spam...

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: spam...

Post by hold3n »

Zebedee wrote:
hold_3_n wrote:my idea
for spam why not have a special question to answer and catchpa
Captcha? What's that? Does it look anything like the thing at the bottom of the WARSUG registration page?

Having a special question to answer wouldn't stop what's happening from happening, as the people who are signing up are real human beings, not robots.

So even if you asked "what's the fifth word in the line underneath the page's title?" (i.e. "responsible"), then any human being who can read the English language and count to at least five would be able to answer it.

There's no "problem" here to solve. Spammers come, leave their mark, and we delete them. Everyone else continues on just as before.
captcha is a anti robot device that stops bots in there track. The thing at the bottom is captcha well i guess now its no point do to people registering
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

hold_3_n wrote:captcha is a anti robot device that stops bots in there track.
Uhhhhhhh - yeah, exactly!
The thing at the bottom is captcha well i guess now its no point do to people registering
Seriously??? How many bots do you see registering? None.

Why? Because Captcha fixes that part of the problem. It doesn't fix the problem of human beings with functioning eyeballs, which is why the spammer level for this site is relatively low compared to some other forum sites out there.

It's one of the universal laws of life - if you run a forum site, you will get spammers. It's inevitable. The only way you can have no spammers is to have no forum members ;)

Spammers are dealt with as they arive. At the moment, almost all of the spammer accounts use free email providers (Hotmail, GMail, etc) to register. We could further cut the number of spammers registering by banning every account that has used a free email provider to register. However this would have other consequences - hint: what email provider did you use to register your account and what would happen if we banned all Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail type accounts? :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

Zebedee wrote:
hold_3_n wrote:captcha is a anti robot device that stops bots in there track.
Uhhhhhhh - yeah, exactly!
The thing at the bottom is captcha well i guess now its no point do to people registering
Seriously??? How many bots do you see registering? None.

Why? Because Captcha fixes that part of the problem. It doesn't fix the problem of human beings with functioning eyeballs, which is why the spammer level for this site is relatively low compared to some other forum sites out there.

It's one of the universal laws of life - if you run a forum site, you will get spammers. It's inevitable. The only way you can have no spammers is to have no forum members ;)

Spammers are dealt with as they arive. At the moment, almost all of the spammer accounts use free email providers (Hotmail, GMail, etc) to register. We could further cut the number of spammers registering by banning every account that has used a free email provider to register. However this would have other consequences - hint: what email provider did you use to register your account and what would happen if we banned all Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail type accounts? :P
ah im with Hotmail
so no free = no me
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

spamming

Post by kyeboi »

did warsug just get spammed ?
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
WPXZBP

Re: spamming

Post by WPXZBP »

Yes but it was quickly cleared up by the Administrators.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: spamming

Post by robbage »

We have ways and means of getting quick action. Telepathy mostly 8)
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Simple flick of the mouse! Kapoof!
I've closed the door!