WA Police Changeover to Digital Radio

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Rockjet
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Rockjet »

I think it will be a while before regionals get them, Geraldton is still in carrier pigeon!!! :lol:
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I heard a freo car get a job on tardis a few nights ago, just wondering if any of the wapol guys might know if they have had a problem with batteries running flat or does the tardis turn its self off when the vehicles off.

I know in melobourne they had a problem guys leaving the screens in the car on and ending up with flat batteries.
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

yorky wrote:
GC101 wrote:
auntys_eyes wrote:The officers confirmed that both West Metro & Central Metro regions have gone fully digital :cry:
and northwest and mig and teg and rog and rail unit and the list goes on hahah suckers
Then why can I still hear them fine on CH34 + CH21/41? Digital yes, but you can still hear them on analog.

Until everyone is on board transmissions will still be patched through on the analogue network. Otherwise how would a South Metro or South East Metro vehicle be able to go into Central or West Metro and use the radio.........
You can tell by listening to a vehicle transmissions as to whether they are using analogue or digital, it is quite distinctive.
In relation to battery problems there have been none as they have power saving functions to prevent running the battery flat.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

CHEV4EVR wrote: You can tell by listening to a vehicle transmissions as to whether they are using analogue or digital, it is quite distinctive.
Sounds like a bad GSM mobile call. Audio quality is very mediocre.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

and the portables can sometime sound like you are talking in a toilet bowl. Mind you I can live with the distortion given the repeater range and lack of crackle.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

CHEV4EVR wrote:and the portables can sometime sound like you are talking in a toilet bowl. Mind you I can live with the distortion given the repeater range and lack of crackle.
I'm going to have to dust off the old WARSUG press pass and arrange me a demonstration one of these days... :smt020
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
CHEV4EVR
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by CHEV4EVR »

I would give you a demo but unfortunatley I have moved to an area that is not "online" yet. If you don't get a look shortly pm me and I will see what I can organise.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

CHEV4EVR wrote:I would give you a demo but unfortunatley I have moved to an area that is not "online" yet. If you don't get a look shortly pm me and I will see what I can organise.

Awesome, Thanks! :P
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

Is the digital radio encyrpted or can we still listen in?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

It's digital, so your scanner won't pick it up. Because they've made it digital wouldn't be too much harder to encrypt it, so they're probably doing that too.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

but what if they didn't (which is unlikely) encrypyt it? Then you should be able to listen in with a digital radio then?
Ausrob
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ausrob »

Tyranus wrote:It's digital, so your scanner won't pick it up. Because they've made it digital wouldn't be too much harder to encrypt it, so they're probably doing that too.
Sorry that wasn't structured correctly. It's my understanding that the Uniden UBCD996T and UBCD396T can listen in on digital radio that are unencyrpted.

But I've read I'm not sure if it's here or elsewhere that each digital handset WAPOL is using needs to be married to the base station to communicate.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Ok fair call yes a digital scanner won't pick it up.

If they have to be married to a base station then:
a) the base station is going to break the law, about being married to more than 1! :lol:
b) sounds like they're going to use digital certificates/tokens in the radios, that will instruct the radio on how to lock the packet so that only the base and other handsets can open it, this would then make it possible to easily change if a handset gets stolen, simply have docking stations at the desk, or in the car which can update with a new certificate, and for the car radios, it can just be pushed out through the TADIS. Bikes they'd have to work through a slightly different system.
Then once everyone has the new certificate, just block the old certificate and presto someone has a useless police radio, unless they can dock it at a police station. But then they'll probably have it as a recorded bad serial, so it won't update, and if anything will pretend to update, but will notify someone that it's plugged in somewhere.

Sorry, my inner geek just couldn't resist.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

that dosn't sound geekish,
it's a very structured answer to the question
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

The encryption has nothing to do with tadis. All the motorola radio's have OTAR over the air rekeying of the encrytion code. This code is itself is encrypted with in the digital packet that is sent to the radio with the encrypted audio and channel control data. It would be extremely difficult to decrypt this information which is why it was chosen. The radio is keyed at the start with the callsign, serial number and other data then it is able to be controlled over the air.