High Powered Cars

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

jasonjag
Banned

High Powered Cars

Post by jasonjag »

Several politicians have demanded ( on tonights news ) that young drivers not be allowed to drive high powerd cars, thus reducing the road toll, so ok they only drive 1600 cc cars insted,,,that still can reach 80- 100 klms, so whats to stop them still racing those cars, losing control and killing themselves, my proof there was years ago in a 1200 cc VW beetle racing a Mini Minor down Bindoon hill reaching 100 MPH, before the wind screen blew in,,yes we could been killed for our foolishness back then on worse condition roads than of today.
Toottoot
Banned

Re: High Powered Cars

Post by Toottoot »

jasonjag wrote:Several politicians have demanded ( on tonights news ) that young drivers not be allowed to drive high powerd cars, thus reducing the road toll, so ok they only drive 1600 cc cars insted,,,that still can reach 80- 100 klms, so whats to stop them still racing those cars, losing control and killing themselves, my proof there was years ago in a 1200 cc VW beetle racing a Mini Minor down Bindoon hill reaching 100 MPH, before the wind screen blew in,,yes we could been killed for our foolishness back then on worse condition roads than of today.
The politicians have been demanding this for years. You have proven it is just as easy to kill yourself in a low powered car.

It seems that therefore the conclusion reached is that there is no point in continuing to post these news articles as they are pointless.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

jasonjag wrote:Several politicians have demanded ( on tonights news ) that young drivers not be allowed to drive high powerd cars, thus reducing the road toll, so ok they only drive 1600 cc cars insted,,,that still can reach 80- 100 klms, so whats to stop them still racing those cars, losing control and killing themselves, my proof there was years ago in a 1200 cc VW beetle racing a Mini Minor down Bindoon hill reaching 100 MPH, before the wind screen blew in,,yes we could been killed for our foolishness back then on worse condition roads than of today.
I think you've hit the nail on the head when you said "politicians are demanding ..." - there's an election coming up, so all of a sudden they have to be seen to be "doing something".

I personally think that it's nothing more than a vote-grabbing stunt, and until someone can show me concrete, scientific evidence that it's a necessary step, then I'll remain skeptical.

(For the record, I wasn't a fan of the current midnight-to-5AM ban for red P-platers either. It's interesting that despite being disallowed on the roads for five out of twenty four hours, or about 21% of the day, there's been no reduction in a P-plater's licence and insurance fees by 21% to recognise that they are not "road users" for that period of time ;) )
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

I have a high powered car mainly in the shape of a new VE commodore. Just a few months ago I was still ending my P and most weekend nights I was attending dinners / speech's or returning from the airport late at night.

You would see many cars 'dragging' you from the traffic lights. Yes I was pulled over most late nights with P-Plates, but when the officers witnessed me in a suit or tie and with clients in the car [much to their amusement] they waved us on.

I agree there should be limitations, but I couldnt do without my style of car.
jasonjag
Banned

Post by jasonjag »

Zebedee wrote:
I think you've hit the nail on the head when you said "politicians are demanding ..." - there's an election coming up, so all of a sudden they have to be seen to be "doing something".

I personally think that it's nothing more than a vote-grabbing stunt, and until someone can show me concrete, scientific evidence that it's a necessary step, then I'll remain skeptical.

(For the record, I wasn't a fan of the current midnight-to-5AM ban for red P-platers either. It's interesting that despite being disallowed on the roads for five out of twenty four hours, or about 21% of the day, there's been no reduction in a P-plater's licence and insurance fees by 21% to recognise that they are not "road users" for that period of time ;) )
Thats right, and banning them for 5 hrs did not prove a thing with this latest fatal accident on the Mitchel freeway in broad daylight. it is the fool behind the wheel. regardless of the hour..
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

Probably just labors way of trying to look like it is tough on crime

even though it introduced truth in sentencing, removes jail period of 12 months or less in place of community orders, keeps police understaffed, weak on judges, weak on crime typical labor .. end of rant

So why not pick on the young kids?

p.s the majority of hoon driving I see is by 25 - 50 wits in holdens, fords leaving the pub half cut every night?.
CANT HEAR THE POLICE ANYMORE?
SEE THIS POST: http://warsug.info/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4424
jasonjag
Banned

No way

Post by jasonjag »

woobla1 wrote:Probably just labors way of trying to look like it is tough on crime

even though it introduced truth in sentencing, removes jail period of 12 months or less in place of community orders, keeps police understaffed, weak on judges, weak on crime typical labor .. end of rant

So why not pick on the young kids?

p.s the majority of hoon driving I see is by 25 - 50 wits in holdens, fords leaving the pub half cut every night?.
Yes you right there Woobla1" being drunk, but No way do the statistics show 50 yr olds racing like the young 17 yr P platers or to 24 yr olds.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Zebedee wrote:...and until someone can show me concrete, scientific evidence that it's a necessary step, then I'll remain skeptical.
Of all the deaths attributable to misuse of a motor vehicle and/or driver error (ie not mechanical failure, weather event etc), statistically how many of those vehicles are "high powered" or "performance enhanced" compared to standard around town 4 or 6 cylinder cars :?:

I have always been an advocate for power restrictions for in-experienced drivers.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

The police officer interviewed on tv mentioned possible restrictions based on power to weight ratios.
(eg a 1970's farm ute with a V8 engine and done 300 000km will have a smaller power to weight ratio than a 4 cylinder rice burner such as an EVO or WRX)
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

auntys_eyes wrote:
Zebedee wrote:...and until someone can show me concrete, scientific evidence that it's a necessary step, then I'll remain skeptical.
Of all the deaths attributable to misuse of a motor vehicle and/or driver error (ie not mechanical failure, weather event etc), statistically how many of those vehicles are "high powered" or "performance enhanced" compared to standard around town 4 or 6 cylinder cars :?:
Excellent question. Do you have an answer? The alleged statistics quoted on tonight's news were completely meaningless in the context of the issue at hand. They simply quoted statistics based on general vehicle power.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
jasonjag
Banned

Post by jasonjag »

auntys_eyes wrote:
AE Quoted part thereof: = Of all the deaths attributable to misuse of a motor vehicle and/or driver error

That is the key problem, exactly what AE says.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

It doesn't matter what car you have, You can drive like a dickhead in anycar and cause the same damage to another persons family.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

auntys_eyes wrote:
Yep that's the sort of thing I'd like to see - going back (say) ten years, any crash with a fatality, the age, number of years driving experience, and type of car involved.

If there is such a danger as the politicians want us to believe, surely someone has crunched those numbers and the information should be readily available ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
RevolutionX

Post by RevolutionX »

Motorbike riders are restricted to 250cc for the first year if I remember correctly. What sort of power to weight ratios do current 250cc bikes have and use that for cars driven by P platers. Then they can look like they are doing something without annoying the majority of the public. Also all japanese bikes are now electronically speed limited to 300kmh to meet european standards so that could be done for all cars as well.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Yeah, it is 12 months (or was when I got mine about 8 years ago) And it's not automatically upgraded.. you have to retest (or was etc. etc.)
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two