Free DVD Software

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Free DVD Software

Post by spartacus »

I need to burn a DVD that I made (of a wedding), the problem is that it runs for 1 hour 46 minuets. It was created in Final Cut Pro (a Mac Editing Program) and Final Cut usually exports straight to iDVD for menu creation, chapter naming, burning etc. However, iDVD has a one hour limit running time for burning DVD's (I'm assuming it's to stop pirated movies). Is there any DVD writing software (preferably free) that anyone can recommend? It can be for either Windows or Mac. Thanks,
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: Free DVD Software

Post by Tyranus »

DVD shrink, is a free burning program for windows. I don't know if it would be compatible with the file you're using, unless you've got a .iso file.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

DVD shrink will not help in this situation.

You can download Trial versions of Nero (www.nero.com) for both Windows and Mac. An alternative may be CDBurnerXP (although I am not sure what the support is like for DVD's) - but it's freeware.

Just google free DVD burning software, even if you need to get a trial version, you should still be able to get the job done.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Problem doesn't sound like its in burning the DVD, but authoring it... right?

*gulp* wont Windows Movie Maker (in Vista Premium) let you do this?
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Toast?

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by spartacus »

Fastlane wrote:Problem doesn't sound like its in burning the DVD, but authoring it... right?

*gulp* wont Windows Movie Maker (in Vista Premium) let you do this?
Yeah, I've got nero and that is all well and good, but the film just appears as a file when played on a dvd player. And yes, Fastlane is right, the problem is about authoring the disk.

I have got a back up plan of doing it on two disks (The Wedding Ceremony and Reception)

Movie Maker is a &*^%&*(%^* but i may look into Toast a little more,
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I've used Cyberlink PowerProducer Gold to good effect. It authors DVDs.
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

spartacus wrote:
Fastlane wrote:Problem doesn't sound like its in burning the DVD, but authoring it... right?
Yeah, I've got nero and that is all well and good, but the film just appears as a file when played on a dvd player. And yes, Fastlane is right, the problem is about authoring the disk.
Just as a matter of interest, what file extension is the file being played in the DVD player?

I use a program for authoring DVD's and video's I have made, and I am very comfortable with it. Magix Movie Edit Pro is the name. The only possible problem with trial software is it usually either limits the amount of time it will allow or puts a watermark across your video. No idea what happens with Magix software in trial mode but a trial download is available. All authoring software that I have seen are very similar in the way things are done.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those who do not.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Nero has step by step authoring which is very simple to use if you already have nero.

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/6143/DVD+A ... +with+NERO
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

spartacus wrote: Yeah, I've got nero and that is all well and good, but the film just appears as a file when played on a dvd player. And yes, Fastlane is right, the problem is about authoring the disk.

I have got a back up plan of doing it on two disks (The Wedding Ceremony and Reception)

Movie Maker is a &*^%&*(%^* but i may look into Toast a little more,
If you are using Nero and it's just burning a raw video to the disc then unfortunately you are doing it wrong.

Use your video editing software to export it to the correct "vob" files, or if possible export it directly to an ISO.

With "vob" files and nero, you just need to "Create a new DVD movie disc" and then drag all of the vob files to the "VIDEO_TS" directory and burn it. Simple. No files go in the "Audio_TS" folder.

If you can take the 2nd option and actually export to an ISO, even easier. Click the "Recorder" menu in Nero and choose "Burn DVD ISO"

That is all you need do.

If you have any more questions, or still can't sus it out, feel free to PM me. I have burnt home movies, weddings, random footage etc heaps of times from my own digital video camera.

Cheers
Bonez
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by spartacus »

It's a bit late for me to give these a try but I'm going to try tomorrow and i'll let you know how i go. Thanks again for all the help.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by spartacus »

just to let everyone know:

Nero was the way to go, i had an older version then the example Turbo showed. However all is good know, and thankyou to all, just have to make another 14 copies know...
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Happy burning :)
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by spartacus »

Bonez wrote:Happy burning :)
That is an oxymoron, thanks to everyone and a gold sticker to Turbo. My version of nero (seven i think) had it listed under the advanced functions and hence i didn't know it existed.

Thankyou again,
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

WooHoo I like gold stickers!