smoking in vehicles

Frequencies, Callsigns and discussion on the WA Police Service radio (VKI)

Moderator: Bonez

Yes i agree with the law.

Poll ended at Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:52 am

No i don't agree with the law
6%
Yes i agree with the law.
72%
No it is not practically enforceable
17%
Yes it is practically enforceable
6%

Total votes: 18

Cloverfield
150+ posts
150+ posts

smoking in vehicles

Post by Cloverfield »

Last edited by Cloverfield on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Styles can be applied quickly to selected text! meh!
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

Great, the police get to be nannies as well!! I agree with not smoking in a car with kids in it, but you can't enforce a zero smoking ban or we'll have police booking themselves...seen a few WAPOL vehicles at night where the officers were having a quick smoke driving between jobs.
Better add...a waste of police time, given the amount of other things that would be further up the priority list to deal with.
impdxn

Post by impdxn »

Hmm, 11 votes and only one actual reply explaining there stance.

My vote, I agree with the law.

Bungarra as to "a waste of police time" I disagree. Just because there is a law and an Officer sees an offense being committed does not necessarily mean that Officer has to take action. Police Officers to a certain extent have discretion when it comes to offenses. If the law is there it allows the Officer to take action, not force them too.

So for example with the law enacted here in WA and I'm patrolling around on a slow night and there are no jobs outstanding. I see a person driving a vehicle smoking with an infant in the back. I haven't spotted any other offenses being committed so stopping the person is not wasting my time.

Personally I would probably more likely enforce the law when it came to young children (infants, toddlers, etc) as they can not defend for themselves. Its the parents job to look after their child's health and well being and they are obviously not doing that by subjecting them to section hand smoke.

Also again in relation to your waste of time comment, sometimes minor offenses like these provide good pinches (or arrests). There have been numerous of times that Police have pulled someone over for a minor offence or traffic violation and ended up getting a good arrest out of it in relation to a much more serious crime. For example look at the Police Officer in Karratha who pulled over the individual for a traffic offense. He ended up turning out to be a murder.
Bungarra

Post by Bungarra »

I di dactually agree with the ban on smoking with kids in the car in my earlier post, just not the zero tolerance to every one else. If you do that you may as well ban the people drinking coffee when they drive. You do see a lot of civvies and police doing this. You could drop the coffee in your lap and burn the jatz and hit the car in front, mount a kerb etc. But that's my opinion, may not be any one elses...that's life.