Road Rules Q&A

Off topic stuff that just doesn't fit anywhere else. This is the place for jokes and rants :-) Strictly no advertising!

Moderator: Bonez

yorky

Road Rules Q&A

Post by yorky »

Hi all,

The thought occurred to me after viewing this article today http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-20/k ... al/5400512 + https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=877138792303285 that there should be a more open discussion about road rules and the laws.

I'll start by saying people should have a browse through the Road Traffic Code 2000 http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... tc2000113/ where the majority of the regulations are stated. There is also the Road Traffic Act 1974 http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... ta1974111/ which is also a good read.

If I've missed out any important links feel free to post them.

I've had many instances on the daily commute that I ask myself was that person or I in the wrong, and what penalty would be associated with the offence. For example, using high beams which you see people using all the time, is not legal to do so unless you are about to overtake. Or using the horn where even though people overuse the device it does state that you can you use it if "it is necessary to use the horn, or warning device, to warn other road users or animals of the approach or position of the vehicle".

And regarding the original links up the top, what are the chances that people merging will think they have right of way being ahead of the vehicle in the normal lane and cut them off, since it's been drummed into us that way? Of course the difference being the dotted line, which I've now seen added to several on ramps not just the articles trial areas and seen vehicles almost run themselves off the road as the lane suddenly gets thinner, and thinner...

So on top of a discussion on the regulations, we should also post here any questions that we are unsure of so that we can get to the bottom of what is lawful, and what isn't!
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Re: Road Rules Q&A

Post by robbage »

If I read that article correctly I think it will fail. Cars coming up the on-ramp are already at a disadvantage because their lane is about to end and they are supposed to be matching the speed of the traffic on the motorway. They should have the right of way over cars already on the motorway (IMO). Now they have to give way even if they are in front. The left lane is the slow lane. Drivers in the slow lane should be prepared for mergers.

More education to drivers as well. Daily I encounter drivers in front of me on an on-ramp who do 60 kmph merging into 90 or 100 kmph traffic. Should already be doing near the speed of the vehicles on the motorway when you're merging.

Also FWIW, traffic enforcement should spend more time pulling up drivers who undertake in the left lane. Brit traffic do a good job of this from what I've seen. If you're using the slow lane to get around traffic, you deserve everything that happens to you.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
yorky

Post by yorky »

With undertaking, I thought there was a law against it in WA as well as the UK? The closest I can find is this one http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s122.html

Code: Select all

(1)         When overtaking a moving vehicle, a driver of a vehicle (other than a bicycle) shall, except as provided in subregulations (2) and (3), pass to the right of that vehicle, at a safe distance. 
This seems to make sure you pass on the right on a single lane carriageway BUT say for the freeway as it says subregulation (2) states:

(2)         Where a carriageway is a one‑way carriageway, or has 2 or more marked lanes for vehicles travelling in the same direction, a driver may overtake and pass in another marked lane to the left of a vehicle, if conditions permit him or her to do so with safety. 
So you can't, but you can?

Issues I've come across on the freeway include vehicles travelling too slow in the right lane, with clear lanes to the left (which yes, is definitely against the law). I pretty much have to overtake to the left to get past as there is no way in hell they want to give up the right lane. When this happens and there is more than 2 lanes I go at least 1 extra lane across.
LighteningCrashes
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Tait2020

Post by LighteningCrashes »

yorky wrote:With undertaking, I thought there was a law against it in WA as well as the UK? The closest I can find is this one http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... /s122.html

(1)         When overtaking a moving vehicle, a driver of a vehicle (other than a bicycle) shall, except as provided in subregulations (2) and (3), pass to the right of that vehicle, at a safe distance. 
This seems to make sure you pass on the right on a single lane carriageway BUT say for the freeway as it says subregulation (2) states:

(2)         Where a carriageway is a one‑way carriageway, or has 2 or more marked lanes for vehicles travelling in the same direction, a driver may overtake and pass in another marked lane to the left of a vehicle, if conditions permit him or her to do so with safety. 
So you can't, but you can?

Issues I've come across on the freeway include vehicles travelling too slow in the right lane, with clear lanes to the left (which yes, is definitely against the law). I pretty much have to overtake to the left to get past as there is no way in hell they want to give up the right lane. When this happens and there is more than 2 lanes I go at least 1 extra lane across.
Really??

Subregulation (1) states that you are only allowed to pass on the right unless subregulation (2) or (3) allow otherwise. Subregulation (2) allows passing on the left so there is no case of "you can't but you can" as it clearly states you can.
yorky

Post by yorky »

I guess I didn't word that part very well.

Yes, clearly you can. What I was getting at was there doesn't appear to be a law against undertaking. As robbage would have liked to see people pulled up and told off but unfortunately the law states otherwise (even though I do agree with robbage undertaking is dangerous act).
LighteningCrashes
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Tait2020

Post by LighteningCrashes »

Don't see why....if you are driving safely cars should be able to pass any which way around you. If your going to change lanes without looking....well Charles Darwin had a theory about that....