A fairly unique opportunity

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

Nafenn

A fairly unique opportunity

Post by Nafenn »

Have you ever wanted to go for a flight in a light aircraft, but wasn't sure how to go about it? If so, I have an idea...

Even though I'm a qualified commercial pilot, I don't currently work for any company that conducts charter flights. I'm currently looking for work and there's some good jobs out there, but the more hours I have in my logbook, the more employable I am.

If you go to a charter company or an aero club, you can book a scenic flight around Perth and feel what it's like to fly in a light aircraft. A typical cost would be around $350 for one hour.

I can give you the same, or better, experience for much less money. I'm not currently allowed to make money from flying people around, but I can fly and share the costs equally with my passengers.

For example: a one hour scenic flight with me in a four-seater aircraft will cost around $270 overall, but if we split the cost between myself and one passenger, it costs us about $135 each. Splitting it between myself and two passengers, it costs about $90 each, and so on...

These are obviously rough figures, to give people an idea of how much it would cost. It could be a bit more expensive, or a bit cheaper, depending on things like the type of aircraft we take, the length of time we choose to fly for or where we go. Scenic flights from a charter operator are the flat $350 for an hour, but I'm a lot more flexible; for example, we could fly over to Rottnest, have lunch, and fly back. We are only limited by cost, the weather and our imagination.

So - the big questions ...

What do YOU get out of it? A cheap flight from Jandakot to see the beautiful City of Perth, or wherever you might like to go. For example - ever wondered what your school looks like from the air? What about flying up the coast and checking out places like Fremantle, Cottesloe or Hillarys Boat Harbour?

What do I get out of it? The main things I gain are hours in my log book, someone interesting to talk to on the flight and someone to share the costs with.

So, if this sounds like something you'd like to give a try, feel free to e-mail me at nathan@nafenn.com and I'll run you through some options, and approximate costs.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Nafenn

Re: A fairly unique opportunity

Post by Nafenn »

*reworded for clarity*
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
LighteningCrashes
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Tait2020

Post by LighteningCrashes »

What sort of plane is it in?
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

LighteningCrashes wrote:What sort of plane is it in?
The Best options for most flights would be the Cessna 172RG for pilot and up to two passengers, which is used for advanced training. It has 4 seats along with a fair ammount of space.

Or, the Cessna 182RG. With alot more power and speed than the 172RG, it is more suited for flights of any length with pilot and three passengers.

A couple of other aircraft that we could use are:

The Cessna 152, which only has 2 seats. It is mainly used for initial training, but has nowhere near as much room to move.

or The Partenavia P68, with 6 seats and plenty of room. The partenavia is much faster than the 172 and the 152, making it a better choice for longer distance flights with more passengers. It is, however, much more expensive, and is not as well suited for shorter flights with few passengers.
Last edited by Nafenn on Sat May 22, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images
Nathan Fenn

phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

expect an email from me soon mate!
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter