Shooting in Karratha

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

PK103 was on GWN news tonight along with a highway patrol vehicle and an unmarked station wagon. A man was pulled over by a police officer near Karratha and after a confrontation was shot and killed. Allegedly, he drove off without paying for petrol. PK103 looked to be a marked sedan-style ute with a cage.

TB208 (?), TE205 and AO203 were also featured. Both the latter are silver marked highway patrol vehicles. TB208 (I think that's its callsign) is a booze bus.

I'll watch the news repeat tonight to see if I can find any other information or corrections.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Listening to channel 9 news, it seems that the officer was attacked and bashed. He's in hospital with "severe head injuries".

According to a senior policeman on camera, the officer was experienced with weapons and was in fact the weapons training officer for the region. The senior officer confirmed that a weapon would only be drawn if the officer was in fear for his life.

Whatever happened, it sounds serious. I hope the officer recovers OK...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

The same information was shown on GWN and Seven news. The latter claimed it had "exclusive" pictures. Odd they say that as GWN showed the same footage half an hour earlier. :?

GWN also named and (briefly) showed file footage of who they believed was the the officer and gave details on his family. I don't know that the latter was necessary. [/rant]

I agree - I hope he gets well soon.
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Just goes to show you how something so simple (e.g. stealing of petrol) can turn so serious in the blink of an eye.

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

hitman

Post by hitman »

I am currently holidaying in Melbourne which is 20 minutes from Altona where the 2 sisters were murdered. They now believe the guy that was killed is a suspect in this murder.

He was driving a white Toyota Camry with Victorian number plates.

Homicide detectives are investigating.

I hope for the family's sake here it turns out it is the guy.
hitman

Post by hitman »

Just watching the Melbourne news - it turns out the offender is a convicted rapist and lived next door to the 2 murdered females.

It looks like the situation became serious from the moment the Karratha copper put the lights and sirens on.

Let's hope he will be fine.
Ludacris
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ludacris »

hitman wrote:I am currently holidaying in Melbourne which is 20 minutes from Altona where the 2 sisters were murdered. They now believe the guy that was killed is a suspect in this murder.

He was driving a white Toyota Camry with Victorian number plates.

Homicide detectives are investigating.

I hope for the family's sake here it turns out it is the guy.
Wasn't it a toyota lexcen
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I thought I heard Camry too. :?:
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

I saw the copper offloaded VH-KWO at jandakot ..seems pretty smashed up around the face and head.I`m sure i speak for all of us when i say THANKS and wishing a speedy recovery for that member and his family.
Its a pity in 2006 that our force is so tight and cannot provide two up patrols in all districts at all times, it seems like basic safety logic to me. But what do i know.....im just a scanner user....
hitman

Post by hitman »

Perhaps that will change now... it always takes a serious incident for policy to change.

Just read a news articles that said the Victorian Police on Tuesday found blood stained items at the offenders house and forensic police have confirmed the blood belonged to the girls here in Melbourne.

The Victorian Police could have done more to alert the rest of the nation about this guy. I am sure when the copper pulled over a car with Victorian number plates he might have been a bit more cautious then... and perhaps requested backup immediately? Who knows.

I hope the officer recovers quickly.

PS - The reason I take much interest in this particular incident is because I was born in Wickham, and lived in Karratha for many years. The cops up there from when I was around were great guys and girls.
doogues71
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by doogues71 »

I'm an old Tom Price boy myself.Used to go out on patrol with them quite often they where good Guys.Belveive it or not the sergent whose house backed on to the station had a Blue Heeler dog.Well before Blue Heelers came on the T.V.