RAWRZ!

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

Natatha

RAWRZ!

Post by Natatha »

Well, let's see...

I seem to be the only American on here... How sad.

Anyway, I would be a good friend of your buddy and Dictato.. .err.. Administrator Zebedee...

How is everyone here?

:twisted:
Mike Kelly

Fire Explorer 881
Altoona Fire Department
Altoona, Wisconsin, USA
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

G'day Mike and welcome to WARSUG...

Now behave or the instruments of torture will have to come out! :twisted:

Would you like to explain a little bit more about your signature - especially the "Fire Explorer" part? Some of our folks here who are in the fire services would probably find it interesting what you do, etc...

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Natatha

Post by Natatha »

Zebedee wrote:G'day Mike and welcome to WARSUG...

Now behave or the instruments of torture will have to come out! :twisted:

Would you like to explain a little bit more about your signature - especially the "Fire Explorer" part? Some of our folks here who are in the fire services would probably find it interesting what you do, etc...

Cheers,
Sure, in simple, we're basically students in a Firefighter training course, however it's not for certification, but just to learn before we get into the actual course. As well, we train right along side the other firefighters...

News Story

Television News Story
Mike Kelly

Fire Explorer 881
Altoona Fire Department
Altoona, Wisconsin, USA
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Thanks for that...

To the people from our local BFB or VFRS units, is there anything similar that happens here?

I've seen bits and pieces from time time time, and I know that there's the emergency service cadets that are done through some schools, but is there anything that's similar to what Mike does in the US?

Cheers,

It is very dark.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

whats with the title "RAWRZ"

Mind you be careful with your spelling, there are alot a nazi's in this forum that will gladly hump down your throat and point it out
Natatha

Post by Natatha »

written_ficton wrote:whats with the title "RAWRZ"

Mind you be careful with your spelling, there are alot a nazi's in this forum that will gladly hump down your throat and point it out
Joke...

And as far as spelling, I'm generally pretty good, save the occasional mistakes. However, if you get on my case about "Amercianized" spelling... Not cool. :P
Mike Kelly

Fire Explorer 881
Altoona Fire Department
Altoona, Wisconsin, USA
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Natatha wrote:However, if you get on my case about "Amercianized" spelling... Not cool. :P
Yes well, we'll have to forgive you for that one ...

But back to the more interesting topic of fire fighting ... Of course it's the middle of the day here, so there won't be many responses until later this afternoon / tonight.

But I'm sure that some people will have some good info to share :)

It is very dark.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Zebedee wrote:Thanks for that...

To the people from our local BFB or VFRS units, is there anything similar that happens here?

I've seen bits and pieces from time time time, and I know that there's the emergency service cadets that are done through some schools, but is there anything that's similar to what Mike does in the US?

Cheers,
Some Bush Fire Brigades have cadet units, which sounds similar to what is described in the news articles, though the involvement they have with the wider brigade and the active firefighters themselves probably varies from brigade to brigade. Not sure about the whole 'entry requirement' thing though.. pretty much anyone with parental permission can join up as a cadet. We are all volunteers after all!

We've had quite a few people start as cadets and end up as active firefighters when they turn 16.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Welcome aboard Natatha. Sounds rather interesting. If you're doing training with the fire fighters are you allowed to respond to any small fires or do you just do runs when they do or hydrant drills etc. with them?

Cheers,
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Fastlane wrote:Some Bush Fire Brigades have cadet units, which sounds similar to what is described in the news articles, though the involvement they have with the wider brigade and the active firefighters themselves probably varies from brigade to brigade. Not sure about the whole 'entry requirement' thing though.. pretty much anyone with parental permission can join up as a cadet. We are all volunteers after all!

We've had quite a few people start as cadets and end up as active firefighters when they turn 16.
I think that you can't be an active firefighter until you turn 18 over there, which is a pity. But then there's gonna be different rules and different levels of risk that the various fire departments are willing to take on I suppose.

I assume here that the cadets, where Bush Fire Brigades have them, get to train alongside the rest of the brigade as much as they can. And I vaguely remember reading that one brigade somewhere let cadets (after they'd been trained to a certain level) go to things like hazard reduction burns, but not bush fires.

Every brigade is different I suppose, but it's interesting to see how things are done elsewhere ;)

It is very dark.
Natatha

Post by Natatha »

Tyranus wrote:Welcome aboard Natatha. Sounds rather interesting. If you're doing training with the fire fighters are you allowed to respond to any small fires or do you just do runs when they do or hydrant drills etc. with them?

Cheers,
We aren't allowed to run calls with them, although, I believe when we get trained further, we may be able to... But only for assistance purposes IE: Running tools back and forth, filling SCBA tanks, and also helping with command.

As of right now, we're just doing drills. The last 3 weeks we've been doing Search and Rescue training. Most of which our "Explorer Training" (The hour right before the real firefighter training) has been covering search patterns, and ventilation. However, last week, all four of us explorers were allowed to actually participate in the actual training, and do what the actual assignments are, according to seat position.

As far as how our stuff works, I'll be sure to make a longer winded post later on seat positions, job descriptions, etc. Since I'm sure most of which all change once you cross that ugly timezone line. (I know they do here.)
Mike Kelly

Fire Explorer 881
Altoona Fire Department
Altoona, Wisconsin, USA