Perth Drivers

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Perth Drivers

Post by written_ficton »

Hi Guys / Girls????

Is it me or are perth drivers here shocking? Its either riding people rear ends, cutting up people, using the horns etc etc

Only just yesterday someone decided to take out my passengers side door after they drove out of a driveway.

Their reponse was:

"You were speeding - you wasnt there when I looked before"

Failed to point out that they were clearly in the wrong.....

So thats 8mths in Perth, 6 total pings in my car (1) new cars..... Does anyone agree Perth drivers are shocking?
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

yes i'll agree there, even worse when your in a bigger vehicle (ie the merc from our division) and they think they can pull out in front of you when they dont have time
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Oh well - found out that the driver bend the front quarter panel i.e bend the frame work

Car's a write off - Ooooot this makes 2new cars...... Another VE for me :lol:
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

ouch not good but good u get a new car hope you wasnt hurt to bad
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
JPhillips

Post by JPhillips »

Some are shocking (usally ones from other countries (no offence))

I suppose you have just been unlucky with those pings. I have been driving on road for over 2 years and i havent had any.
Joshua
yorky

Post by yorky »

I've been driving for 6-7 and never had a scratch. Now I know some of these are unavoidable but you just have to imagine eyes on the back of your head. Look EVERYWHERE when you are driving. I'll bet most accidents are from inattention (like the backing out of driveway on there part).

I always in my mind spot any potential hazards up ahead, driveways, walkways, are there kids playing nearby with balls, are you approaching an intersection with a opposite turning green arrow while yours is green (those intersections should be re-programmed to not do that). Is there a car behind you, beside you and do you have the correct following distance, if you swerve will you encounter a too-high kerb etc. Escape paths in your head are a must. Several times I've had people jam the brakes on in front, I have the correct following distance but the car behind me doesn't (and unavoidable due to traffic to slow down and increase my distance in front as they will just get closer), and I brake heavy (reaction time for the person behind too slow for the distance) and I execute an escape path (last one I remember is the start of a turning lane). Needless to say the tailgater ended up finishing his emergency brake 2cm FROM THE CAR IN FRONT of me with me next to him giving him the evil eye. Usually people wouldn't check the car behind and think 'yay I've stopped' behind the car in front before 100ms later you get sandwiched, game over.

Again I highly recommend advanced driving lessons. Go to DTEC or where ever else and take a day course or two. Half a day may be theory and spotting hazards but god dam its what every driver should know.

Yesterday a chick rear ended another chick at only 10km/h under locked-up brakes (wet). Tons of room to the left of shoulder to swerve under threshold braking, but nup smack into the other car... Sucks if your the car in front thats already just stopped, but again almost everytime I come to a stop I:

a) check that the person behind me is stopping (again told by driving instructor)
b) leave enough gap in front of you when stopped, if this car behind you isn't stopping or is skidding towards you, you MAY have a moment to gun it out of the way if theres a slip road or a low kerb (slim chance but no chance if your up someones butt already, this also helps if an emergency vehicle is coming up behind and if your stopped ass to nose you can't get out of the way. Once I had a heap of room, SJA comes up behind 5 cars back, gets stuck. I move onto the grassy side and that frees every other idiot that stopped at the lights ass to nose to follow suit and let it through).

/faints
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

yorky wrote:I've been driving for 6-7 and never had a scratch. Now I know some of these are unavoidable but you just have to imagine eyes on the back of your head. Look EVERYWHERE when you are driving. I'll bet most accidents are from inattention (like the backing out of driveway on there part).
That's one skill I had to get good at pretty quickly - My driveway is on a fairly steep slope, which makes rearwards visibility tricky, plus the driveway is opposite a T-junction, so I potentially have cars coming at me from three different directions as I'm backing out.

Makes for exciting times :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Reverse in :P
jasonjag
Banned

WA are worst

Post by jasonjag »

Zebedee wrote:
yorky wrote:I've been driving for 6-7 and never had a scratch. Now I know some of these are unavoidable but you just have to imagine eyes on the back of your head. Look EVERYWHERE when you are driving. I'll bet most accidents are from inattention (like the backing out of driveway on there part).
That's one skill I had to get good at pretty quickly - My driveway is on a fairly steep slope, which makes rearwards visibility tricky, plus the driveway is opposite a T-junction, so I potentially have cars coming at me from three different directions as I'm backing out.

Makes for exciting times :P
I was led to belive from so called statistics, that WA drivers were the worst in Oz. I believe it when I see how many fools gun Amber and even Red lights and do not even slow down, let alone STOP at a stop sign.

[edited by mod - spelling and grammar]
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

To ensure that I didn't miss anything when I'm coming out of the driveway at any time I reverse in. Unfortunately i've been in 2 accidents, both times I would have been classed as at fault, the first on scarbrough beach rd, I believe the car in front didn't indicate and didn't notice them slowing down and stopping! in the middle of the road to turn left.
Second accident was into the back of a 4 WD, in rush hour traffic, a bit hard to see around them at times to see what traffic is doing.
I think though with mates in the emergency services and my experiences in the emergency service and the RAR competition that I was in, I am a lot more careful. I have also done the DTEC Level 3 defensive driving course... well worth it!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Schism_ wrote:Reverse in :P
Reversing in would also be tricky, with such a steep driveway I literally couldn't hope to see a thing behind me as I went up the drive.

That would put the brick pillars and any other cars in the driveway at some distinct peril :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

get rid of the hill or getting a lifting hill and you can store the car in the hill like the bat mobile...hehe ok being realistic, I suppose that makes things hard, 4 way intersection is one thing, but when you're reversing into it it's another. If visibility is an issue, what about the mirrors that I think the local government is meant to install?
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

Steal some road closed signs and put them out before you leave? :lol:
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

ZBD, why don't you get a reversing camera. They cost a little bit but they can save you property and possibley some ones life.
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

Lucas_arts_182 wrote:ZBD, why don't you get a reversing camera. They cost a little bit but they can save you property and possibley some ones life.
21 years on road in wa and not a scratch lol.
gcs of 3