when its fully introduced WILL NOT be hacked or decrypted. I use DES encryption on APCO 25 and from my knowledge and research, i can tell you right now, it will not be cracked.

No manufacturers of scanners will introduce scanners able to decode it because it cant happen.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

francois wrote:With Uniden being such a massive worldwide company for many years, they would be losing an incredible amount of money through scanner sales.
Yes, i expect the loss of a few scanner sales in Perth, Western Australia would be of concern :) .
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

auntys_eyes wrote:
francois wrote:With Uniden being such a massive worldwide company for many years, they would be losing an incredible amount of money through scanner sales.
Yes, i expect the loss of a few scanner sales in Perth, Western Australia would be of concern :) .
Hey I have uses for scanners other than for monitoring VKI so I'm expecting to pick up a bargain or two when the time comes 8)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

im waiting for the cops to go digital , so i can get a bargan and listen to the aviation band , theres more to life , and radios than listening to cops...
woobla

Post by woobla »

APCO 25 Encrypted wrote:Ill end all your hopes now. Lol, Sorry.

DES encryption which is used by many state police forces including WA when its fully introduced WILL NOT be hacked or decrypted. I use DES encryption on APCO 25 and from my knowledge and research, i can tell you right now, it will not be cracked.

No manufacturers of scanners will introduce scanners able to decode it because it cant happen.
That is what the Kriegsmarine U boat flotilla headquarters said about the Enigma coding maching during WW2 :P

and look what happened there. :D.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

ahhh but that was only after an Enigma machine was stolen from a U-boat! until then it was uncrackable. They then also through in the extra wheel which confused things a heap but having already established the formula they were able to to work out the next lot.

unfortunately for you, encryption and coding has moved on a LONG LONG way since then. Hell now the officer can report his radio as stolen, and it's cut off the radio network...It's not going to be cracked.

[Geeky IT Lesson simplified]
Further to that, Network devices every wired and wireless, blue tooth included has what's known as a MAC address or Physical address, generally this is hard coded and can't be changed, it's a unique id. You can setup your home wireless to enable only certain MAC addresses to access the wireless. I'm sure the police will have something similair to this too, so your broken encryption that worked for a split second won't update, because your receiver is not in "the list". [/Geeky IT Lesson simplified]
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
celestial_insight
Banned

Post by celestial_insight »

Tyranus wrote:
[Geeky IT Lesson simplified]
Further to that, Network devices every wired and wireless, blue tooth included has what's known as a MAC address or Physical address, generally this is hard coded and can't be changed, it's a unique id. You can setup your home wireless to enable only certain MAC addresses to access the wireless. I'm sure the police will have something similair to this too, so your broken encryption that worked for a split second won't update, because your receiver is not in "the list". [/Geeky IT Lesson simplified]
I'm no nerd, but are MAC address attached to network card? If you steal a laptop / want to defeat a bit of hardware etc can't you just change the network card or get a MAC Address changing bit of software to load at startup etc.... A bit off topic I realise though..
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Yes you can, each adapter has a MAC address which can be changed either by default drivers that come with the card, this then updates the card, or if you have Server quality cards, you can trunk the ports, and that creates a virtual port with virtual MAC address or your you can just replace your NIC, there are a plethora of different methods, however not all will get you the solution you desire, infact it could cause problems...Such as a MAC address conflict which occured with a virtual PC and a NIC of a normal computer on the network. However again I think if WAPOL suddenly found 100 radios receivers with the same address some questions would be raised.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
APCO 25 Encrypted

Post by APCO 25 Encrypted »

BACK ON TRACK.

The question was about digital encryption. IT CANNOT BE HACKED, CRACKED or DECODED by (the average joe). Only the military and highly classified govt departments have the ability.
Last edited by APCO 25 Encrypted on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

APCO 25 Encrypted wrote: The question was about digital encryption. IT CANNOT BE HACKED, CRACKED or DECODED by anyone other than the military and highly classified govt departments
Well it can. It's encrypted well enough to keep curious civillians from listening in, but I doubt it'd be outside the capabilities of any competent intelligence agency.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR