Council Security Patrols

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Council Security Patrols

Post by westernwedgey »

Just curious does anyone know if these guys are actually trained security people or are they just glorified rangers with security stickers on their vehicles :?: :?:
yorky

Post by yorky »

While I can't speak for them all I would say most are 'trained' just to different extents as all councils are different and operate using different vehicles/radios/guidelines.

They are mostly there to observe and provide a presence more then get into any action as they have no more powers than you or I anyway.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: Council Security Patrols

Post by jmmw »

westernwedgey wrote:Just curious does anyone know if these guys are actually trained security people or are they just glorified rangers with security stickers on their vehicles :?: :?:
Greetings

We are indeed Security officers with a minimum of Cert II Security Operations & Senior First Aid. We are all licensed under the Security and Related activities control act 1996.

Some councils choose to combine their ranger services with the security services for various reasons either fully or partially. The council i work for has its security independant of the ranger service one of the biggest reasons for this is we are essentially a customer relations medium between council and residents and don't want to be seen as enforcing laws.

We have been classed as counsil law enforcement officers in an AIRC decision and are listed as public officers under the local government act 1995.

We have no more official powers then anyone else while not on council property, obviously once on council property you have more powers (ie trespass ect).

Each council is different in what it expects from its officers, some councils want purely observe report deter while the council i currently work with is moving in the direction of directing people through passive compliance.

It's not a bad job our recent in take of 6 new officers 3 weeks ago is now down to 3 because its not all shits and giggles as people believe we cop alot of abuse ranging from being spat on to having bricks ditched at our cars from bushes/over passes. Just this weekend two officers were assaulted and missed work and we have had people hospitalised etc etc.

We are a service for the police and the residents. We attend jobs police don't have to we attend noisy parties/suspicious people/vehicles/objects
Drunk people causing trouble/tresspassing and millions of other things and decide ourselves whether it warrants police attendance or whether it can be dealt with by us as to not tie up police resources on wild goose chases. Also when members of the community know what they are reporting might be an over reaction and dont want to bother police they can bother us. Ie i attended a job for a cat acting suspiciously, yes a cat like meow meow cat acting suspiciously.

Alot of people treat us like shit and unless you are happy with getting knives pulled on you and having 14 year old kids get in you're face ctalking shit its not really something you can get into. I'm fortunate enough to have an excellent team to work with and can get up at 4 am looking forward to having a laugh at work.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

oh man,cant u just give us the highlights. not whole story on it. :?
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

TL:DR

Some are rangers some arnt

Council security supports local police and residents by attending incidents that may not require wapol attendance.

Job is at times tough but always fun with the right team.
playworth
Banned

Post by playworth »

wow thanx jimm
NJ102 to VKI,where the option button on tadis.
VKI to NJ102,we dont have option button up here
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

playworth wrote:wow thanx jimm
No i in jmmw.

You're quite welcome i often cbf reading long posts that dont interest me.
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

Thanks jmmw for the explanation and clarification, and others for your input constructive or otherwise :roll:

If any more council security patrol members can pass on their insight to the topic it would be appreciated.

I can imagine a whole load of shitty call outs for you guys and most would probably be largely unappreciated for your assistance, just like WAPOL. :lol: :lol:
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

jmmw wrote:
westernwedgey wrote:Just curious does anyone know if these guys are actually trained security people or are they just glorified rangers with security stickers on their vehicles :?: :?:
We have been classed as counsil law enforcement officers in an AIRC decision and are listed as public officers under the local government act 1995.
Just to clarify..

"Council Law Enforcement Officers" here would only apply to things such as awards/wages etc. You'll find the phrase "Council Law Enforcement Officer" doesn't actually exist in any written law in this state.

"Public Officer" doesn't get a mention in the Local Government Act 1995 either. It is defined in the Criminal Code as someone exercising authority under a written law. Pretty much anyone in 'public employment' or volunteers providing services to the state are considered Public Officers whilst acting in that capacity and within the provisions of the relevant law.

It's interesting to see the different way councils operate security/ranger services. In some the same guys do both, in others the security guys also do parking control and a few don't do security at all.

Unfortunately these days, people tend to learn very quickly and at a young age that security personnel have very few powers. They also seem to think (incorrectly) that this also applies to Rangers.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Fastlane wrote:
jmmw wrote:
Just to clarify..

"Council Law Enforcement Officers" here would only apply to things such as awards/wages etc. You'll find the phrase "Council Law Enforcement Officer" doesn't actually exist in any written law in this state.

"Public Officer" doesn't get a mention in the Local Government Act 1995 either. It is defined in the Criminal Code as someone exercising authority under a written law. Pretty much anyone in 'public employment' or volunteers providing services to the state are considered Public Officers whilst acting in that capacity and within the provisions of the relevant law.
Absolutely correct the AIRC was dealing with wages at the time i should have been clearer i apologise.

Thanks for clearing up the public officer thing as thats just what the manager vaguely passed off said when i asked him about it, much like any question you ask him. I should have looked it up myself to get the facts straight. Cheers Fastlane!
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I worked for the same Council as JMMW and in my time of employment I was assaulted on one occasion. I arrested the offender and he was subsequently charged with Assaulting a Public Officer....and was found guilty in the Magistrates Court.

I believe that Council Security Patrols are valuable as they allow an extra resource for residents to use when trouble arises.

I also believe that by have Security appointed as Rangers makes them more efficient in their day to day operations.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

dazla wrote:
I believe that Council Security Patrols are valuable as they allow an extra resource for residents to use when trouble arises.

I also believe that by have Security appointed as Rangers makes them more efficient in their day to day operations.
Furthermore

I believe in Karma what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love 'til you've been burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side
I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye(Repeat 2)
Until you say goodbye

Oh no no no no no ( Repeats itself many times fading)

Im sorry i had too haha :lol:
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Riigghhtt..........will you let you run with that :?

Too much night shift mate haha
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

dazla wrote:Riigghhtt..........will you let you run with that :?

Too much night shift mate haha
night shift is easy! day shift is much much worse.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

jmmw wrote:Furthermore

I believe in Karma what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love 'til you've been burned

... etc
I approve of your choice in song, and thanks for the comprehensive post earlier with a description of what you do :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.