Transit Security Running Red Lights

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

JG-103 wrote:Yeah, the sirens on the new ambos are crap, they are only 5 metres passed you and u cant hear nothin.
Prolly 'coz the speakers point forward? :) Last I looked, they have 2 flush mounted in the front bumper/grille.
DanMissing

Post by DanMissing »

Steve wrote:Yep, know them: Secureforce, the Transperth-contracted security company. They have absolutely no authority to do anything other than follow the same traffic regulations as everyone else.
I know some big bosses in secureforce and they have all police power in buslane and busway

It very strange why secureforce can carry pepper spray and Transit Security Cant
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

That would be becauase Transit Guards are accountable, SWORN Officers who work for the WA GOVERNMENT...........Secureforce are idiots....so they can carry spray, anyone can carry spray as long as they dont use it.

Please oh please dont confuse Secureforce Vehicles with PTA Transit Guard vehicles.

Some Transit Guards are Special Constable and this means they come within the definition of a Police Officer when driving vehicles.

When your getting bashed at a Train/Bus Station who would you rather.. a sworn trained Transit Guard or a idiot off the street put in uniform with an ego.

Guys Transit Guards are Railway Police......like it or not...........Secureforce area Security Company like Chubb. They have no powers other than to issue infringment noticies. I know of a Tranist Guard who seized Pepper Spray off a one on a train and booked him.

Leave the real Transit Guards alone........you wont complain when they save your ass. As far as im concerned they should be on trains and busses.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

dazla wrote:Some Transit Guards are Special Constable and this means they come within the definition of a Police Officer when driving vehicles.
Be interested to know where it says that in the Road Traffic Code? PTA Transit Vehicles have magenta beacons after all (same as transport inspectors), not red or blue as required by the code. They have to obey the law like everyone else when on the road.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

The Road Traffic Code allows for the director general to approve vehilces to be emergency vehicles etc. The Railways have red lights etc but are not emergency vehilces.

They do have excemtions under the Road Traffic Act as the officer driving the vehilce may be a special constable and there for is a Police Officer carrying out his duties.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

dazla wrote:The Road Traffic Code allows for the director general to approve vehilces to be emergency vehicles etc. The Railways have red lights etc but are not emergency vehilces.

They do have excemtions under the Road Traffic Act as the officer driving the vehilce may be a special constable and there for is a Police Officer carrying out his duties.
dazla, as I said before and have had confirmed by 2 seperate Transit Guards recently, the lights are magenta *not* red. Pictures of the vehicles also indicate this.

Also, under the Government Railways Act 1904:
74. Railway police
(1) The Authority may, from time to time, with the approval of the Governor, appoint and dismiss special constables who shall not be members of the Police Force but who, within the limits of the government railways, shall have, exercise, and enjoy all such powers, authorities, and immunities, and be liable to such duties and responsibilities as any duly appointed member of the Police Force now has by law.

(1a) The power that subsection (1) gives a special constable to take a person into custody includes the power to take the person in custody to a police station or other place for the person to be dealt with according to law.
Hooning along the road is hardly 'within the limits of the government railways'.
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

G'day Fastlane,

I was interested to view some of the responses to this topic......

I'm not getting involved until my source/contact gets back to me, although I doubt that a Westrail Holden Rodeo (Delta car and i'm not talking about the WAPOL cars) can 'legally' exceed the posted speed limit regardless of who's driving.

For starters they don't have red/blue lights! I thought the magenta lights on these vehicles were solely for the purpose of traffic-control at a Railway incident (boom-gates rooted etc etc....)

I will apologise if I'm proved wrong.

cheers

Tom
Last edited by Tom on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

74. Railway police
(1) The Authority may, from time to time, with the approval of the Governor, appoint and dismiss special constables who shall not be members of the Police Force but who, within the limits of the government railways, shall have, exercise, and enjoy all such powers, authorities, and immunities, and be liable to such duties and responsibilities as any duly appointed member of the Police Force now has by law.

(1a) The power that subsection (1) gives a special constable to take a person into custody includes the power to take the person in custody to a police station or other place for the person to be dealt with according to law.

does the part in bold include driving over the speed limit fast lane?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

chrissss wrote:74. Railway police

does the part in bold include driving over the speed limit fast lane?
read the bit before it. "within the limits of the government railways". That means the powers do not exist outside railway property. Roads are not railway property...
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

As far as i know and from what i have read in the Road Traffic Act that the only cars that have any priority are those with the RED AND BLUE LIGHTS, in saying this i dont see any blue on Western Power Vehicles......all other vehicle Must obey the current road traffic laws.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

Antt wrote:As far as i know and from what i have read in the Road Traffic Act that the only cars that have any priority are those with the RED AND BLUE LIGHTS, in saying this i dont see any blue on Western Power Vehicles......all other vehicle Must obey the current road traffic laws.
281. Exemption for drivers of emergency vehicles (other)
A provision of these regulations does not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle that is not being used for official duties by a police officer if -

(a) in the circumstances -

(i) the driver is taking reasonable care; and

(ii) it is reasonable that the provision should not apply;

and

(b) the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving and the vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Well if I could post a pic I would, the lights are definatly RED, only a couple of the old deltas have the old light bars with the old magenta lights.

When they are driving to an emergency they are attending an incident that is occuring on RAILWAY property.....therefore they have such immunities etc whilst attending a job on railway property and operating a RED light.

Another point to take into account is that Transit Guards are now appointed under the PTA Act and have authority on all Transperth Property and routes ie bus routes, bus stops, exchanges, bus lanes and anything attached or conneted with or used for Public Transport.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Red isn't magenta in my eyes. :shock: :P
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Thats right mate..........RED is RED.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
dazla
150+ posts