warsug

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

is this site slowly dying?

yes
35%
no
65%

Total votes: 34

brad_88

warsug

Post by brad_88 »

cause its bloody boring
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

and some of the mods are grumpy
luke

Post by luke »

it will wen police go digtal
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: warsug

Post by Fastlane »

Brad Michau wrote:cause its bloody boring
Well either contribute to make it 'more exciting' or bugger off?

Don't see anyone twisting your arm behind your back making you log on here..
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

jmmw wrote:and some of the mods are grumpy
Only when I don't get my coffee in the morning! 8)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Gavin,
I've only just had a look at the link in your sig, and your computers...I thought I was a nerd! Looks like a very interesting setup there!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

vk6hgr wrote:
jmmw wrote:and some of the mods are grumpy
Only when I don't get my coffee in the morning! 8)

:lol:
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Tyranus wrote:Gavin,
I've only just had a look at the link in your sig, and your computers...I thought I was a nerd! Looks like a very interesting setup there!
Thanks. Those photos are really old now too. Will have to take some more up-to-date ones :-)

But back on topic... if people think the site is 'slowly dying' - why?
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

Unfortunatly Gav I think there are several reasons why WARSUG is slowly dying. My response is not meant to offend anyone or target anyone so please take it as a grain of salt and dont be offended by it. First of all there is no consistancy with the mods on what is able to be posted on here and whats not meant to be posted. An example of this was when A police officers name was published some time ago the name was removed as requested and only a few months later when another officers name was published and asked to be removed it was allowed to stay and caused a few members to constantly bring the name up to stir the pot. Too much bitching amongst members. (Sorry people but it is true and yes I have been guilty of it). When group meets try to get organised it would be nice of those who say there going to attend to attend there is nothing more frustrating then having people say they will attend then pull out at the last minute. I know thatthings do change as the last minute as well but yes it gets frustrating. thats just a few. Please other members join in which will then allow the mods and admin to change this site for the better.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Donga wrote: First of all there is no consistancy with the mods on what is able to be posted on here and whats not meant to be posted.
Fair enough.

Moderating for the forum is done as a team by a few people who I trust. Although we usually agree on moderation policy, sometimes posts are deleted when they should have been kept (or vis versa). The job of moderating a forum such as this is not an easy one, especially when some members don't seem to understand the sensitive nature of a lot of what they monitor and observe. We (as mods/admins) trust that most people are going to do the right thing - and most people do.

Once something thorny is brought up (even if it is to stir), then what are we do to when practically overnight the entire thread explodes into a 5 page clash of on and off-topic posts? Do the mods just nuke the entire thread whenever they go off-topic?

The easiest way to not have your post moderated is to not force us to. Perhaps we should all consider, "Would I be prepared to shout this at the top of my lungs in the middle of the Hay St mall?" - before we click Submit :)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

Thanks for clearing some of that up Gav.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Another part of moderating a thread is knowing that it needs some moderation.

I don't live on the forums, I visit every day or two on average, the same as the rest of us I'm guessing.

And when I do log in, I don't necessarily have the time to read every thread ... I might just pick the ones that look interesting.

So please, everybody, don't assume that a friendly mod or admin will be along shortly to sort out a thread that's gone feral. Please bring our attention to it via the private message feature and we can take a look.

Now, on to other things ...

Donga, thanks for being open and honest with your opinions. It's a good starting point so we can all, as forum members, see how we can collectively improve the site so it's not only somewhere we ourselves want to be, but also a good enough resource for other scanner users to also want to come and join in the fun.

Organising group meets is one thing that we've tried to do in the past - with varying levels of success. Sure, it's not everybody's cup of tea but for the people who *are* interested, should we do more of this sort of thing?

For those who aren't keen, there's other stuff we could be doing, if someone would only come up with the idea :)

For example, the streaming scanner feed on the FESA channels was one thing that was discussed, and then it happened.

We've had various technical changes happen in the background which don't necessarily add more cool wow factor stuff, but just make the whole experience a little bit better. (Gav's ADSL2 for example!)

So, folks, here's your big chance. If you've got any ideas, share 'em. Even if you think they're a bit kooky, tell us anyway. We promise we won't laugh at you (much!)

And don't be worried that if you think of an idea, you'll be the one who's expected to implement it. If you can, and you offer, great. But if you just come up with the idea, someone else might be able to make it happen.

Cheers,
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

vk6hgr wrote:
Donga wrote: First of all there is no consistancy with the mods on what is able to be posted on here and whats not meant to be posted.
Fair enough.

Once something thorny is brought up (even if it is to stir), then what are we do to when practically overnight the entire thread explodes into a 5 page clash of on and off-topic posts? Do the mods just nuke the entire thread whenever they go off-topic?

The easiest way to not have your post moderated is to not force us to. Perhaps we should all consider, "Would I be prepared to shout this at the top of my lungs in the middle of the Hay St mall?" - before we click Submit :)
If such a thread is under the off-topic banner what exactly qualifies for off topic?

I mean with the taxi thread im quite sure it was all light hearted and it was just a thread to blabber on about anything. Isn't that what off-topic is for? stupid things that dont fit anywhere else?

We need a bit of fun in the forum maybe then less people will be so quick to burn someone who they know has a personality and isnt so serious.

"You cannot be mad at somebody who makes you laugh - it's as simple as that."

a little boy runs up to his mother, saying "mummy, mummy! Why am I called Leaf?"
His Mother replies: "because when you were a baby, a leaf fell on your head".

The next day, his little sister runs up, saying "mummy, mummy! Why am I called Petal?"
Mother replies: "because when you were a baby, a petal fell on your head".

The next day, their little brother runs up, saying: "sgfkljds gflkfjd g 0fd0fdig-0gid gfdgfgfgfgfgf,,,,,.m mmmmagagggggggggggggg" *dribbles*.
Mother says: "shut up, Fridge"
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

jmmw wrote: We need a bit of fun in the forum maybe then less people will be so quick to burn someone who they know has a personality and isnt so serious.

"You cannot be mad at somebody who makes you laugh - it's as simple as that."
Couldn't agree more :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

yuh i agree too
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)