News west and WIA news times in Albany

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

FOUNDATION
Amateur callsign: VK6FCRC
Scanners and Receivers: (UNIDEN BEARCAT UBC355XLT ) (Wouxun 920p) (Baofeng UV-5R) (Kenwood Ts-430s) (yaesu 450D) (Baofeng GT-5TP) (ORICOM UHF088) (DICK SMITH HORNETT 2) (UNIDEN 980 SSB) (various phillips) (tait can't remember the model) (simoco unsure the model) (baojie 218)

News west and WIA news times in Albany

Post by FOUNDATION »

The club VK6SR used to broadcast the newswest and wia national news broadcast yet now they don't many foundation licence candidates because of this miss out on getting a ham licence we don't hear anything anything on our scanners so don't we know when courses are on and we only get part of the information or not all.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: News west and WIA news times in Albany

Post by Zebedee »

Have you considered joining the club and offering to help with the broadcasts?
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
VK6LD
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by VK6LD »

Southern Electronics Group (VK6SR) is currently testing a script to download and play the WIA & VK6 News Broadcasts across repeaters in Albany, Mt Marker & Manjimup on Sunday mornings. Still a few more bugs to iron out before putting it on air with confidence, but time permitting hopefully will be ready to go in the next few weeks. 8)

Albany repeater is now also on 70cms, 438.025MHz is the frequency. The 2m repeater is no longer in service.

73's

Rob...
VK6LD
FOUNDATION
Scanners and Receivers: (UNIDEN BEARCAT UBC355XLT ) (Wouxun 920p) (Baofeng UV-5R) (Kenwood Ts-430s) (yaesu 450D) (Baofeng GT-5TP) (ORICOM UHF088) (DICK SMITH HORNETT 2) (UNIDEN 980 SSB) (various phillips) (tait can't remember the model) (simoco unsure the model) (baojie 218)

Post by FOUNDATION »

I have recently paid my membeship into vk6sr and thanks to listening to vk6wia's news west broadcast via podcast i have booked into the ham colledge course on the 19th and 20th of this month. i have been listening on my uniden beaarcat ubc 355 xlt scanner to the 70cm vk6ral repeater output on 438.025mhz to get an understanding of how to use a amateur repeater is used . the foundation manual is getting people confused where my understanding is calling cq is only for hf but the foundation mannual book 3 dosen't say this from memory so what is correct ?.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

FOUNDATION wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:53 am the foundation manual is getting people confused where my understanding is calling cq is only for hf but the foundation mannual book 3 dosen't say this from memory so what is correct ?.
What parts of the manual are confusing?

"Calling CQ" means you are wanting to talk to any station, not one particular person / callsign / station. It's commonly heard when using HF but isn't restricted to only those bands.

There's nothing to say you can't call CQ on a VHF or UHF frequency. It's "generally not done" as a matter of convention when calling on a local VHF/UHF repeater. People normally say something like "VK6FXXX listening" or similar. If someone wants to talk to you they will, if they don't then they won't! :)

The Foundation manual contains most of the stuff you need to know - and a bunch of extra stuff too that you won't need to know to pass your assessment but it's handy info anyway. The course will put it all into context for you, give you a chance to practice on air and pick up tips, tricks and general conventions.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
FOUNDATION

Post by FOUNDATION »

FOUNDATION wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 am The club VK6SR used to broadcast the newswest and wia national news broadcast yet now they don't many foundation licence candidates because of this miss out on getting a ham licence we don't hear anything anything on our scanners so don't we know when courses are on and we only get part of the information or not all.
Newswest and WIA news is now broadcast in Albany by myself on Sundays at 9am and 7pm on HD Amateur Television using frequency 446.500 Mhz and soon will be Available via https://batc.org.uk/live/vk6fcrc