Save our sport!

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Well as a motorsport fan, a good portion of what I watch is already only available via means other than free to air TV.

You can see V8 Supercars (but often only the main race, no support categories or qualifying etc) on FTA and Formula 1 if you're willing to stay up till around midnight on a Sunday night.

However MotoGP, Superbikes, A1GP, etc are all on pay TV.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Foxtel Digital ...... Poor quality , continuously repeated programs.Picture quality is degraded because they won't utilize the available bandwidth .Instead they put on channels no one wants to watch .
If you do get it installed make sure you use component out from the decoder (that is the red,green blue sockets ) anything less than that gives poor quality pictures on large screen tv sets. If the decoder only has yellow /red /black check the menu to see if you can use a scart socket and enable component or RGB out put .The difference is worthwhile but still not a patch on HD tv.
p.s. watch out for ads for select tv .you get to choose the decoder quality and hence the picture quality
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Thanks for the advice - will make sure they use component out.

PS: I have watched foxtel digital on a few decent size screens and find the picture quality to be fine. Its not HD, but its not bad.
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Up until recently i was a major service centre for most brands and overall the biggest complaint we had about lcd,plasma and dlp tv /projectors was the analogue tv with poor quality antennas OR foxtel .people believed (and were told by retailers ) that fox digital was as good as or the same as digital tv(hdtv) .Then the customer came to me as they have paid 5 - 10,000 dollars on a tv and have a poor picture . In the country ,if you are lucky you have abc/sbs as digital and the rural tv stations standard tv so people invest in fox and are quite disapointed.
Overall if you are happy with the picture that is good but may you never see a proper hdtv as you will probably be disapointed.
FOX digital IS NOT HDTV and is a very poor substitute , but it is better than standard tv with a poor antenna
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

I'm lead to believe the best quality TV you're going to get in Australia is from Channel 9 Perth on their HD channel when they are broadcasting HD content (not upconverted). They use more bandwidth for their High Def channel than any of the others, even 9 in other states, presumably as the station is still independently owned?

You also dont get that crappy watermark in the corner, which can be a problem with a plasma tv if its left in the same place long enough...
Walks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Walks »

Turbo wrote:Thanks for the advice - will make sure they use component out.
Foxtel installers will not fit this as standard. You may have to buy the leads from Tandy or such prior to install and get him to use it when he hooks it up.

Walks.
I was there when they flicked the switch
June 2, 2008
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Cheeky buggers. Im sure I have some anyway. Cheers Walks.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Turbo wrote:Cheeky buggers. Im sure I have some anyway. Cheers Walks.
FYI... http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.store ... uct/CA0400

:)
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Cheers - so Foxtel only has SCART component on the back?

PS: Sorry for turning this thread into my foxtel thread 8-[