Amount of Power??

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

Scottus

Amount of Power??

Post by Scottus »

hey this is a far fetched question i am not sure if any one will have an answer, but for a presentation i am giving i have worked out the amount of power produced by a fusion reactor (don’t worry about the details) and it would be great if i had a comparison to the amount.
9.958534674 x 10^13 J is the amount of power so if any one knows the amount of power produced by a large plane or ship or something that would be great
thanks Scotty
8)
Last edited by Scottus on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nafenn

Re: Amount of Power??

Post by Nafenn »

Scottus wrote:hey this is a far fetched question i am not sure if any one will have an answer, but for a presentation i am giving i have worked out the amount of power produced by a fusion reactor (don’t worry about the details) and it would be great if i had a comparison to the amount.
9.958534674 x 10^13 J is the amount of power so if any one knows the amount of power produced by a large plain of ship or something that would be great
thanks Scotty
8)
An A380 can produce up to 84,000 lb/374 kN PER engine... whats that in Joules - not a clue :)
Kwinana Power Station has a total generating capacity of 900MW or enough energy to light nine million 100 watt globes.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

this website should suffice for all your needs

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html

the project sounds exciting; are you studding nuclear physics?
To stop displaying signatures, go to the User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Display signatures > No > Submit
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

Cheers!!
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

spartacus wrote: the project sounds exciting; are you studding nuclear physics?
Yeah pretty much more of a special interest i guess, the basics at least
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

So assuming 60% efficiency that would give 66,000 times the amount of power from the Kwinana Power Station. (from 0.01 gram of hydrogen)
WOW :D :D
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Joules (energy) and Newtons (force) are different units - just like centimetres and degrees Celsius are different units. There is no simple conversion.

[/physics lesson]
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

yeah figured just before sorry
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

WPXZBP wrote:Joules (energy) and Newtons (force) are different units - just like centimetres and degrees Celsius are different units. There is no simple conversion.

[/physics lesson]
However... Joules/Second = Watts

so if you can get the figure in Watts... it is comparable to Kwinana ;)

</physicsstudygroup>
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Touché!
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

Isnt VoltsxAmps=watts?
thats what i was told, not sure if theres any fact to it
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

nra555 wrote:Isnt VoltsxAmps=watts?
yes

Power = voltage x current = energy / time