Radar Detectors

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Mad Marsupial

Post by Mad Marsupial »

I think that radar detectors are illegal in the eastern states though. Can anyone confirm this.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Yes they are illegal on the east coast. The use of navigation unit as speed warning devices is very helpful in keeping below the speed limit. Mine (a Destinator ) nags badly if I am 1Kmh over the speed limit .The only down fall is the unit cannot know the speed limits in roadwork areas like Kwinana Freeway .
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I am thinking of getting a detector just for the Safety Warning System - it tells you if there's an emergency vehicle approaching. I have no need for the other parts of a detector otherwise as I stay under the limit.
yorky

Post by yorky »

WPXZBP wrote:I am thinking of getting a detector just for the Safety Warning System - it tells you if there's an emergency vehicle approaching. I have no need for the other parts of a detector otherwise as I stay under the limit.
How on earth does it know that there's an emergency vehicle around?
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Emergency vehicles can be fitted out with a transmitter which can be detected by scanners with SWS installed.

Do a web search for SWS or "Safety Warning System" to find further info.
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

WPXZBP wrote:Emergency vehicles can be fitted out with a transmitter which can be detected by scanners with SWS installed.

Done and saved everyone else searching here is a link to confirm what WPXZBP has said. http://www.adrawa.com.au/issues.htm
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

danny wrote:Such as Navmans / Tom Toms

Many of you got these devices in your cars? Must admit there pretty good, just wish the price would come down on them a bit!
Oooo pick me, pick me! Got a Navman ICN520 and I reckon it's great when going to unfamilar places.

It's only tried to send me into a farmer's field once :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
danny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by danny »

Zebedee wrote: It's only tried to send me into a farmer's field once :)
hehehehe
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

The story behind that was, I was out behind Bullsbrook somewhere and on the Navman, there was a road marked where no road existed. Only a gate into a field.

I suspect it's one of those roads that's on a 20-30-40-50 year plan and was incorrectly marked as already here... :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

WPXZBP wrote:Emergency vehicles can be fitted out with a transmitter which can be detected by scanners with SWS installed.

Sorry to break it too you, but having owned the top of the range BEL Detector (Vector LR) for about 5 years in my experience so far the Detector has only triggered in response to an SWS Alert approx. 4 times - 2 x for SJA and 2 x for MRWA Vehicles (Displays Highway Workman Ahead)...

So guess there aren't that many vehicles fitted with this system as yet!

Just my 5c worth...

Cheers, CC
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

ConstableCare wrote:

Sorry to break it too you, but having owned the top of the range BEL Detector (Vector LR) for about 5 years in my experience so far the Detector has only triggered in response to an SWS Alert approx. 4 times - 2 x for SJA and 2 x for MRWA Vehicles (Displays Highway Workman Ahead)...

So guess there aren't that many vehicles fitted with this system as yet!

Just my 5c worth...

Cheers, CC
Never said they were fitted... I said they can be fitted...
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ConstableCare »

WPXZBP wrote:I am thinking of getting a detector just for the Safety Warning System - it tells you if there's an emergency vehicle approaching. I have no need for the other parts of a detector otherwise as I stay under the limit.
Just thought I would advise you as you said you were thinking of getting one... Thats all! Wasn't trying to be a smart ar*e or anything...

Cheers, CC
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

No worries CC. :)