Meteor mistaken for Fireworks

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Meteor mistaken for Fireworks

Post by radiohead »

Hi Guys,
About 45mins ago on channel 64, I heard VKI say they had received numerous calls about fireworks across the whole metro area and 8 calls from people in Northam. He said he was trying to call the observatory but couldn't get through because it was so busy with calls!
A few minutes before this the operator on the Freo channel said they had about 20 calls about fireworks in the area then he said it was a meteorite, it's natural phenomenom!

I saw a blue flash in the sky, I just thought it was a flash of lightning but it must've been the meteor... cool hehe :D

Coincidentally, meteors can affect radiowaves and bounce signals etc. :P Check this link out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor

Jo :)
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

I saw the sky light up too then the radio station I was listening too in the car had a number of callers on the air.

Can't find any more info about it on the net yet though. Guess there'll be news reports in the morning.

Does anyone know a channel they might be using for this? And since it was apparently down south, any chance I'm going to be able to receive it in the hills of Perth?
pinkbosseslady
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by pinkbosseslady »

I was outside at the time for a mates bbq in palmyra and the sky started to light up a few times and we didn't believe it was lightening because there was no thunder it was quite freaky.

I dont think they would use any channel for this and it is in todays paper
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

hitman

Post by hitman »

I too saw this. It had a huge green tail and it flew across the sky ... I saw it from Northbridge and straight away knew it wasn't fireworks. It drifted for ages, flying along... quite scary!