grrgr

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

grrgr

Post by slipknot »

be aware not to mistake up north ads fror win tv, down south you should get busselton centro, eaton fair, crafters corft augusta, dbc, mainly bunbury ads.

up north gwn should have:
milon silos , blue scope steel (love that one) , mitcheal and brown, kalgollie bolder promotional package (shop lokally, KALgollie bolder).

someone might say "oh yer ive seen the milon sylo ad" but they may have seen it on win thinking it was gwn. make sure its gwn if you try the test for me.

thanks
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: grrgr

Post by Admin »

Well, uhh... that was random.
WPXZBP

Re: grrgr

Post by WPXZBP »

Admin wrote:Well, uhh... that was random.
Like.... totally! :?
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

hrmm :?
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

what are you guys talking about, thats basicly why i opened this thread!
trying to sort out the two gwns.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

GWN has 3 markets -

Internally they are referred to as:

GSW - Bunbury
GAW - Great southern
GNW - North west / all other areas

GSW is also referred to as BTW, which is the callsign for the Bunbury license.
GNW is referred to as WAW, which is the license for the satellite.
I'm not sure about GAW.

BTW gets trasmitted from their Bunbury studio via microwave link to the Mt Lennard tx site, covering the south west. There are also other areas of the SW that recieve the 'off air' signal from Mt Lennard and re-tx it.

GAW goes via a telstra fibre link that is very old and is likely to drop out at any moment (if it hasn't yet already done so!) - Telstra told GWN years ago that they would stop maintaining it, so if it breaks - then that's it, end of story. All of the GAW tx sites have a satellite dish and decoder ready to go for when the fibre stops working. They will automatically swich over in the event of no signal coming down the fibre.

GNW is transmitted from the Prime studio's in Canberra, and it's used in all other areas that aren't covered by those above.

There are other technicalities that come into it, but in laymen terms, that's the easiest way to explain it.

I am an ex employee from their Bunbury studio's and was there when the whole centralization project went ahead. I saw it go from Bunbury > Canberra (and lost my job as a result of it, because I was no longer needed!)
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Hey Bonez, you and i have more in common than we thought. I started my career at Mid Western Television (VEW8) in Kalgoorlie. I got retrenched when the 'original' GWN took over the VEW8 licence at the start of creating the state wide network (along with GTW11 - Geraldton and MTN - Mining Television Network). I have the destinction of being a GWN employee for 3 DAYS. :x
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

Bonez wrote:GWN has 3 markets -

Internally they are referred to as:

GSW - Bunbury
GAW - Great southern
GNW - North west / all other areas

GSW is also referred to as BTW, which is the callsign for the Bunbury license.
GNW is referred to as WAW, which is the license for the satellite.
I'm not sure about GAW.

BTW gets trasmitted from their Bunbury studio via microwave link to the Mt Lennard tx site, covering the south west. There are also other areas of the SW that recieve the 'off air' signal from Mt Lennard and re-tx it.

GAW goes via a telstra fibre link that is very old and is likely to drop out at any moment (if it hasn't yet already done so!) - Telstra told GWN years ago that they would stop maintaining it, so if it breaks - then that's it, end of story. All of the GAW tx sites have a satellite dish and decoder ready to go for when the fibre stops working. They will automatically swich over in the event of no signal coming down the fibre.

GNW is transmitted from the Prime studio's in Canberra, and it's used in all other areas that aren't covered by those above.

There are other technicalities that come into it, but in laymen terms, that's the easiest way to explain it.

I am an ex employee from their Bunbury studio's and was there when the whole centralization project went ahead. I saw it go from Bunbury > Canberra (and lost my job as a result of it, because I was no longer needed!)
so that also means that the gaw transmition wont be produced at the studios anymore ?

theres a OPTUS c1 and B3 transmitions, im just trying to determin weather the north west is on b3 and the south west bunbury is on c1.

i have seen the eaton fair bunbury ad seen on albany GWN when i was watching 24 but ive now returned to margaret river and ive never seen much albany ads on gwn. mayby it all ready has been cut as you said.
if north west gwn is on optus b3 , im gonna hopefully get it.
dunno weather just a normal optus c1 auroura card will work with b3.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

slipknot wrote:what are you guys talking about, thats basicly why i opened this thread!
trying to sort out the two gwns.

Whyyyyyyyy ? :?
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

becuase i prefere the up north ads than the down south ads
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

When I worked at GWN, I watched the up north version of GWN 40 hours a week. Trust me, the south west ads are much better.
HEKTIK
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by HEKTIK »

the GWN on B3 and C1 are both the same, the C1 is for the Aurora Package and the B3 GWN is a Backup, pity they arent FTA :(
Perth Online Police Scanner

http://waix.net:8000

RIP
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Yeah, GWN only has 1 satellite signal. It's the north west market.. just cause it's on 2 different satellites, it's still the same mpeg stream :)

South west and great southern are microwave and fibre based respectively.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

Bonez wrote:Yeah, GWN only has 1 satellite signal. It's the north west market.. just cause it's on 2 different satellites, it's still the same mpeg stream :)

South west and great southern are microwave and fibre based respectively.
it cant be . unless, do you really think so?
i can belive that microwave , wait, if the margaret river transmitter has no microwave dishes and has a satellite dish, how does it get the signals then, unless , hmm there is one huge directional antenna pointing towards the burikup site near bunbury which also transmitts gwn, you know i think your right, which means that dish for the radio stations.

hope this works. thats menas i may not need to worry about b3 cos its the same, meaning i can use just a normal aroura card, ill see what i can do.
thanks guys, thanks bonez
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by slipknot »

you were right bonez, thanks heaps! all i need now is a card optus.
thanks!!!!!

just one thing, why cant gwn just pay telstra to maintain the optic link to albany? its as if they are doing it volontaraly?

must be a very long optic cable!!!