Membership.

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

Millsy

Membership.

Post by Millsy »

Maybe it's an Idea for the Admin/Mod team to have a clean up of members on this site?

Maybe it's time for the members who never post any substance in there messages to go else where...

I don't know what everyone else is thinking about it, but I know that this good site it rapidly turning into every other forum.

Those on Ozfire would see how strict and managed it is. Maybe Admin needs to add more Mod's?

And i'm not having a dig at the current Admin/Mods, I think there doing a great job with the amount of bullsh*t they have to read through ...
yorky

Post by yorky »

Problem is, where ever you go in life there are idiots. Can't be stopped.

If you ban such idiots, they just come back and cause MORE of a ruckus. Its a cycle.

On a site like this where basically anyone can sign up its almost useless to 'clean up' or ban said members without them just shaking there fist in the air and re-hitting signup.php.

Though I do agree with the sudden influx of people unable to string a sentence together or spell (pretty sure spell check was invented a long long time ago) its dumbed the IQ of the site down a notch. Back when I was viewing and joined it was always civil and respectful.

Now you get one person saying something odd and 3 pages of replies about it. I think that sort of attitude has to stop and I agree there are not enough Mods to deal with that (remember Mods are volunteers, they have better things to do than keep deleting/editing silly posts) however why should there be more mods? Why can't these habitual posters clean up there OWN act?

Things like posting the same thing in the CB forum a dozen times, continually giving out false info, giving one word replies, surely in the back of these peoples heads they know its wrong, yet post it anyway.

/gets off soap box.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Clontarf[X]

Post by Clontarf[X] »

Proof of age maybe, a.k.a Leisure Suit Larry style...

Granted I haven't been around here for long, but yes, some posters definitely have some maturity issues that need sorting.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Ahh yes thats the other thing. Age really can often mean nothing, most of the nonsense posters here will no doubt be of age. I would hazard a guess that only a small minority of posters are under 18. And even then I know a LOT of 18's that are much smarter and civilized then over 18's.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

I've been a member for almost 3 years now, Meaning i joined at 15, and i can never remember posting some of the random crap some members do?

Is it possible to ban IP address's?
yorky

Post by yorky »

I think you'll find most consumer ISP's are dynamic IP's. A simple reboot of there modem and they'll get a different IP.

Plus some people view from work and that would ban all the PC's at that site where another member may work.

Plus then the same user can also go to a different location to post/re-signup.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Looks to me like Admin and mods are already taking notice. I'm old school from the Fidonet days. Try not to be too annoying and don't be too easily annoyed. Try not to get too personal and don't take things too personally.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

robbage wrote:Looks to me like Admin and mods are already taking notice. I'm old school from the Fidonet days. Try not to be too annoying and don't be too easily annoyed. Try not to get too personal and don't take things too personally.
Got it in one I think. A lot of the members who have been around for a while and know about the sledging that goes on, particularly when someone doesn't always understand it and makes a mistake, have started warning people to ignore it.
Unfortunately as has been hinted in this thread and stated in others, deleting posts and user accounts isn't always an option. People aren't always who they say they are. A number of people have also been wrongly accused of being someone that they're not. Yes tracking of IP's might help but I have a dynamic IP at home, goodluck banning all IP's assigned by Westnet, you'd have a few other unhappy members.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Lucas_arts_182

Post by Lucas_arts_182 »

Millsy wrote:I've been a member for almost 3 years now, Meaning i joined at 15, and i can never remember posting some of the random crap some members do?

Is it possible to ban IP address's?
Im 15.. My spelling and grammar might not be the best, But atleast i try.
It has nothing to do with age.
The material on this forum depends on the maturaty of the users, not the age of the users.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I think it's time I had my 2¢ input.

L_a_182, you are 100% correct. Maturity is definately lacking in a number of members. I hate having to trawl through the crap that has been posted. :evil:
If some of the people showed a bit more maturity here, and didn't waste the other members' time and bandwidth, this forum would be a much better place.

As for spelling and grammar you can't do worse than typing your responses into a word processor. Run the spell/grammar checker that (usually) is installed with it. Copy then paste your post into WARSUG. Voila! Problem solved. One other way you can help yourself is use Mozilla Firefox as your web browser as it has spell checking included. ;)

Hey! I'm supposed to be on school holidays, not running an English class! :lol:
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

WPXZBP wrote:One other way you can help yourself is use Mozilla Firefox as your web browser as it has spell checking included. ;)
There's also IESpell for Internet Explorer that also lets you check your spelling before hitting the big magic "Post" button.

To add to what Wes has already mentioned, good spelling, punctuation and grammar is always helpful, because it means that others can more easily read what you've typed. If you've gone to the effort of contributing something you think is important and relevant, the last thing you'd want is for everyone to skip over your posts because they can't understand them.

Having said that, we're not here to "police" everyone's spelling. But it's just one of those things that makes life a little bit easier, if we can all understand what the others are saying (typing?)...
robbage wrote:Looks to me like Admin and mods are already taking notice. I'm old school from the Fidonet days.
Ahhhhhhhh, Fidonet. Now that brings back some memories :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Spelling is an issue at the minute yes, But so is using up page after page of just talking sheer non-sense! Personal attacks and Flaming arguements, And posts about nothing..
Schism_
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Schism_ »

I know some forums you can't use free email addresses eg. Hotmail/Yahoo/Gmail to sign up, you need one from an isp/domain... And you need email verification to become a member. Perhaps this would be a step in the right direction
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

WPXZBP wrote:Hey! I'm supposed to be on school holidays, not running an English class! :lol:
Agreed, but tell that to all the teachers who've been phoning the service desk! :).
I agree though, use Firefox, download the Australian English dictionary add in, and it provides similar functionality as word...e.g I just corrected my spelling of functionality by right clicking on it and selecting it. It wasn't hard, it only took 2 seconds.
Yes well unfortunately maturity is a problem, too many people live permanently by the rule of
Growing older is inevitable; growing up is optional
while this is a great quote and I like to utilise it, I realise there's a time and place for it.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.