Car parking @ Midland train station

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

gkoutlis

Re: Car parking @ Midland train station

Post by gkoutlis »

I've just asked one of my colleagues here at work who lives up that way, and says it's pretty tough going trying to find a parking spot at Midland Train Station. He resorted to taking he bicycle and locking it in the compound, but by 7am - all compounds were occupied.

Its pretty much shock horror when you try getting a car bay - He told me that the bays are all usually full by 7am - anything after that.. Good luck...

Parking prices in the city can give you a heart attack - The most convenient one for me is the Convention Centre (dont go all that often) but $14 from 7am till 4:30pm - and then you have cheaper away from the city (closer to the Causeway).

Hope this helps mate.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

I haven't parked at Midland for about 3 years, but back then if you weren't there by 7:30am there were no parking bays left - I imagine it's even worse now.

There is a free side, and a pay side ($2/day) which you can pay with your smartrider I think. I know what you mean about the bus services to the station - it's dreadful to my area too.

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Yes you can use your smart rider for paying the $2 at Midland. Not sure on the "occupied status" anymore these days, but I used to get parking when I was starting at 9am a couple of years ago on the Service desk. Alternatively, Guildford station is closer/quicker to/from High Wycombe but it does get missed by some express trains. If this is not an issue, there's a bit of parking there. Rush hour traffic though can make it a bit of a pain through there, but at least it's not Midland :P
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Thanks for the replies all...

I'd be happy to pay the $2 with my smartrider if I could park at Midland... it also means you get the extra little bit of 'security' cause it's more of a secure car park.

Anyone on this board who frequents Midland station daily who could possibly check out parking availability in the pay car park between the hours of 7 and 9 am and report back to me?

I only go to Midland station during peak times on a rare basis at the moment so if there's someone lurking who goes there daily it would be awesome if you could have a quick peek and let me know :)

Cheers
Blake
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

I'll ask the old man though he's not going there as late as 9. A bit closer to the 7am time.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Awesome dude cheers

7am would be ideal for me, i like to work early and get the day over and done with...

with the new contract that has just been signed someone in our team has to be there till 5:30pm 'just in case' so we have a roster, its only 1 out of every 7 weeks or something that I work 9:30-5:30

the rest of the time I generally start between 7:30 and 8ish so would be looking at getting a park at midland at 6:50-7am and jumping on the train from there...

:)
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

shouldn't be too bad at that time, probably catching even the free parking at that point soon before 7, but most of the good spots for shade will be gone, or very close to.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Bonez wrote:it also means you get the extra little bit of 'security' cause it's more of a secure car park.
Actually I don't know about that... I've seen the 'security' guy and he didn't scare me...

Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

He's not meant to be 'scary' :P. He's there to ensure if someone's breaking into your car to get details or if your car jumps out of nowhere and smashes into another car all on it's own then he can get the details for you. That sort of thing. The guys at Midland are also good, in that if the machine you parked near is broken, they don't make you walk to the other machine and buy a ticket they just say don't worry about it, so you get free parking.
Last edited by Tyranus on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

I catch the train from Midland most days, any time from about 7am to 9.30am. Parking gets scarce very quickly. The free bays go first (obviously) and then the paid bays soon after. I wouldn't call them "secure"... they are fenced (not gated) and "security" is an old guy wandering around. Wouldn't count on getting a bay much beyond 7.30.

The Centrepont Shopping Centre carpark is opposite, but heavily signposted as "3 hour parking". I don't know how heavily checked it is or how likely you are to get a ticket.

To the east of the station, along Railway Pde (over Helena St) are more free parking bays, but it means walking an extra hundred metres or so.

Keep an eye out for a bearded fellow wearing an ABC shirt and say hello :)
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

auntys_eyes wrote:Keep an eye out for a bearded fellow wearing an ABC shirt and say hello :)
Don't look for a bearded fellow...you'll be looking for a while...unless you're growing it all back already??
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Tyranus wrote:...unless you're growing it all back already??
8)

VBFB Member

meg

Post by meg »

Tyranus wrote:
auntys_eyes wrote:Keep an eye out for a bearded fellow wearing an ABC shirt and say hello :)
Don't look for a bearded fellow...you'll be looking for a while...unless you're growing it all back already??
Spotted you this evening a_e - and yep, it's growing back already!

(we were zooming past at 80 and you were on foot or we would have stopped and said hi :D )

auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

:smt039 :smt039 :smt039 :smt039 :smt039

VBFB Member

binclintonusa

Post by binclintonusa »

I don't know how heavily checked it is or how likely you are to get a ticket. :D [-X

pret auto