Burning your own bush

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Burning your own bush

Post by Helitak_670 »

Today I decided to burn my back yard. Yes I did have a permit.
I had burnt at this stage 80% of what I needed to do. I then had a neighbor 2 doors down shout out, is that a fire or a burn. I replied a burn....
Are you a fire fighter (like derrrr) Yea mate.
Is it under control? Yea sure is. (at this stage I had some wattle branches flare up)
What Brigade are you from? KHJJKJGJG brigade
Then he jumped over 2 fences to come have a chat. He was a tad concerned but it was rather funny at how the convo went. He left still not convinced that I did a good burn!

Oh and I had a good chance to do some experimenting. Was rather interesting. I made a small junction zone, and it was astounding at what I have previously learnt through the year to see it for real. I also did a few other experiments to. Anyone else had a chance to do so?
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

At least you have a good neighbour that sounds as if he is concerned about your property and his.
I've closed the door!
Robb

Post by Robb »

I learnt by accident just how quickly a fire can spread out of the cleared zone as it did right up the bank. Within 30 secs the fire trippled in size and by the tike I got the hose on it, it was 7x's the size..
Happy scanning,

Robb Wise,
Scanning Tasmania
www.scanningtasmania.org
Uniden UBC9000XLT & UBCD 996 & 396T. Icom RX7. SW: Sangean ATS 505 & 909
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

I hope you don't go and practice your skills on a state forest.
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Robb wrote:I learnt by accident just how quickly a fire can spread out of the cleared zone as it did right up the bank. Within 30 secs the fire trippled in size and by the tike I got the hose on it, it was 7x's the size..
For every 10 degrees in slope the rate of the fire doubles. That's what they taught us at our induction at the Mundaring Fire School. So really need to watch them hills!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Post by Jonesy »

You dont really appreciate how much a fire can change given the right factors. Thats why burns like the one you did Helitak_670 and other controlled burns are probably the most valuable training you can get if you have not experienced much fireground activity.

I think some/most brigades/shires enforce the rulling that you must attend X number of burns b4 you can go on the fire ground for that very reason. It is critical. I pushed it pretty hard in my previous brigade back east and was well worth it, and meant less area for some one to set fire too in the middle of the night too :)
Robb

Re: Burning your own bush

Post by Robb »

I'd hope to not go near our state forests.. mind you the rate Forestry Tasmania is going thru the trees I'm not sure it would make much impact. Tasmania is very hilly, so no wonder our bush fires are bad. It still amazed me how the Tas Police use 800MHz EDACS with all these hills. Tehy're about to try ProVoice too and I'm concerned that the encryption will endanger the cops again. They used AGEIS before but due to poor reception it endangered their lives.
Happy scanning,

Robb Wise,
Scanning Tasmania
www.scanningtasmania.org
Uniden UBC9000XLT & UBCD 996 & 396T. Icom RX7. SW: Sangean ATS 505 & 909
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

I did this once and had the ranger come around because I did not have a permit. There were only little piles of leaves to burn. He ended up burning it for me with his far superior fire knowledge, however accused me of trying to bribe him when I offered him a cup of coffee.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

Toottoot wrote:I did this once and had the ranger come around because I did not have a permit. There were only little piles of leaves to burn. He ended up burning it for me with his far superior fire knowledge, however accused me of trying to bribe him when I offered him a cup of coffee.
lol maybe he tho u meant jim bean
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

playworth wrote:
Toottoot wrote:I did this once and had the ranger come around because I did not have a permit. There were only little piles of leaves to burn. He ended up burning it for me with his far superior fire knowledge, however accused me of trying to bribe him when I offered him a cup of coffee.
lol maybe he tho u meant jim bean
I think she was kidding....
I've closed the door!