P plates - Whats the deal?

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

Reevesy wrote:I hate it when people generalise with provisional drivers. They are sooo wrong when it comes to what the problem is. They think its the high powered cars, so they ban P platers driving V8s
The government know full well what the statistics show. Fatalities involving provisional drivers in V8 powered vehicles is far less then 'mature' drivers in the same cars. It's a poor attempt at a quick fix to a problem that doesn't really exist anywhere else but in the media which then gives the general public the wrong facts.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

[Citation needed]
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
BLiNG

Post by BLiNG »

I can't provide a link, but the first part of my statement is a result of hearing one of the council members from the Road Safety Council/Office of Road Safety on ABC radio responding to Alan Carpenter's ridiculous plan to ban provisional drivers from driving V8 vehicles (Note: the council member wasn't disagreeing with the plan, simply responding to questions by the announcer with facts). The council member confirmed that more full license holders (read: non-provisional) died on WA roads while driving V8 powered vehicles during 2006 and 2007. Certainly there are other factors involved but it showed that Carpenter and his uninformed amateur hour groupies made policies without considering the facts.

The second part of my statement is my own opinion. The government and media's obsession with this so called 'hoon' epidemic is a waste of time, money, and resources. The government should be focusing on the hospitals, pay rises/attracting nurses, police, teachers etc - in other words, real problems, and the media should stop running stories about a bunch of Corolla drivers in Sydney with loud exhausts.

There needs to be a clear distinction between enthusiasts and hoons and the police should be worrying about solving murders, stopping assaults etc instead of carrying out a badly formed policy not based on facts. I'm sure the Police absolutely love confiscating vehicles and dealing with dickhead drivers (sarcasm).

Rant over.

Note: Before the constabulary amongst us start bagging me out I have the utmost respect for what you do. I just think your time is more valuable then worrying about idiots in any type of vehicle and the government should be looking at real policies instead of looking for the nearest packet of band aids.