TPG Mobile, any good?

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

Wazza Y

TPG Mobile, any good?

Post by Wazza Y »

Hello everyone, just wanted to ask if anyone here is or knows someone who is with TPG mobile, if so what are they like? Currently with Crazy Johns but not happy with poor reception in my area and constant issues with no 3G internet connection in a few areas including Perth. Hoping the change from a Vodaphone connection to Optus will be more reliable.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: TPG Mobile, any good?

Post by robbage »

Wazza Y wrote:Currently with Crazy Johns but not happy with poor reception in my area and constant issues with no 3G internet connection in a few areas including Perth. Hoping the change from a Vodaphone connection to Optus will be more reliable.
I had the same problem with a Crazy Johns Vodaphone. I lost 75% of my download allotment because I could never connect reliably. Total garbage.
Good luck.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

I had a contract with TPG, originally with B which was taken over by TPG.
In my opinion, they over complicate the contracts making it difficult to understand exactly what you are paying for - as always YMMV

I switched to Iinet, which is a monthly (no contract) SIM only service and you have to be an Iinet customer to get it.
They also use the Optus network which has a few dead spots in the hills, but otherwise seems to have good coverage and reliability.

For my requirements I have found Iinet's product to be much better value than the contracts I have had before.
I have found that contracts that include a handset are a very expensive way to buy a handset.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

TPG mobile are fine. They don't have complicated contracts like they used to before they were B/Soul.

Their cap plans are quite attractive, but look at the small print as there is a gotcha that 13/1300 numbers aren't included in some of the plans.

I agree, the Vodafone network is crap. I'm an Optus customer and not really that happy with the 3G coverage where I live and work, but that's not to say you will have the same problem.

You can't win really.. if you want value you go with Voda or Optus, if you want coverage you have no choice other than Telstra.

Have a look on the Whirlpool forums under the "Mobile Carrier" section and you can get a bit of an idea.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

A close family friend of mine actually recomended me to - captaincompare.com.au - does all sorts of comparisons. Give this a try.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.