Mains-powered smoke alarms to become compulsory

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 880578.htm

Mains-powered smoke alarms are to become mandatory in all Western Australian homes.

The State Government plans to introduce legislation later this year to ensure existing houses are fitted with the devices when they are sold.

[snip]

One thing I don't understand with mains-powered smoke alarms... they rely on mains power! Considering a large number of house fires are caused by roof cavity electrical faults, isn't there a good chance that the alarm will lose powerwon't sound anyway?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Donga
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Donga »

We have mains powered smoke alarms in our office with a battery back up. Hope that answers the qustion then again not all mains powered smoke alarms might have battery backup.
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

Donga wrote:We have mains powered smoke alarms in our office with a battery back up. Hope that answers the qustion then again not all mains powered smoke alarms might have battery backup.
Thats the point of it. The mains powered smoke alarms are designed so that the battery is always charged. The major problem with smoke alarms is that they are not often checked if the battery is flat...therefor its just a piece of plastic on your roof
yorky

Post by yorky »

Batteries still don't last forever unused though, eventually they run out of juice even not being used, even if they are re-chargeable.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
AV201
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by AV201 »

yorky wrote:Batteries still don't last forever unused though, eventually they run out of juice even not being used, even if they are re-chargeable.
True, but they last alot longer. Therefore its a better and safer option
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

We had 2 mains powered smoke alarms installed in our new house. I believe that the existing law is that all newly constructed homes must have mains powered smoke alarms installed, and that this new law expands that to all homes built OR sold.

This is similar to cars having to have immobilisers fitted at sale.

Mind you, when we took possesion of our house from the builder they said it would take 24-48hrs for the back-up battery in the alarms to charge up. One of ours was still beeping after a week, so i called them to fix it. Turns out the guy that installed it put the battery in the wrong way :roll: , so they are by no means fool proof.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!